Is clubsnap a good place to learn photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well said and excellent advice :thumbsup:
Not all are that bad in this forum when it comes to communication skills; not necessarily sugar coating but excellent skills blended with honesty. Like someone ever said EQ is zero for some here, well that's life. Knowing if there's nothing concrete from such people, next time simply by-pass whatever they post because you know they have nothing to offer anyway. The more you react, the more pleasure they derive out of their insult. Why succumb ?:)

I can accept brutal honesty but mockery over you being a newbie kind of suck....

Well, I will react less then...........HAHA!

I definitely learn some photography tips on cs and learn from others' work. But the problem is you cannot learn photography through your own pictures. Basically, when you post pics on the forum, pple either ask you to read up w/o giving comments on the pic, or they simply dun give any comments at all. LOL. I dun mind have very lousy and heart breaking comments but getting NO comments at all........yar. Lousy and bad critique is so much better than no comments...

And when you ask a qn, you have to be extremely clear. I recently post a qn and I didnt make my self clear euff. My intention is to ask those using vivitar usw that if they will use it taking indoors because the pics seemed to be underexposed . But I should shot myself because I asked this: "I keep having underexposed pics using vivitar, do you guys have the same problem using it?" the tone is not right because it sounded as though i am blaming the cam which i didnt intend to. So one guy came in with a reply saying that, it's photographer fault not the poor cam in a sacarstic manner. I dun understand why they have to be so tough on newbies and dun forget everyone is a newbie in the beginning.

remember that CS like everywhere else is made up of human beings. Reasons for sacarstic remarks (assuming that you are not being sensitive or that you were not in the wrong in the 1st pl)

1) some guys have their bad days and 1 2 take it out on someone and you happened to be the convenient target.
2) some guys are sacarstic in nature; they do it to everyone, everytime
3) some guys are brand loyal (say anything bad abt vivitar or Canon and its ur fault - u ask for it)
4) some guys dunno anything but 1 2 sound like they know everything - give a nice sounding answer to awe everyone

there are all kinds of ppl in this world, dun let urself b dishearten by jus a couple of them, they are not worth it ... by and large, CS'ers are willing to help and explain (even for Qns that has been raised so many times that you wonder if you can compare that to sand in the beach or stars in the sky) ...

happy shooting :)

remember that CS like everywhere else is made up of human beings. Reasons for sacarstic remarks (assuming that you are not being sensitive or that you were not in the wrong in the 1st pl)

1) some guys have their bad days and 1 2 take it out on someone and you happened to be the convenient target.
2) some guys are sacarstic in nature; they do it to everyone, everytime
3) some guys are brand loyal (say anything bad abt vivitar or Canon and its ur fault - u ask for it)
4) some guys dunno anything but 1 2 sound like they know everything - give a nice sounding answer to awe everyone

there are all kinds of ppl in this world, dun let urself b dishearten by jus a couple of them, they are not worth it ... by and large, CS'ers are willing to help and explain (even for Qns that has been raised so many times that you wonder if you can compare that to sand in the beach or stars in the sky) ...

happy shooting :)

Agree...Haha.. I think newbies like me shld filter away the sarcasm and learn from the pros...

Agree...Haha.. I think newbies like me shld filter away the sarcasm and learn from the pros...

Please learn from real pros..there are many impostors around :bsmilie: Sometime I can't understand why some people have such low tolerance, when they, themselves are real culprits in showing taboos in photography and have audacity to criticise another person and not their works eg photograph of people using wide angle :bsmilie: Come on we need to take a break and laugh it off, happiness is a choice. Hope you find that here..:bsmilie:

I think newbies encounter such incidents.... But I also dun really encourage spoon speeding too....But when you read bks and you dun understand and you need help, and you ask some stupid qns, they will mock at you.... I wont say all of course because some are really really kind to give long comments upon something you post to help you out. Giving good comments is nver equivalent to mockerings....

i think so long as one displays the attitude of having tried to learn in the first place

most people here are more than happy to help

there is a huge world of difference between a newcomer who has shown genuine interest and a positive attitude and open mind, and a newcomer who opens his mouth wide and tells everybody to dump whatever information they can in.

if you haven't noticed already, threads here whereby the newcomer has a better sense of where he's coming from and where he's going get a lot more responses which are serious.

it isn't wrong not-to-know, but if you come in and expect a run-through of the basics from people, i am curious why this is being done in the first place - hasn't anyone here seen sulhan's photography basics thread? hasn't anyone here read zoossh's newbie guide thread? i have directed people there more than once, and sometimes, they just ignore the fact that there is loads of information there which would answer their queries much easily, along with other problems they may encounter. i think it's a sadder fact that we have people here who put in effort to help out but they not only don't get thanked, no one reads their thread.

furthermore, this isn't photographic school. most people posting here are full-grown adults. of course if one has trouble understanding the intrinsics of the internet due to generation gap, it's a different story.. but i would like to think that the majority should have no trouble.. which perturbs me as to why we are getting fundamental questions. if there are 8000 sites out there, why not read them, they will be written and expressed in a much better and basic way than what most here would give you. that is my point.

what can you expect to gain from cs? loads.
what can you expect not to gain from cs? loads.

how does one gain from cs? read a lot, shoot a lot, and post their pictures up for critique without becoming too overly defensive when people give constructive comments. filter the obvious troublemakers who are out to slam every newbie/everybody in fact, from the ones who are possibly curt and scathing but are really trying to help. that is definitely the best way to go about it.

Please learn from real pros..there are many impostors around :bsmilie: Sometime I can't understand why some people have such low tolerance, when they, themselves are real culprits in showing taboos in photography and have audacity to criticise another person and not their works eg photograph of people using wide angle :bsmilie: Come on we need to take a break and laugh it off, happiness is a choice. Hope you find that here..:bsmilie:

?!

sorry for the slight ot, i am interested to know why photographs of people using wide angle are taboo, especially when the distortion is not on the person itself

most of the portrait photography books i have read do not exactly mention this as a rule - other than the fact that you should not shoot too closely to the person else they will become distorted

otherwise, a wide angle lens to take people is more than ok - it has the benefit of showing the setting, etc. of course if you're talking about classic type of portraits, then it is a different story. a lot of our really good professional wedding photographers and prominent portrait & pose members here use a lot of the wide angle lens when shooting people.. so i'm not really sure where you're coming from.

CS is a good place to learn photography, enjoy phototography, improve one's photography, make friends through photography, make $$$ in photography, etc etc....

Just read the forum rules and FAQ's, apply common sense and etiquette, and most of all, have fun shooting!

:cool:

?!

sorry for the slight ot, i am interested to know why photographs of people using wide angle are taboo, especially when the distortion is not on the person itself

most of the portrait photography books i have read do not exactly mention this as a rule - other than the fact that you should not shoot too closely to the person else they will become distorted

otherwise, a wide angle lens to take people is more than ok - it has the benefit of showing the setting, etc. of course if you're talking about classic type of portraits, then it is a different story. a lot of our really good professional wedding photographers and prominent portrait & pose members here use a lot of the wide angle lens when shooting people.. so i'm not really sure where you're coming from.

Yes, you are absolutely right !If the people in the photograph do not get distorted in the pic , it is alright. But we have "pros" who provide harsh and inappropriate remarks , when they themsleves violating the basics ie people looked like flattened corpse in the pics. But then this is a forum and we need to choose wisely who to learn from be it skill or social ettiques/skill.Well the point here is a true connoiseur would not condone junk food. Imagine just because his status/ voice is taken as a measure, wouldn't the newbie learn from junkies ?:bsmilie: Maybe that cup of coffee spent on "pros" may have been conned ? :bsmilie:

CS is a good place to learn photography, enjoy phototography, improve one's photography, make friends through photography, make $$$ in photography, etc etc....

Just read the forum rules and FAQ's, apply common sense and etiquette, and most of all, have fun shooting!

:cool:

Good piece of advice and encouraging from moderator. Well done. Only if others do not perceive everyone who come here to learn are their potential competitors. Not everyone want to make money out of photography. Needs wisdom in making friends, don't expect happiness when you are with negative people unless both are negatives. Birds of the same feather flock together.:bsmilie:

Got Pro impostors also got Newbie impostors. :bsmilie:

You are absolutely right. There are some who profess they are newbies but their photography skill is superb. Honestly I was hoping to see more of their works. I am genuine newbie and my photos are fit for thrash bin only.:bsmilie: CMI , that's the new jargon I learn here. :bsmilie:

As long as you don't post your question in the Kopitiam section, you will get answers. The most stupid old birds only post in Kopitiam! I mean how stupid can one be to be posting there all the time? They are even so stupid that they don't know what to do when their Apple becomes a Lemon!

HS

sarcastic responses aside, sometimes you get good info and sometimes you get totally wrong answers. as a newbie you every reply may sound correct and it may be difficult to sift out the wrong ones. i would suggest getting a basic photography book to read up first or sign up for a basic photography class.

if you willing to learn, many will share with you.

ask the right question, you will get a reply.

ask with the right tone, you will get a polite reply.

ask to the right person, you will get the best answer.

if some one tell you to do a search for your question, means that you can google or search in clubsnap and able get your answers within 10 sec. So, JUST DO IT.

no one can really tell you about the fundamental of photography in just a few lines, best you get a basic photography book and staring reading. You need to keep referring to the book, so the book is still the best tool for learning.

I had improved on my skill by joining some members in the meet up, looking @ the pictures and trying out on my own. Perhaps its down to 1 person luck to meet someone to impact certain tips and try out on his own. :)

Guys, do you think clubsnap is a good place to learn photography for newbies, or it's more for the experts discusiing their works?

You don't learn the practical side of photography by browsing an online discussion forum. And for learning the theoretical underpinnings, the nature of a discussion forum (short posts) cannot compete with a good book (traditional or electronic), neither in organization, nor in depth.

You don't learn the practical side of photography by browsing an online discussion forum. And for learning the theoretical underpinnings, the nature of a discussion forum (short posts) cannot compete with a good book (traditional or electronic), neither in organization, nor in depth.

Agreed with that, lots of books in the market are proven method & tips written by world top photographer.

The trick for a newbie is to ask a question that precludes an answer such as "Go and check google lah".

I find instead of asking, "What can I do with a lens cap?" if I ask "How shall I separate reality from fantasy in photography?" it will solicitate plenty of response. :)

a good place to source 2nd hand product..

the national library is a good place to start. seems like they r increasing books on photography down the years. need time to read and experiment. gd luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.