In what situation would you use the sigma 135-400mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapperkid

Jun 20, 2006
Bukit Batok
Hi Olympians,

I was just curious about the 135-400mm lens so I posted this thread for the opinions of everybody. Btw would you recommend this lens? And if yes, what would you use it for?

Hey hey... :)

the 135~400mm is a Sigma lens right?

Wow... on my E500 that will be like 270~800mm!!!

Dun think i'll ever use that range... personally of cos.

I think pple use it to shoot wildlife? Birds particularly... in SG no wildlife mah...

Ah-boh the TNP photojournalists can use it for their usual "my HDB neighbour walks ard naked in his house" articles... ;)
(joking... no offence...)

At almost 1.3kg... its not funny sia... die die must use tripod liao...

My 2cents... :dunno:

birding and candid protrait shots! :thumbsup:

How does Sigma lenses actually stack up against Zuiko's? :(

Understand Zuikos are pretty exp, while Sigma is more affordable yeah?

But as always, u get what u pay for yeah? ;)

is this lens available already? how much is it?

How does Sigma lenses actually stack up against Zuiko's?

Leatherman Titanium blade versus plastic knife.

Tougher, sharper, richer colours. But more expensive. Yet a sound investment.

How does Sigma lenses actually stack up against Zuiko's? :(

Understand Zuikos are pretty exp, while Sigma is more affordable yeah?

But as always, u get what u pay for yeah? ;)

From what I read, you need to be selective where Sigmas are concerned, there are some lenses with excellent performance and others that are mediocre...

You probably need to do some research; I'm sorry to say I can't help here, not terribly fond of Sigmas so I don't really do much checking up on them.

not easy to frame if handheld. Bird watching, nature shooting, Airshow, Surf shoot...etc. What's the f stop like in that?? and is the focusing fast?? Blu have a Sigma 55~200...:thumbsd:

to satisfy birding needs, is a sigma 50-200mm good enough?

There is no rule in how you want to use super teles. You can also choose to use these lenses when you want to compress the perspective of your subject in relation to the environment, or when you want to shoot aggressively cropped images. Be creative. But sometimes, good super teles are very expensive, so its not something you buy and play around... unless of course, you have a lot of spare change in your pocket.

to satisfy birding needs, is a sigma 50-200mm good enough?

Depends on your stalking skills. Also, you might want to consider teleconverters. A 400mm reach might not be enough with very shy creatures or you might want to intentionally put a distance between you and your subject, like shooting near the nest of birds of prey.

By the way, the longer the focal length, the better the tripod you should buy. Any minute shake will be very obvious and cause blurred images. Happy shooting!

not easy to frame if handheld. Bird watching, nature shooting, Airshow, Surf shoot...etc. What's the f stop like in that?? and is the focusing fast?? Blu have a Sigma 55~200...:thumbsd:

Hey Blu...

Sigma 55~200mm no good huh? :(

depends on what birds again .. i've managed to snap some sunbirds with my 40-150mm ... depends on stalking skills and birds ...

i was actually eyeing the bigma for the oly series ..

50-500mm becomes 100-1000mm!!! covers almost the whole range .. :S .. only need my humble kit lens for 28-90mm ... 90-100mm nevermind lah ... move back or move forward abit lor ..

but now with this 135-400mm or rather 270-800mm, i think i'd rather get this one ..

cos

1) should be chaper, as compared to $1980 (quote from MS color)
2) should be lighter
3) cheaper and lighter liao leh ... for 28-90 i got my kit lens, 80-300 got my 'kit' tele lens, 270-800mm got this one enough liao lah ... 800mm and 1000mm not very sig ... (imho ..)

depends on what birds again .. i've managed to snap some sunbirds with my 40-150mm ... depends on stalking skills and birds ...

50-500mm becomes 100-1000mm!!! covers almost the whole range .. :S .. only need my humble kit lens for 28-90mm ... 90-100mm nevermind lah ... move back or move forward abit lor ..

but now with this 135-400mm or rather 270-800mm, i think i'd rather get this one ..

cos

2) should be lighter
3) cheaper and lighter liao leh ... for 28-90 i got my kit lens, 80-300 got my 'kit' tele lens, 270-800mm got this one enough liao lah ... 800mm and 1000mm not very sig ... (imho ..)

thanks for the imformation. Very informative!:)

will think hard for this lens. May be my possible 'candidate'.

cos

2) should be lighter

MS quoted you 50-500mm for $1980?
Overseas ordering is less than $1700 iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.