In a Step - Short film for Canon DV Triathlon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I've checked out ur video and site.. nice site :D

nice try.. however.. i felt tat u did not explicitly convene ur msg in ur film.. tat is wad i felt was lacking in ur film... it was about skin cancer.. so how does ur film show the links between legs and skin cancer, skin cancer and the theme(global warming), legs and depression, legs and losing family members to skin cancer...

ur film seemed to focus alot about depression, however, it was difficult to interpret the 'depression' element...

i felt tat u were assuming tat the audiences were aware of the protagonist's 'loss of family members', thus u focused on the 'depression'. i felt tat if u were to shift the focus of the film frm the legs(depression) to how he got into depression and maybe .. his hatred or any emotions he had with him along the way...

i felt that u've failed to utilize the symbols in ur films well. the cigarette, the trip to the toilet, the journey to the grassy place .. is it possible to use them as story tellers or details hinters?

i also felt tat since film is a visual form of art, wad the audience see will trigger the audience's responses and the interpretation. therefore, do consider possible deviation of interpretation. in this case, when i saw ur film, without reading the syp.( juz to see if i could make out wad the story was about), i thot it was about man's journey to religious beliefs, this is obviously NOT wad u guys, as the filmmaker would want. so i recommend u guys to consider ensuring that ur symbols or screen elements are not easily mistakable by the audience.

one final piece of suggestion: tell the story in the story, not in the syp. of the story.

tat s my 2 cent's worth.. gd luck nxt year.. do try the fly by nite challenge in the later parts of the year.. it s sth similar.. secret theme.. limited time video challenge.. but it s more established .. thou it is less advertised than Canon's DVTri.

Hi Johnaturn, thanks for your insightful analysis but as it wasn't meant to be an "obvious" kinda film. I guess I fed the film too much of my brain juice and it turned out like dat... Hurhurhur..

Relax bro, short films are meant to be artistic, self-styled, and totally rebellious. Being to technical behind the camera hinders your creativity IMHO, unless it's intended. In film school, yes, that's what you need to do. But there'll come a point of time where every budding filmmaker needs to express your own morbid interpretations of various topics.

Btw, did you manage to listen to the narration?

Anyway, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.