Is $300 for CS3 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*IF* Photoshop CS3 costs SGD300.00, it is definitely worth it!!!! :bigeyes:

Because I remember Photoshop (not Elements) software to be about a thousand bucks, something like that? Retails in U.S. for US$630+, that much I know.

I'm using the Academic Version of a cheaper alternative, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, and even that set me back about $150.

I seriously think it cannot be SGD300 for CS3.

you are asking a question like:

"a Rolls Royce has four wheels, a Chery QQ also has four wheels, why Rolls Royce are so much expensive, does it worth it?"

only you have the correct answer, cos you are the end user.

SGD300 for CS3? This I gotta go check out...

If true in terms of value, sure, it is worth it.

But you have to see whether you really need the item or not in the first place. If freeware can do it for you, then it's still $300 flying away.

If Photoshop is too expensive, you can consider nEO iMAGING, a program that has many features that can do image manipulation and pretty cheap. (Windows only).

http://neoimaging.beareyes.com.cn/

Functions: http://www.neo-imaging.net/function_demo.htm

Slide Film Effect Auto Exposure Sunset Render Old Photo
B&W Effect Cross Processing Effect HDR Negative Effect Night Noise Reduction
White Balance Fix CCD Hot/Dead Pix Tool Compare & Normal Mode Level And Curve
Skin Yellow Reduction Water Mark Frames Mask Frame
Highlight Reduction Anti Distortion ID Photo Layout Combined Photo
Noise Reduction Soft Focus Lens Bracket Exposure Extreme W/B Fix
Flower Red Reducer Beautician IE Magic Photo Red Eye Reduction
Studio Style

The fundamental question should be more like: What does TS want to do with his photos? What features are needed? Then buy s/w to satisfy that need.

IMHO, for most casual or even advanced amateurs, CS3 is overkill.

Btw, how often does Adobe update their CS? CS1 - CS2 -CS3?

Yearly?

thanks for the replies

The thing is, I'm can't find any books on Gimp(I've read its guide, but I still can't make head or tail of it:dunno:). There are not many books on Elements either, whereas there are plenty of resources on CS3. I'm the sort who'd learn better with a textbook haha

I know I'm not going to read all the books on CS3, but I'm sure there are some books catered towards my skill level(total noob :bsmilie:). Also, many people I know are using this program, so it should be easier for me to learn from them. So its not really the program that makes me consider buying it, its the fact that a lot of people are using it, and the resources dedicated towards it is incredible.

There aren't that many books about Gimp (compared tp CS3) because the Gimp developer are focusing on developing software but not spoon-feeding the user how to make the right clicks. This might seem a bit strange at the first view. But many programs are only widespread and common because a) in the beginning there wasn't much of a choice or alternative and b) the vendors invested a lot of money in advertising, books and other stuff to establish the software as "one stop solution".
Gimp developers simply don't have the budgets to do the marketing part.

If you are familiar with the basics about image processing you can also handle Gimp. Some functions are named a bit different, the layout looks different (floating menu bars) but at the end you get a piece of software that does the same for you as some 500 Dollar package. There are import filters for raw files (UFRaw) and other effects to chose from. Give it a good try before you spend money.

If I'm not wrong, the $300.00 CS3 is the upgrade version.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone ;)

I've checked out the price at Funan today. Turns out that the low price is for the UPGRADE version :sweat: so sorry...

The Extended Academic version costs $469(i'm eligible cos i'm a teacher hehe)

Anyway I've borrowed Dummies guide to CS3 from NLB to read up about the features and see if I'll use them.

I thought it was too good to be true!

You can get the upgrade version online for US$199 and the full suite for US$649. With the strong SGD, it is a lot cheaper than a year ago. The upgrade is cheaper than Funan so possibly the full suite is also cheaper.

Opps, wrong info. More expensive on the Singapore Adobe store.

I almost want to rush down to Funan and wait for Challenger to open later and grab a copy of CS3 for $300!!!!!!!!! Maybe take time-off for work even!

Cos last I checked at Challenger Funan about 3 weeks back, the full version was around $1500.

for the benefits of all. here's some info i've got from challenger funan.

photoshop cs3 : $1102 ($1087 members only)
photoshop cs3 extended : $1697 ($1667 members only)
photoshop cs3 extended academic : $469(for non and members only)

Status
Not open for further replies.