Iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use or not use, it's besides the point that there are facts pointing to design querks that are not industry's "norm".

Most cellular phones does allow a simple change of battery for a simple reason that user can have an option to carry a spare batt instead of a charger and finding a socket for it. (this is especially so when iPhone is a multifunction device where it will load the battery constantly)

Also for local market like Sg, changing carriers are a norm since we don't allow locked phones. Thus the iPhone design with "embedded" SIM simply runs in the face of all existing phones available here today.

The SIM isn't embedded and in fact, people have unlocked the phone, despite their agreements and the agreement with AT&T, one of two national carriers providing GSM-compatible service.

We haven't seen the agreements for Orange, T-Mobile Germany, etc. in Europe to find whether unlocking is going to be any different. I suspect that it will remain the same as Apple are getting a monthly cut of the subscription fees, which is also unlike any other phone manufacturer.

Embedded Sim card ?

The engadget website shows that you can change the Sim card.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/iphone-unlocked-atandt-loses-iphone-exclusivity-august-24-2007/

There's a Nokia N95 US 3G.

http://darlamack.blogs.com/

I found a company selling the N95 in-between then and now. They want US$719 for the phone. That would be about US$500 too much for my taste. An iPhone would have to be equipped with 3G data for me to buy one and I think the current US$399 is just ludicrous, no matter how easy it is to use.

I see hundreds of good and bad iPhone posts per day on the forums where I moderate.

I didn't say that problems don't exist, but it sounds as if you're basing everything on hearsay, not facts.

Since you didn't confirm that you've used the phone, are you saying that you haven't?

u said, good phones & bad phones. Either u r part of the fact or part of the hearsay, so choose a side. So does it mean if i haven't held an iPhone means its vapourware, cos i only see pics of it? Those pics cud very well be some photoshop'ed images of Steve's dream.

What i've mentioned about the class action suit, slow messaging & sealed batt & SIM are very real. U choose to believe what u wish, i've no qualms about that.

i have not been to Myanmar, so those bloodshed u saw on news r hearsay... come to think of it, Iraq war never existed too... & the Holocaust... & the.....

u said, good phones & bad phones. Either u r part of the fact or part of the hearsay, so choose a side. So does it mean if i haven't held an iPhone means its vapourware, cos i only see pics of it? Those pics cud very well be some photoshop'ed images of Steve's dream.

What i've mentioned about the class action suit, slow messaging & sealed batt & SIM are very real. U choose to believe what u wish, i've no qualms about that.

i have not been to Myanmar, so those bloodshed u saw on news r hearsay... come to think of it, Iraq war never existed too... & the Holocaust... & the.....

I'm sorry to come across so rude. It's not my intention.

bousozoku said:
I see hundreds of good and bad iPhone posts

No, I did not say good phones & bad phones. I was talking about forum posts about the iPhone, similar to this one which I'm writing at the moment. There are many, many owners on our forums and all of them are very vocal. Most of the people who are having problems with the phone caused the problems themselves.

Obviously, though, you'll believe whatever you wish but the truth about the phone isn't as bad as you seem to believe. As for monks being beaten, imprisoned, and killed, it couldn't be worse.

As always, there are the pros & cons in the iPhone. These are just some of my personal views.

Pros:
1. Fantastic picture quality (not those taken by the phone's camera, but those uploaded from computer).
2. Very easy to use interface.
3. Impressive touchscreen technology.

Cons:
1. Bluetooth can only be used to headset (no more sharing of pictures or sound files with friends)
2. SMS cannot be sent to multiple recipients.
3. No SMS counter.
4. SMS screws up quite a bit, which can cause the phone to hang.
5. Camera has no zoom or flash function.
6. Emails take quite a long time to load.

mac is just junk for ppl to waste money on... but too bad, theres too many irrational ppl arnd..

Have you use a Mac before and/or was the latter part of the statement meant for yourself?

I have to concur the iPhone is overhyped. The data plans are ridiculously expensive even in the States. In the end, it all boils down to the individual. But OS X or Vista, I'll take OS X any day.

Seems everyone is raving about the iphone. Just found out it had several flaws:

1. Can't record video.
2. 2MB camera with no flash
3. Can't select MP3 ring tones
4. 2G not 3g

Also it seem iphone touch screen may be violating some patents:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1448
A little on the slow side are we?

On the 4th point, the reason for it being 2G and not 3G is due to the availability of EDGE in the States and there are no telcos here that are carrying the iPhone at this moment.

U'll have to wait till 2008 or 2009 for the iPhone to be launched in Asia and I'm expecting nothing lesser than a 3G and improved version of the iPhone since it would defeat the purpose of Safari if we are to surf net on a slug slow 2G GPRS network.

It all comes down to what your needs on the phone are. If you don't like it, leave it. If you like it, buy it. Simple as that.

im pretty sure my eyes wont playing tricks on me when i passed pass a M1 shop/authorised retailer at the basement of Raffles City on thursday. saw an iphone on display and a sign saying it's available... :think:

actually, developer has already developered new application for
chinese sms and mass sms already.

plus apple cannot launch 3g enabled iphone is bcos they are still overcoming the battery issues, 3g sucks too much power from the iphone battery. it's was announced months ago.

i'm a iphone user, got it from the states.

im pretty sure my eyes wont playing tricks on me when i passed pass a M1 shop/authorised retailer at the basement of Raffles City on thursday. saw an iphone on display and a sign saying it's available... :think:

It's certainly possible that someone has bought them and made them available, but from Apple, no. Officially, they'll be available in Asia in 2008 and where in Asia, no one knows yet. They've only recently announced their availability in the UK, France, and Germany for next month.

actually, developer has already developered new application for
chinese sms and mass sms already.

plus apple cannot launch 3g enabled iphone is bcos they are still overcoming the battery issues, 3g sucks too much power from the iphone battery. it's was announced months ago.

i'm a iphone user, got it from the states.

option to turn off the 3g?:think: Juz like BT or WiFi, can turn off to conserve energy.

BTW, Wifi in iPhone is b/g or n? (as in ready already like the macbooks)

option to turn off the 3g?:think: Juz like BT or WiFi, can turn off to conserve energy.

BTW, Wifi in iPhone is b/g or n? (as in ready already like the macbooks)

It's 802.11b/g so far, though it doesn't seem likely that someone is still producing b/g-only chips at this point. Since 802.11n hasn't been finalised, I'd think those available in late 2008 will have n-compatible hardware and software, though many WiFi hot spots don't have the hardware yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.