Is my equipment enough to go overseas?

Hi guys,

I'm preparing my camera equipments to bring to overseas for holiday. I'm not sure if my stuffs is enough for the trip.

Here are my equipments:
1) Lowepro Slingshot 350AW
2) Canon 550D with kit lens (18-55mm) & battery grip
3) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
4) Canon orginal tripod

Do I need any more stuffs for the trip?
What is enough is dependent on what you shoot, and how you shoot it. For me it is both not enough and too much. I'll bring my D90, 12-24, SB600, ND filter, my tripod and bag only. That's all I need (also all I have lol). We don't know what you are shooting and how you shoot, so we can't advise properly. For all we know you're going to shoot birds during your holiday, in which case you need longer focal range lenses and a better tripod.

Hi guys,

I'm preparing my camera equipments to bring to overseas for holiday. I'm not sure if my stuffs is enough for the trip.

Here are my equipments:
4) Canon orginal tripod

Even with a camera phone, it is enough to go overseas... There is no requirement that you need to bring certain equipment (if any) to go overseas...

You might want to consider removing that battery grip since most people would want to travel light...

Depends on where u go? If u going to shoot alot of landscape and architectures, then 28.8mm may not be wide enough.

go shooting in spore for a while.

you will get a better idea of what you need, and dont need.

for normal fun shoot, I will simply rent a 18-200mm and tats it... maybe I will bring my flash with me too only because i use quite a lot of them.

i would just go with kit lens yhen source and buy lens there. might get good price as you got GST refund as a tourist! might have some good deals. hehe. :D

rhino123 said:
for normal fun shoot, I will simply rent a 18-200mm and tats it... maybe I will bring my flash with me too only because i use quite a lot of them.

the rental will be quite siong if the trip is long wouldnt it?

Errz said:
can buy new and sell . or buy 2nd hand and sell at the same price later (better than renting.. at $0 cost!).. there are ppl doing this in BNS LOL

sounds like a good idea. :D!!!

enjoy ur trip.
dun burden urself with too much photography stuffs, u might upset ur travellin party.

u hv to know what u wanna shoot, only then u will know what to bring.

ur kit lense should be a good starting pointto figure out what u like to shoot.

you can bring all you want, as long as you dont find it heavy or expect your party to help you carry the gears

i believe your 18-55 is more than sufficient, keep the 70-300 at home

As long as you don't forget your battery and you SD card.

Hi guys,

Here are my equipments:
4) Canon orginal tripod

the rental will be quite siong if the trip is long wouldnt it?

Well... I never go on too long a trip before... except for one time... and at that time, I just bought a second hand lens, went overseas, shoot all I want, then came back and sell the lens away with no lost on my part :)

Hi guys,

Here are my equipments:
4) Canon orginal tripod

Enough is enough when the equipment you brought over can shoot the things you want to shoot.
So without stating whats your plan or intention. i guess the gears you stated is already good enough. You have 2 lenses. Covering you from 18-300MM already.

Pls prepare and bring what you need..not what you think you lack or want. If thats the case...
Everyone should just carry their dry cabinet behind their back..

Last edited:
Whatever you bring, make sure it looks like it fits the carry on luggage requirements as well as various air travel safety regulations on things like batteries and etc.

Think depends on individual, I too prefers to travel light, but will still bring a UWA with me also.

If that's all you have, that's all you have.
I don't see a point buying anything more just for a trip.

The main thing to me from reading some of your questions is that you got to get your fundamentals right instead.
Read up, shoot more now, review, learn, shoot more again.
If you can, join one or two outings on CS, to get a bit of one on one with more experienced shooters.

Your setup looks fine.
Personally, I'd usually bring a small flash, but its not a must, and you'd need to learn to use it last minute.
Make sure you bring enough storage for the photos and have a spare batt or two.
Beware of theft. Don't book tables with your camera bag. ;)

TS, if these are the equipment u have then I suggest u try to understand their strengths rather than be constraint by their weakness. Equipment will never be enuf, so it is better to understand what your equipment can do and then put yourself in those situations that u make fully harness them.

Apart from a walkabout lens (eg, your kit lens) and a superzoom (70-300mm), i would suggest a prime (50mm) and a UWA (11-16mm). These are my usual gear when I go for my photographic trips.

For such a long trip, I wud also suggest that you prep some sensor swipes (and soln) just in case. I had an alarming exp of spotting dust on my sensor when I was overseas recently. Those swipes are lifesavers if you know how to use them correctly :).

You have to also think about how you are going to store your pics. U wouldn't want to keep them in your memory cards cause they are easily misplaced.

Good luck.

Hi TS, the most important thing to note is what is your photographic style? And what would you expect to shoot most frequently?

Like most that has replied here, I will travel as light as possible, as carrying gears can really weigh you down. For you, I would recommend just bringing the body + kit lens. BG is definitely not needed, and tripod depending on what you intend to shoot. 70-300mm, unless you need the range, which would boil down to your photographic style/needs.

What is needed though is more memory cards and spare batteries as you may not have time to upload photos to your computer or recharge batteries daily.