Hows Olympus E-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to check out the ground floor camera shop at Tekka Mall. Saw a shrink-wrapped E1 on display, just yesterday

Just let u guys know, just got the Last brand new E-1 from Tekka Mall.
:D

How much did you have to pay for it?

sehsuan said:
It's a lightweight system, but you might want to consider the lenses properly first. The viewfinder's kindof dark compared to "regular" Canons and Nikons, since Olympus has a 2x FOV crop. Might be a problem when you combine a shallow DOF with manual focussing. my dad used to have the E1, so that was based on my short experience with the camera then. Since then, I have handled a few friend's E330/500 setups, but I can't get used to the dark viewfinder. If you're considering lightweight shooting while climbing, the E1 may be your cup of tea.

Interesting observation that occured from reading this thread... you guys climb in darkness?

climb_jam said:
Oh, how did you know I climb? Anyway, yes, I'm inteding to use it for climbing, sports photography and humanitarian work, and also landscap and all.

But not sure if they still have it in e market like what Dylan said. Guess I would have to look ard for 2nd hand.

If you want weatherproofing and able to wash the mud and dirt off the camera and lens after a climb, there is NO OTHER camera out there. I take mine to extreme places... and all it takes to get rid of the major chunks of mud cakes is to spray the camera under a tap and towel dry.... when you have time you can then use a cotton bud (wet!) and slowly dig out the little bits in the grooves...

Try that with any other camera system...

hazmee said:
Go get the E-1. Its a fine camera. Olympus makes fine lenses too.

Read more about it here. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/

If its for climbing/scenary, the 11-22mm should be the first lens with the E-1 in this case. Just a thought. But the 14-54mm kit lens is also a very competent lens to have.

igpenguin said:
how does the high ISO noise of the E1 compare to the E300?

In your case, go buy a Canon. If you do not like or appreciate the film like grain/noise, Olympus is NOT for you.

"$1800" :sweat: lowest price the boss can give me.
Not cheap man, but very happy that I finally got it.:bsmilie:

plastic said:
In your case, go buy a Canon. If you do not like or appreciate the film like grain/noise, Olympus is NOT for you.

I don't appreciate your suggestion that Olympus is not for me.

That especially when I have migrated from a Canon system to my current Olympus system. Ooops. ;) (now I carry less lenses, less weight, do zero dust-spotting, and have colours I like out of the camera)

Seriously, any film at ISO1600 (or 3200.. think TMZ) have golf-ball sized grain, and I ain't complaining.

I do feel high ISO noise is an issue with the E300, and while shooting it side by side with a E330 I had on loan, I feel the E330 fares better.

I look at the E1 high ISO performance (3200, not set-able within the E300) and it looks decent enough to me. "Better" to me than the E300. It's all subjective, isn't it?

I like tons of aspects of the Olympus. I maintain that Olympus is for me.

igpenguin said:
I don't appreciate your suggestion that Olympus is not for me.

That especially when I have migrated from a Canon system to my current Olympus system. Ooops. ;) (now I carry less lenses, less weight, do zero dust-spotting, and have colours I like out of the camera)

Seriously, any film at ISO1600 (or 3200.. think TMZ) have golf-ball sized grain, and I ain't complaining.

I do feel high ISO noise is an issue with the E300, and while shooting it side by side with a E330 I had on loan, I feel the E330 fares better.

I look at the E1 high ISO performance (3200, not set-able within the E300) and it looks decent enough to me. "Better" to me than the E300. It's all subjective, isn't it?

I like tons of aspects of the Olympus. I maintain that Olympus is for me.

Never meant for this to be offensive... but I am tired of people complaining about noise. If one cannot see the beauty of it, and make use of the noise/grains creatively to take beautiful, mood pictures, then I have nothing to say... but to only recommend them to the Canon camp. I am merely stating the obvious facts.

Esnap said:
"$1800" :sweat: lowest price the boss can give me.
Not cheap man, but very happy that I finally got it.:bsmilie:

Congrats on you being able to get the camera locally at this price... yeah, though not the cheapest price there is, but still, you got yourself a good deal on a brand new unit.

Forgive plastic, he's just getting grumpy with all the noise about noise. :bsmilie:

drakon09 said:
Forgive plastic, he's just getting grumpy with all the noise about noise. :bsmilie:

Haven't any of you Olympians had enough? All the Canon 1Ds worshipper talking about noise... have we ever gone to their camp and tell them how "plasticky" their low noise skin tones are? This is purely bullshit marketing. And sorry, I have to say this... many shooters today never seriously got into film in the first place and that is why they can say these things... sigh...

Enough... I need my beer...

I've a very good friend that shoots Canon, and nah, the topic about noise never crops up between us.

The time is much better served discussing about photography techniques. :)

peace.

I still have some TriX in my bulk loader. My CLAed OM-1 needs a work out...

I agree. At 1600, E1 has better noise control than the E300. Incidentally, was told that this was because E1 was made in Japan, while the E300 was made in China. ....and the CCD may be from different sources....

i use Vpost concierge to get the hahnemuhle photo rag from US merchants that dun accept oversea CC or other reasons.

Concierge service cost S$10 + 2% of the item cost,they will order the item on ur behalf and ship them back for u.

u will also have to pay for the shipping to the vpost address and to singapore.

regards

kex said:
i use Vpost concierge to get the hahnemuhle photo rag from US merchants that dun accept oversea CC or other reasons.

Concierge service cost S$10 + 2% of the item cost,they will order the item on ur behalf and ship them back for u.

u will also have to pay for the shipping to the vpost address and to singapore.

regards
hi, kex, thanks for the info.

from your experience, how long usually it takes for the full cycle of purchase? until you receive your item?

TIA.

I believe its safe to use TT for some of the reputable places that does not accept overseas credit cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.