Is there professional called photographer?

If this computer typing job you have pays the rent why freelance? In my opinion I think I'd rather join those competitions than free lancing, which I'm doing. Rather free lance commit to a deadline, etc. Too time consuming and I don't like the responsibility to customer too.

Anyway, in the end of the day its your decision we're just here to share our one cent.

If this computer typing job you have pays the rent why freelance? In my opinion I think I'd rather join those competitions than free lancing, which I'm doing. Rather free lance commit to a deadline, etc. Too time consuming and I don't like the responsibility to customer too.

Anyway, in the end of the day its your decision we're just here to share our one cent.

OT a bit,

Those competition which gear to give a prize generally will claim the usage of the images that you enter in any way they want without any payment to you. It is really saying, you can kiss good bye with your image. Worst if you don't win anything.... Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Hart

I don't mind that as long as the competition is free.

To daredevil

Those are the "peoples" time, camera, gas, fare, etc...not yours or anyone else. Get over it.

Moving on...

there are two type of competitions we all know,

one is held by photography societies or associations, usually call print competition, mainly open to members only, the standard of expectation is very high, and the copyright of the submitted photos is still belong to the photographers, photographers partaking such competition is not about the prizes, but the recognization of their hard work, creativity, fine craftsmanship by their peers and judges.

one is held by company/organizers to gather some images which in favor of them at very low cost in the name of photography competitions, lurking photographers with prizes, once you submit your photos, regardless win or not, you already kiss your photos goodbye. the photos no longer belong to you, you can't use them in further.

for the formal I didn't partake as I think my standard is not high enough.

for the latter, I also didn't join as I think I rather to sell my photos for $0.25 per download, and don't forget I still own the photos, still making more money than the prize.. lol.....

my photos are making money for me even I'm sleeping.........I can sleep with a smile........ lol

I happen to chance across this thread whilst browsing.

As i started reading from the 1st thread, I chuckled once I realized that many of us do not fully understand the definition of freelance and, full timers, as well as part timers.
In fact, I do get questioned alot by my clients and potential wedding couples on the issue whether I am working as a freelance photographer or a full time working photographers.

As a self employed and running a registered legal business in Singapore, I am working freelance for wedding couples and I am also a full time photographer, being that photography contributed the bulk of my taxable income. However when I replied I am a freelance photographer ( becoz I took assignment from corporate, government as well as other event companies ) my most common reacted reply from them were, " Oh so you are part time photographer ! "

Well I am not. And common manners dictates that one would not be rude to the less informed. Of coz some explanation went on in between.

My guess is that if one is not in the industry, one don't bother to look up in the dictionary and instead try to find a quick fix either through self justifying ( I am right syndrome ) or posting on the forum. One should not get upset when they are looked upon ignorant and lazy. It is after all, a very simple term.

....tired .. post next time ....

Thanks for the insights, catchlight, that's a more sensible explanation. But what I'm trying to point out here is its not my bussiness or anyone's bussines to care what they wish to do with their photos, camera and money. We're all individuals here so why does Mr. Daredevil and his henchman have to discourage the "people" what I/we want to do? But hey, everyone is entitled to his own opinion and happens I just don't care where my photos would go.

These people who "kaypoh" at another ones bussiness, discourages them, be sarcastic at them, DISGUSTS me.
Moving on.

Thanks for the insights, catchlight, that's a more sensible explanation. But what I'm trying to point out here is its not my bussiness or anyone's bussines to care what they wish to do with their photos, camera and money. We're all individuals here so why does Mr. Daredevil and his henchman have to discourage the "people" what I/we want to do? But hey, everyone is entitled to his own opinion and happens I just don't care where my photos would go.

These people who "kaypoh" at another ones bussiness, discourages them, be sarcastic at them, DISGUSTS me.
Moving on.

I don't believe daredevil or anyone here trying to discourage anyone to do anything, we merely stated the facts so people can have a piece of info for them to consider. If it come across to you as discouraging, then there is nothing we can do.

If I am a beginner, I would rather know these and decide for my own rather then not having it.

Regards,

Hart

I happen to chance across this thread whilst browsing.

As i started reading from the 1st thread, I chuckled once I realized that many of us do not fully understand the definition of freelance and, full timers, as well as part timers.
In fact, I do get questioned alot by my clients and potential wedding couples on the issue whether I am working as a freelance photographer or a full time working photographers.

As a self employed and running a registered legal business in Singapore, I am working freelance for wedding couples and I am also a full time photographer, being that photography contributed the bulk of my taxable income. However when I replied I am a freelance photographer ( becoz I took assignment from corporate, government as well as other event companies ) my most common reacted reply from them were, " Oh so you are part time photographer ! "

Well I am not. And common manners dictates that one would not be rude to the less informed. Of coz some explanation went on in between.

My guess is that if one is not in the industry, one don't bother to look up in the dictionary and instead try to find a quick fix either through self justifying ( I am right syndrome ) or posting on the forum. One should not get upset when they are looked upon ignorant and lazy. It is after all, a very simple term.

....tired .. post next time ....

Yes, the terms are often use loosely for those who don't understand.

To be honest, I do mind in the beginning, but soon I realise there is no issue at all.

I get ask often, if photography itself can be sufficient to earn a living...

Life is short, you can always see things with an open mind and have a laugh rather than the other way.

Regards,

Hart

I learnt a new word, "lifestyle job" by Hart, this is really good.

For competition, the fact that my photo is used (with acknowledgement) is considered a winning for me :) of course getting money from it will be good also :)

Moving on.

Brother, don't be so assuming, nobody is nobody's henchmen. Sweeping statements is how readers get offended. They are only trying to warn you against contest preying on inexperienced photogs. You overreacted.

I can't agree with Agetan more. For each day behind the lens I'd put in at least 3 days of meetings, organising and orchestrating a typical photoshoot, that includes time spent batching and so on. However as you get older and far more experienced you should learn to pass on as much of the mundane work to an assistant as possible, thus you can concentrate on being behind the lens which is where you actually earn the dollars. Though to be fair if you know your stuff you'll build in coverage for all the other time in to your quotations in the first place.

It's not an easy profession and thanks to the Cheap Charlies, wannabees and bottom feeders certain areas of the market are overflowing with poor quality work passing itself off as being work of merit. However there's plenty of gold to be found outside of Singapore.

Thanks Ian,

I must admit that Singapore is a good market as it has a very concentrated wealthy people. If quantity is what one's business model, Singapore is too small.

Australia is great but the distribution of wealthier market is a lot more sparse, so u have to do more to achieve the same. Just my experience with the 2.

Regards,

Hart

leyash111 said:
I learnt a new word, "lifestyle job" by Hart, this is really good.

For competition, the fact that my photo is used (with acknowledgement) is considered a winning for me :) of course getting money from it will be good also :)

I think the seniors are trying to explain the meaning of intellectual property or copyright. And secondly they are telling us to be in control of our works and not let anyone take it from us.

In the competition where it claims the ownership of your pic, it means u cannot use it for any other things in future. And if you do so and the competition organizer finds out, they can sue your ass off. By then, u will be wondering "this is MY photo, why can't I use it?" it's the pride that's in you that will feel hurt and u will feel that your work had been stolen under your nose.

So be mindful of the competitions u r joining.

If u really dont mind submitting your works to competitions and lose your copyrights, then be careful of using your works in future for any other purposes.