Is lossless compressed raw available for A7III or A7RIII

lacimarkus

Aug 29, 2010
Singapore
Hi - I'm thinking of picking up an A7(R)III, but don't know if they've added lossless compressed raw support for these. I know the A7IV can do it at multiple raw sizes, but suspecting the A7III series cameras have been left out. Can anyone confirm, please? Thank you!
Marcus

My research show that a7r3 does not have lossless compressed raw ( only lossy compressed raw ) I can understand why you want lossless raw file . Compared to a7m4 the raw file of a7r3 is 85mb vs 65mb. Even the lossy raw file is bigger , 43mb for a7r3 vs 35mb.

Also a7r3 is discontinued being replaced by a7r3a.

Even comparing lossy compressed raw of a7r3 vs a7m5 lossless compressed raw there are compression artifacts if you pixel peep for both cameras but is not apparent in normal photos or low light. You see it mostly at edges of high contrast. For what it's worth decide for yourself if lossless raw is important or not.

This is Sony's advice on raw or compressed raw application.

Also take note that you only get the full 14 bit raw only on single shot mode for A7m4 or slower continuous frame rate (6fps).

Another thing to understand is that the A7 IV can work at 10fps only when shooting JPGs or Lossy Compressed RAW. With other RAW settings (lossless compressed or uncompressed), the speed drops to 6fps.

By comparison, the A7R III remains close to 10fps even with uncompressed RAW.

See URL below.

Another thing to consider. A7r3 is 42mp vs A7m4 33mp.

Screenshot_2023-08-06-23-23-50-876_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

A7m3 lossy compressed raw

A7m5 compressed raw comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: lacimarkus
Thanks heaps for the extensive answer - much appreciated!