Indestructible Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at but if the filter works as promised and is indeed that durable, it sure is convinient to just ignore the cap especially when you need it on the fly or in the dark where fumbling with the lens cap might cause you to lose it or miss the shot. Sure, my examples might be a little extreme but it's a product that has it's uses.

A lens cap has it's purpose, it cannot be replaced by a fancy filter. They have different purposes. Sure the front element is covered and somewhat protected but the filter is NOT scratch-proof. So all the little dust and dirt sitting there will be rubbed across the filter of you just put the lens / cam into your bag without lens cap. You'll end up cleaning your filter and any scratches will become quite obvious once you have strong lights in the frame. I prefer a lens cap for 10 bucks.

Also, yes we do take very good care of our expensive equipment but are you so sure that even with all the extreme care that nothing is going to happen? It's exactly the same thing as buying insurance, just in case you might need it.

Wrong. Care and alertness is to prevent something from happening. Insurance is just a bet whether something will happen or not. The loser pays finally. Has any health insurance ever prevented any illness?
Going back to the filter as protector: it will only help to a certain extend for cases of frontal impact at the lens element. Any side impact at rim of filter, at lens barrel or other places still can happen and are likely to damage your lens - and no filter will help you.

Feel free to get these filters, it's your money and your choice. I just don't believe in sales stories that are based on FUD and appealing to any kind of 'kiasu' emotions.

Last edited:
So all the little dust and dirt sitting there will be rubbed across the filter of you just put the lens / cam into your bag without lens cap. You'll end up cleaning your filter and any scratches will become quite obvious once you have strong lights in the frame. I prefer a lens cap for 10 bucks.
Agree...In the end scratched filter would have the same effect as scratched lens.Just cheaper to replace.

Agree...In the end scratched filter would have the same effect as scratched lens.Just cheaper to replace.

Exactly! You summed it up! :)

So we put a filter on the lens, so we also put a lens cap, so we also put a hood, so we also be very careful, so we also buy insurance on top of that all.

Relax people, its just new product, buy or not, like or not, ur choice. :sweatsm:

No wrong, no right!

Not sure if it came from Hoya, I read it on clubsnap, someone else's post.

But what you said is true, if dropped, dont think brass or aluminum makes different. But when screwing, brass feels smooth and high quality. Aluminum feels filmy, scratchy and cheap.

Most of my bags are long enough for 17-55 with hood, but the 80-200/70-200 need to reverse hood. Good thing about the 70-200 is it has the rubber bumper in front of the filter thread.

I think it's true that aluminium is softer than brass so it should 'flex' more but at the same time as you pointed out, the threads may also go out of alignment more easily.

Talking about fear of damage, I used to stack my short zooms without lens caps in my camera bag previously with a soft cloth or piece of chamois in between them only for fast access! :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.