interesting experience with cab driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
i once encounter a cabbie who saw my tenba bag and told me about his own direction in photography... quite a nice guy... use an FM2 with a wide array of lenses.... frequent the camera workshop somemore...

all type also have.

reno77 said:
Was it the cabby who was in the "$100 taxi ride" shown on Discovery channel ? He was a real pro for 20+ years. According to him, he was LKY's personal photographer, and he had a album of photos in the truck to prove it. Love his quotes in the show "Are you sure you dont want me to help ? I'm a professional you know"
Professional braggat? :bsmilie:

hi.. i m a frequent taxi person due to work reasons.. so share my thoughts..
taxi driver nowadays as some r retrenched manager or director.. some retirees or part time cabby for fun n some have office full-time job n drive e cabby for fun n extra income...n they interact wif all kind of pple everyday.. so they r veri knowlegable n learned
if you r lucky, meet one who will share with u veri good n useful knowledge.. try to cheer u up if yr face is black...
if u r unlucky, u meet wif those egoistic who tink their views r always right n braggat.. tt is a pain in the neck..anyone know how to deal wif them.. i scared to provoke them.. coz my life is in their hand.. i m in their cabby
haha.. e lyk photographer as a taxi driver however seems.....

Had an interesting conversation with a cabbie. Saw me carrying a huge black bag (after my reservist training), asking me whether which unit i was from Blah blah blah...then he mentioned that he was the first few batch of commandos or infantry sent to Indonesia and Malaysia for recce mission to flush out the communist. :sweat:

hahaha.... Army talk always seems to put them in the mood. Whenever you mentioned that you have finished Army they ask you which uit you are from, they will tell you their heydays back in which and which unit being the 1st batch and stuff.. all the things they do compared to the modern welfare of nowsadays soldiers (ohh and they sure to mention about the shorten NS liability this time round when they have to serve the full term under which so and so shitty instructors).

And pinkgoldpig is right, these drivers are very knowledgeable (yeah, some of them are retired managers/ directors), although you have to take a pinch of salt for what they tell you sometimes as they like to blow a little trumpet at times. One very interesting conversation I had was with a Malay cabby who shared with me about living life. ALthough he had 4 children and working fulltime as a cab driver, he still makes time out to bring his family for family gatherings in SBG or the beach. He told me that nowsdays, although you must work, you must know who you are working for and to him, it's his family. And becoz you are working for your family, you must also think in their shoes if you work 18hrs a day and only get home to find your children sleeping already. Then you are not a good parent.

So he makes it a point to go home for dinners and his weekend mornings dedicated to his children and family. Happened to take his cab on Sunday afternoon. :)

pinkgoldpig said:
hi.. i m a frequent taxi person due to work reasons.. so share my thoughts..
taxi driver nowadays as some r retrenched manager or director.. some retirees or part time cabby for fun n some have office full-time job n drive e cabby for fun n extra income...n they interact wif all kind of pple everyday.. so they r veri knowlegable n learned
if you r lucky, meet one who will share with u veri good n useful knowledge.. try to cheer u up if yr face is black...
if u r unlucky, u meet wif those egoistic who tink their views r always right n braggat.. tt is a pain in the neck..anyone know how to deal wif them.. i scared to provoke them.. coz my life is in their hand.. i m in their cabby
haha.. e lyk photographer as a taxi driver however seems.....
Actually u could tell which are those forced to become cabbies due to circumstances that forced them outta their high paying jobs.

Typically these ppl stay focused on a single topic when talking, speak reasonably well, are more service-oriented (u dun actually have to TAP the boot physically to get them to open it. They'll either anticipate and open it or even help u with it) and well-groomed.

Of cos, professional braggats usually stray from a topic to another, drive wildly (and horribly) and speak rather bad English punctuated with Hokkien expletives (putting all ur OCs and RSMs to shame).

Of cos, the best way to stop these cabbies is not to talk to them, keep a frown etched on ur face permanently, sleep during ur journey home and occupy the rear passenger seat.

Nitrile said:
Went shooting and took a cab home today. Told him where i wanted to go and after that he initiated a conversation.

First he asked whether i was a photographer and whether i was pro or just a hobbyist. i told him its my hobby and i just started out. after that he asked me what i thought abt my canon 300D and then he started talking about his 10D and collection of lenses at home. turns out, hes a PRO hobbyist. then after that he asked whether i have played with the new 1D MkII before. he said he tried already and its damn fast..blah blah.

damn..what an exciting taxi ride that was. :hung:

He might be paid by Canon to do so.. LoL....
But then.. The 1D MkII does look very nice.... hehehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.