How u guys keep your Flash/Speedlite

Status
Not open for further replies.
i took out my metz yesterday after storing in dricabi for about 8 years.

still works like brand new.however, the 'whiteness' of the flash i've yet to determine and i dunno how to 'test' it lah.:dunno: :)

turn the flash to full power shoot a 100% black reflective paper (actually black plastic bag is better). send to the lab ask them not to do any adjustment. if the photo turn out white your flash is as good as new.

becoz the speedlight or flash are powerd by a capacitor which stores the power to make the bulb flash, since the capacitor is made up of some liquids substance. it might be at risk of drying up,

but so far it does not happen to me,

can someone confirm this Fact or fiction....

thanks!

Actually I think its more like fiction. First, not all capacitors are liquid/oil filled and second they are tightly sealed like batteries or you will have bigger problem of leaks (which do occur with age,much like batteries).
most modern flash have quench circuits to drain all charge from the capacitors when you switch the flash off. For those that do not, you can always press the test button to fire off the last charge after switching off. Even if you do not drain off the last charge, if left for some time, the capacitor will naturally drain off its own charge.

I think it's also because you use your gear often that's why they last longer.

In S'pore, the humid weather is a problem, and that may cause corrosion of the contacts in- and outside the flashgun. In any case, I think it's good practice to stick everything in the dri cab, set to medium RH, then occasionally open it to "air" the cab and take your gear out to use. Fire off a few shots with flash also good.

I agree. Even if your contacts don't corrode (worst senario) it will still oxidise and reduce the effectiveness of the contacts. a dry environment will slow it down greatly.

Just came across this post while searching for the CP-E3.

I keep my speedlite in my pouch provided every time I'm done using it. Then store them in the dry cabi. I'd suggest if you're not using it for a long time, just remove the batters in it, as you won't want any battery leaks to damage the circuitry of the flash.

I think whether storing it in the dry cabi or not doesn't matter much, as the intenal circuitry, including capacitors and such, are all enclosed inside the flash casing itself. It's just because I have space inside my dry cabi that I just dump it in. Even if you do not put in the dry cabi, it will still work as per normal.

Just came across this post while searching for the CP-E3.

I keep my speedlite in my pouch provided every time I'm done using it. Then store them in the dry cabi. I'd suggest if you're not using it for a long time, just remove the batters in it, as you won't want any battery leaks to damage the circuitry of the flash.

I think whether storing it in the dry cabi or not doesn't matter much, as the intenal circuitry, including capacitors and such, are all enclosed inside the flash casing itself. It's just because I have space inside my dry cabi that I just dump it in. Even if you do not put in the dry cabi, it will still work as per normal.

Hi Virgo,:) Ya I suppose both(leaving flash inside or outside of dry-cabi) ways shouldn't be any problem;)

Btw, have you found your CP-E3? Cos I (in-the-mid=KIV) thought of selling my very hardly use CP-E3 & BG-E2 anybody interested pls do let me know ok?;)

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Yes, just bought my CP-E3 from CP. $260. Pricing quite high, but no choice cos got wedding to cover this week. :)

Hi Virgo,:) Ya I suppose both(leaving flash inside or outside of dry-cabi) ways shouldn't be any problem;)

Btw, have you found your CP-E3? Cos I (in-the-mid=KIV) thought of selling my very hardly use CP-E3 & BG-E2 anybody interested pls do let me know ok?;)

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Yes, just bought my CP-E3 from CP. $260. Pricing quite high, but no choice cos got wedding to cover this week. :)

Oh yes gd:thumbsup: for wedding coverage;)

Wow:bigeyes: so ON ah:thumbsup: ready at any point of time:cool:

You never know when something will require you to rush off at moments notice to shoot.
The moment, once lost, can never be reproduced.I'd rather not loose that chance, so I keep myself ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.