Investment Talk

Since you were from a high powered stock dealing house, did you make your first million before you left?

He can afford to retire young as a florist... no? :vhappy:

He can afford to retire young as a florist... no? :vhappy:

I think that you are right. He must be one of the milionaires around. Anyway, good for him to retire young.

personally i never liked IPOs... will stag at open if there is opportunity

Most retail investors will stag on first day of trading. However, you must see what kind of company before you sell on first day.

There was a time when IPOs could gain at least 100 percent or more on the first day of trading. However, that was a long time ago......

Market Rationality: it is commonly accepted that the market is irrational in the short run and rational in the long run. The problem is defining the short run duration and long run duration! LOL !

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Since you were from a high powered stock dealing house, did you make your first million before you left?

Due to my lack of seniority, I was the first to get laid off from my team during 09 crisis. My only regret was letting go of Nikkei225 put warrants just before they went deeeeeeep into the money (like 10x appreciation)... *shrug*. next crisis please.

My team dealt with (of all funds!) Morgan Stanley, Bear Sterns, etc...one by one our clients died.
One of the client HQ even sent official email to officially end the trading arrangement and disbar their traders from placing orders.

Getting retrenched kind of sucked. I run my own business now so I can kick my own butt if i feel like it.

The pay sucked too, it was like...exponential pay rise over the years...I think my senior (5 yr dealing experience and an associate director post) was getting in excess of 5k not including bonuses and incentives and etc. So yeah. Not very highly paid either for the amount of stress and effort. I didn't retire rich or young.

If I did retire I would have retired as a photographer LOL...

Here's a photo of me after my 5 cups of coffee at work then...
224154_4705620565908_1728385489_n.jpg

btw I am not a "he"...i am a cat.

Gold can buy now?

Some months ago, attended a seminar by a big local bank. The analyst was saying gold may hit 1.8k. What a load of bull! As we see it now, falling like coconut.

Reported in news lots of chinese grabbing gold now. Stores in HK almost sold out of gold.

What is causing the slide of gold prices?

Gold can buy now?

Some months ago, attended a seminar by a big local bank. The analyst was saying gold may hit 1.8k. What a load of bull! As we see it now, falling like coconut.

Reported in news lots of chinese grabbing gold now. Stores in HK almost sold out of gold.

Simply put.. reversal of irrationality... lol
Long story short.. a lot of people selling.. or fear of massive sellout..

Gold can buy now?

They tell you to buy so that they can sell mah!!!! :bsmilie:

I want to try currency trading but no time to find out more. Is it more "safe" than share and commodity?
Example: Short Yen now ...

I want to try currency trading but no time to find out more. Is it more "safe" than share and commodity?
Example: Short Yen now ...

Forex trading requires strict mental discipline.. those who have gambler mentality will be burnt :devil:

Gold is also dropping because CME requires a stricter margin requirement for trading precious metals. Positions may have been closed out due to deleveraging.

Forex trading requires extreme risk management as the price moves is fast in normal markets and very very fast in volatile markets (data release, rumor, etc.)
That is where having quality (speed and accuracy) news source is important...

Certain platforms offer risk management tools like stoploss, trailing stops, and auto-pilot tool like take profit ... of course, knowing how and when to deploy them is part of forex strategy.

Unfortunately this kitty is very lousy at trading. As a dealer I took high risk but it was all client's risk. Sure, I did my technical studies on the client's counters, their resistances, etc. My paw's don't feel clammy when price drop or move. It's just like a computer game where the numbers flash and I sort of bonk the mole when it appears (like arcade game).

When I take risk on my own account (for speculation) I feel a lot less at easy. Hence I am not a trader full time (recreational only), knowing I will not be "risky enough" to earn sustainable income nor having the stomach to see trading plans go the opposite way.

application unsuccessful. Want also don't have. Need to have applied 100k lots before being allocated 4 lots. It is 13x oversubscribed.

Gold is also dropping because CME requires a stricter margin requirement for trading precious metals. Positions may have been closed out due to deleveraging.

What is CME? I only know CMI.

What is the outlook for Gold? I need to buy dowry. Will it fall below US$1.3k before end of this month?

----------------------

Anyone bought unit trusts via Insurance coy. Got one sexy lady pestering me to buy. I wonder if it is a good idea.

Last edited:
application unsuccessful. Want also don't have. Need to have applied 100k lots before being allocated 4 lots. It is 13x oversubscribed.

What is CME? I only know CMI.

What is the outlook for Gold? I need to buy dowry. Will it fall below US$1.3k before end of this month?

----------------------

Anyone bought unit trusts via Insurance coy. Got one sexy lady pestering me to buy. I wonder if it is a good idea.

don't bother buying unit trust. incur management fees even if losing money. buy index better. but now is not a great time to go long.

economy slowing down.

gold can buy, wait a bit. must wait. buy physical gold, best. paper gold is worth as much as the paper it's printed on .

quite happy at how my reits and telcos are performing at the moment, looking to sell sinktel off soon.

can't really go wrong with his counters:
Dividend Warrior

Last edited:
stock trivia - JMH is a very very old company, which has been around since Opium War. they were importing it to China via Hong Kong, if i am not wrong?

stock trivia - JMH is a very very old company, which has been around since Opium War. they were importing it to China via Hong Kong, if i am not wrong?

You mean Jardin Matheson eh? Yup. Their logo is a poppy plant really. Quite a heritage. I tried to get into their MA program, and it was tough. Didn't make it in the end. Sadly.

You mean Jardin Matheson eh? Yup. Their logo is a poppy plant really. Quite a heritage. I tried to get into their MA program, and it was tough. Didn't make it in the end. Sadly.

Yes, he was referring to that company. Founded in 1832 in China as a trading company. Listed on 20 February 1991 on SGX Mainboard.

The Jardine Matheson Group's interests include Jardine Pacific, Jardine Motors, Jardine Lloyd Thompson, Hongkong Land, Dairy Farm, Mandarin Oriental, Jardine Cycle & Carriage and Astra International.

If you have bought the IPO in 1991, you should be laughing now. Sometimes, real investment can be seen so easy but many of us do not have that long term view.