Interested in photography: but where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
icube said:
think will just get a prosumer cam... any ideas how much G3 costs now..? any recommendation of other brand of cam also of this range..?

welcome onboard!! :thumbsup:

a brand new G3 would cost around $1000!
Can get an e-quote from CP or MS-Color... :)

There someone selling a second hand G3 in the forum..

check it out!

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=55144

cheers

If you want something you can carry around everyday... the Canon A80 is quite good too...

I'm using a Minolta Dynax 5.. and I believe that the starting kit i.e. body + 28-80 + 75-300 lens is worth the money. Dynax 5 suitable for starters/beginners... and have quite a bit of functions for it's price...

icube said:
so any other recommendations beside the G3..?

Warning! That is a very dangerous question to ask. People will start promoting different camera's and other's will slam them. And thus the beginning of another flame war. For a start, check out http://www.dpreview.com/.

Actually, you need to know what you want and what budget you have. I would advice against spending too much on your first camera. Say if you can afford to burn $1000 for a new camera, use something like $700+/- for it coz you will need many other accessories to make it good overall, like tripod, filters, adapter, battery, memory card etc. Just dun spend all in one camera. You should try to learn first with a relative cheap but decent camera to see if you are really into it, coz like what others said digicam depreciate fast in value. You can then get a higher end one for your specific needs, with the old one for your casual/holiday time, or just sell it off, whichever you think is good for you.

to make your thoughts less vague:

1. what type of pics do u tend to like to shoot (wildlife/fashion show/sports action/simple daily landscape.....)
2. how much $ r u willing to spend
3. what level of equiptment r u willing to be stuck in( simple consumer level body+cheap/slow glass or pro-end body +fast glass)
4.how long u want to be shooting(as n when u like/for the rest of ur life/when there's lobang to profit by shootng events...)
5.what is the level of quality u demand in ur final pictures
6.will u ever travel with ur equiptment(a white L lens in the middle east doesnt sound like a smart choice/a small leica in europe fits the mood/...)
7.etc

icube said:
A80 cannot mount extra flash light rite..?

Fortunately I have a spare Nikon SB-80DX so I can use it as slave... and it has worked very well

i own a IXUS 330... that was my first camera... i liked it very much... it was really much of a Point and Shoot cam... however.. when i got to try out the canon S50 that my fren bought... i got impressed with the number of advance features and control it has... so i thought of getting it... but it cannot mount those extra lens to do those special effects kind of shots... so i thought of getting the G3 loh... and somemore from 2 mega pixels(IXUS 330) to 5 mega pixels is an worthy upgrade rite..?

i really like the function of a digital cam cos can preview the shot straight away and can learn better i guess cos got the settings shown on the LCD... then take another shot and compare the settings...

I started out with Canon Ixus 330 also :D
Very gd P&S cam I must say...(Of the least advanced type)
A80 also gives u the different kind of functions and mode that S50 has.
And a lot more cheaper. I think A80 is like 750++??
G3 or G5 also a good choice :)
But I will suggest u go to www.dpreview.com to view the different kind of cameras available.
And also, planned ur budget.
If u can spend abt $1000++ Get the canon G series (or any brand that u like) If less than 1K, then maybe get a A80 or something along the same line.
But then , if u really wan to pick up photography as a serious hobby, get an SLR. Film SLR is cheaper of course. but if u wan to get a DSLR, then u got to really increase ur budget.

Ah Pao said:
I use film, and I save on cost by scanning the negatives rather than printing them out...in this case every roll should cost around $3 + $2.50 to process and scan.

Ah Pao,

Which lab can process and scan for just $2.50?! :eek:
The cheapest I got last time was $6.50...

Status
Not open for further replies.