How to use Circular Polizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

budiman

Nov 12, 2004
Just bought today and don't know how to use it. The outer ring can rotate and the glass is dark.
Any idea? :what:

Attach to lens, point camera at a reflective surface such as a glass table top ( NOT a mirror ok? ;) )
Then turn the CPL filter and see the reflection appear and disappear. Or you can point the thing to the sky and turn. See how the blue 'changes'. Very simple. :sweat:

why buy something when you don't know how to use it? :think:

choose a sunny day, face 90 degrees to the sun, point to either the blue sky & clouds (not overcast!!) or foliage. With the CPL in hand, slowly slowly rotate the outer ring. Slowly because the saturation change is very slight to the naked eye, chances are that you'll miss it since you don't know what to look for. The saturation change comes and goes, so sooner or later (before the eyes tired) you'll notice some difference.

Better yet, shoot some pics with and without it. Follow the 90 degree rule for best effect.

To add, the CPL will take away about 2 stops. Adjust accordingly.

Usually there's a marker on the CPL. If it's pointing in the direction of the light-source it'll be in full effect. If you turn it slowly to 45 degress away, the effect is lessened.

At 90 degrees to the light, the effect is minimal--possibly similar effect to an ND filter, I think :think:

hmm.. you're right xaler. 45 degrees it is.

OT here....say I have lenses of thread sizes 77mm, 67mm, 58mm & 52mm. The norm is to buy a CP of size 77mm and use step down rings rite? This will save money and logistics....make sense?

Or do you guys buy CP for every thread sizes u have
:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

TIA!

plinius said:
OT here....say I have lenses of thread sizes 77mm, 67mm, 58mm & 52mm. The norm is to buy a CP of size 77mm and use step down rings rite? This will save money and logistics....make sense?

TIA!

it would be the practical thing to do if you have such a wide variety of threads.

btw, it's step-up rings, not step-down.

foxtwo said:
why buy something when you don't know how to use it? :think:
That is why I a newbie join this forum so I can learn from those who are experience. :dunno: still taking lessons and making the shots to compare which setting is best when.

I learnt a lot from reading and from trying out these things. That's the best way I know how. :thumbsup:

P.S. I too bought a CP and not knowing how to use it but now I know and will give it a try as suggested in this thread. :lovegrin:

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.