How to take a good shot at moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewfs

Jan 19, 2002
West Zone
Visit site
I realised that the moon is very bright and round tonight. I try to take a good shot of it, however failed. Can someone pls advise?

Originally posted by lewfs
I realised that the moon is very bright and round tonight. I try to take a good shot of it, however failed. Can someone pls advise?

Actually it's quite easy. Sometimes you don't even need a tripod if the moon is bring enough. I just took one just now from my window. Used shuttle of 1/600sec. Even with 10x optical + 1.7x Digital= 17x zoom, all the image turn out very nicely. I didn't bother to use tripod.

If you camera have manual setting. Just focus on the moon, zoom to the max. amount and snap! Take a few at various shuttle speed till you can see that it is not over-expose or under-expose. Turn of flash as it is totally useless.

Mount your camera on a tripod to play safe if you don't have a stable hand.

Klause,
Thanks for the advise! It works!

Mpenza,
As for the failure, the pic taken is not clear enough even with tripod. Using CoolPix885 wif Fine setting: 1/1000, F7.6, Auto ISO, max zoom @ 3x optical + 4x digital.
Perhaps I should get a good add-on lens for better zooming!

are the pics clear using optical zoom? you probably need to use spot metering and infinity focus in order to capture the moon properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.