I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea I agree! Esp if i want to take dark condition, high speed (actually dance performances). I need fast shutter speed, I can't flash, i need a good prime with large aperture, how? Die die must spend right? I already kenna a few times when i'm caught with my pants down without a good prime. Damn sian, PP also no use. sigh.

then what about times when I want to multiple exposures? My 1000D can't keep up. Also damn sian.

But having said that, it does make me think about ways around it ... like being more careful when to press the shutter. Dark condition, aim for poses instead of mid-air movements. Multiple exposure, aim for more critical moments where it counts.

Still it's really a very bad handicap feeling but what to do? No money ... if got $$$ i'll go grab my 50mm 1.4, a UWA 10-22mm, a 50D body, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm IS USM L . ... aiyo, dreaming too much.

just don't let anyone rain on your parade. enjoy shooting or buying gear, whatever makes you happy. just be practical about it too. ;)

Well, I was out shooting with a good friend of mine. He told me that one day he was out shooting with his D70. When he passed by some young Canon users (strangers), one of the young punks there said extremely loudly, "If you want to shoot nice pictures, I do not even know why you will go for Nikon?". Well, my friend smiled at himself and walked away, and continue to shoot some damn amazing pictures. If you are confident of yourself, and know what you want and where you are going, why bother what others say?

Last edited:
"its not the camera, its the person behind it".... These are the words must have been spoken by photographers, camera man won't say it. :)

In just 2 hours, you people clock up 3 pages of replies. Did you folks planned all these. :bsmilie:

Okay, but seriously folks...

I think there are a few people out there who first need to understand what is meant by a "good" photo.

Technically good? Yes, you need a good camera and good lens, if not, you just can't get good noise control, bokeh, contrast, sharpness, etc. BUT, does all that make for a "good" photo?

Aesthetically good? Literally, any camera will do. And aesthetics are subjective (blurry lomo shots taken by toy cameras, anybody?)

It all depends on what the subject is, what the requirements of the shoot are, and what are the expectations of the viewer. The statement "It's not the camera, but the person behind the camera" can be both true and untrue at the same time.

Don't fret. People say all sorts of things all the time. Let them.

And you just go ahead and enjoy your photography.
Absolutely agree... To me, criticism is not always meant to be taken to heart. Whenever I tell people "It's the guy behind the camera, not the camera", I actually just mean to remind people the importance of the person behind the camera. While sure you can't compare a phone taken by a camera phone to a photo taken by a 50mp MF 'blad, the person controlling the camera is also important. If I lend a baby a D3x, I am sure he/she can press the shutter.

That is because the friend (thread too deep already, not sure plural or singular) do not know how to inspire interest in communication. Imagine if I were to face grandfatherly people all the time, will get ear dumb and feels like stabbing myself. :sweat: :bsmilie:

Er....why are you so pissed off?

Chill man....weather too hot?

I think there's alot more to digest when we say that 'it is the person behind the lens that matters'.

Perhaps before reacting overwhelmingly to it, why don't you ponder a bit further?

no photo no talk.... :devil:

i believe it is the person, not the cam. coz i know someone who can use fonecam to shame entry-lev dslr users..... :bsmilie:

At a particular place for night scene there was this guy with a mini tripod and his compact camera and another guy with his dslr+big big flash mounted...

After awhile the dslr guy asked "why your small camera can take the night scenery so well without flash and my dslr fire the flash also cannot captured anything!"

...yes for this case it's not the camera but the man behind :)

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

Not award winning but still damm good using camera phones:

1. http://www.chasejarvis.com/#s=3&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=5&a=0&at=0

2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/archangel_raphael/sets/1322389/

I'm working and aspiring towards the day where I can make great pictures out of any thing that can capture image :)

However, great photographers will have even greater photos with great gear, don't you agree?

Both matters.

Buy what you can, use what you have! That's my advice. Who say lousy photographer cannot have great gears? But great photographers will have great photos even with lousy gears. I have seen photos taken in the 60s 70s and 80s with "primitive" gears compared to what we have now. And their photos deeply draws out my emotions and my eyes were stuck to the photos for a long time!

ya u guys are right.. screw them la.. life too short to listen to what other think of me....

they are just those ppl that like to quote this , quote that... and yet they don't live by the quotes they keep repeating

They will quote when you are going to get something that performs better or equal, else they gossip behind your back.This is reality and not isolated to photography. So be wise, no need to consult or tell anyone what you intend to do with your money. Revealing too much is seen as brag. Not all grapes are sweet to some.

To TS, just take and post more photos ;)

Too much emphasis on instant gratification (ie. gears) nowadays. I see it on not only this forum but forums of other interests as well (Buy XXX shoe = run faster; Buy XXX goggle = swim faster; Buy XXX plant food = healthy plants, XXX drink = muscles, etc)

Countless great photos have been taken before modern cameras. It the thought process that makes a big difference.

I'm working and aspiring towards the day where I can make great pictures out of any thing that can capture image :)

its nice becos the place the photo taken is nice... i am pretty sure if he uses a proper PnS then the photo will be hell a lot nicer.. so this guy with a camera phone does hv potential to produce great image... but he still need to use a proper camera in order not to waste more such opportunity he had..

Ok.. after reading all your post (quite a lot) ... i think i learned some wisdom.

- just take photos... if the person asking me about my setup while knowing he is those that are gonna judge me by what i hv, i will keep my answer simple and not to say more then that or counter argue/debate
- no more debate with ppl that is at extreme end , ie. those that say camera is not important at all but solely the person behine the camera ... or those that worship high end camera but forget about what's its actually use for (i hv frens in both end of such situation)
- no more talking to them about what i want/need in my camera's wishlist (except over in this forum to get some good feedback lah)

its nice becos the place the photo taken is nice... i am pretty sure if he uses a proper PnS then the photo will be hell a lot nicer.. so this guy with a camera phone does hv potential to produce great image... but he still need to use a proper camera in order not to waste more such opportunity he had..

yes yes yes, then when camera phone replace by p&s
p&s can be replaced by entry level dslr
then entry level dslr replace by pro level dslr
then pro level dslr replace by medium format

after that, still got opportunity, for the camera that is yet to come, that will own all previous cameras.... yawn.

it is never enough.... the best camera for the situation is the camera you actually have with you, there is no such thing as a WHAT IF, because if you backtrack and walk that path, you'd have that same camera or use that same camera all over again...........:p

if you noticed about Chase Jarvis's works with his iPhone... i bet you would notice that he won't compose anything requiring high dynamic range to get blown highlights... he carefully compose and take pictures with that iPhone and knowing it's limit... while working within the limits to get the best result... i.e. he knows his cameras (he uses iPhone everyday and he uses d3 on paid assignments) very well...

both matters, but the person behind it really need to work his best to know his camera well to get the best result a camera could produce...

edit: agree with night86mare - the best camera is the one which is being with you all the time...

Last edited:
I also like to say "it's not the size, it's the technique" to my gfs but they keep leaving me leh.. :bsmilie:

Agree, considering that he might not be able to adjust the exposure using an antique 1.3MP camera phone.

But hor, I think that the composition and the "eye" for the shot is inherent with whatever camera he may be using...my $0.02 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.