How to Stop an Elderly from Feeding Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your bf's stand on and in conflicting matters?

I know it's about your dog now, but remember, it could be your MIL you're talking about in the future.

will be placing her there this weekend would rather spend the money for her to be there over the weekends and let her run away

You've already planned to let your dog run away? :sweat:

wah the dog quite jialat.

i know 2 jack russells who eat chicken rice and beef everyday, with the occassional egg tart treats and bak kwa during CNY. they're still going strong after many years... they're also known as vacuum cleaners when you happen to drop food on the floor

wah the dog quite jialat.

i know 2 jack russells who eat chicken rice and beef everyday, with the occassional egg tart treats and bak kwa during CNY. they're still going strong after many years... they're also known as vacuum cleaners when you happen to drop food on the floor

Which is why I have to make sure my dog do not become "vacuum cleaners". Was home after work and luckily my dog followed me throughout the night cos she sleeps with me on the bed beside me. Play fetch with her till she's really worn out to shed off some pounds hopefully.
This morning before I left the house, I put my dog in a cage to let her rest seems that she's not feeling too good. She keep scratching her back and she shed some fur told my bf that she needs to see a doc. He say okie, he knows its hard to tell his mom off cos old people got ego and pride.
Had a plan to let her stay with my groomer for a few days and work off her fats over the weekends plus let her see doc to ensure she's ok.
Spoken to my maid and told her that if the mom insist on feeding her food then just grab the dog one side and put her in a cage that's the only way I am going to deal with the mom.

do not get the maid involved in the battle. your bf's mom can give her a bad time resulting in this and you may lose a good maid! Best way is still to get her son to talk to her. if he cannot deal with a dog problem with his own mom, imagine if you have kids. just imagine what food your kids will be getting...

at all times, be tactful as this home still have elderlies and being asians, they need to hold some ego, too.

one way is to blast out and make everyone cry. another way is to treat them nice and talk sense into them. being old, they demand some form of respect, too. you are only a gf at this stage (almost an outsider). so, there is a long way to go to understand and to tackle the family culture.

hope you dont mind me being up front. this is a minor problem honestly but will be a good way to try new ways to fix a household problem.

You admitted living in his family so..
Instead of asking How to Stop an Elderly from Feeding Pets, I rather you ask yourself How to mutually get along with elderly and his family.

AND, you are quarreling with bf over his mum doing. A good gf or wife will never try to stir up a man family bond.

You bought the dog in, and if it is the root cause of the problem, you should solve it.

To answer all queries, I have been living in with my bf and his family for 2 years plus already. Everything was fine, the mom loved me, loved the dog etc. But the main problem is she has a certain level of ego and dignity that no one can say her. We have tried talking to her face to face, and she just kept quiet. She will stop a while and then the whole thing starts all over again.
Because of this, I have been quarreling with my bf for quite a few times. Spoken to my dog's groomer, will be placing her there this weekend would rather spend the money for her to be there over the weekends and let her run away then to let her be home and be fed chips, curry, pudding, rice, and even ribena.
Told my bf that if anything were to happen to her once again, I am not willing to pay a single cent if she gets admitted to hospital again.
The previous time my heart ache so much when she puked the whole night, and she could'nt even stand up to walk but she poo-ed blood all night long.
Luckily we managed to save her in time if not she's gone. I was crying every night rushed over to the hospital to visit her during lunch time and after work till visiting hours are over.

You admitted living in his family so..
Instead of asking How to Stop an Elderly from Feeding Pets, I rather you ask yourself How to mutually get along with elderly and his family.

Isn't this what the poster is trying to do? Trying to find an amicable solution to habitual criminal behaviour (cruelty to animals)? What it the old lady started torturing her domestic helper?

AND, you are quarreling with bf over his mum doing. A good gf or wife will never try to stir up a man family bond.

I disagree.

You bought the dog in, and if it is the root cause of the problem, you should solve it.

The root cause of crime are usually not the victims.

would it help if buy some books on dog care, then pretend reading and then share some info on the book with future mom in law like something interesting to know?

My bf was the one who wanted to get a dog therefore as time passes by I am the one taking care of it. I don't mind cos I treat her like my own daughter cos I love dogs myself.
Have been reading up and have been sharing with the mom but she turns a deaf ear after some time. The feeding will stop at some point and start all over again, just a viscious cycle. I hope this cycle will end soon.

give little food just enough for herself :devil:

We don't stop the mom or restraint the mom from taking the amount of food given to her. Titbits and all are in packs therefore we don't go to that extremes cos we know she has got the ego and pride.

These few days of observation from maid tells me that she has stopped for the time being but you wouldn't know when she will start again. Been playing with my dog at least for an hr every night before she sleeps and I am controlling her diet for now to ensure she falls below the overweight range.

how about buying tibits meant for dogs. there are things like chocolates, cookies, and human food look alike. this might be a good way to let her know that she can still feed, but food meant for dogs. I know junk food is bad and this is an expensive route, but this might be a temporary solution rather than kick a big fuss or put the animal on restraining order from granny.

how about buying tibits meant for dogs. there are things like chocolates, cookies, and human food look alike. this might be a good way to let her know that she can still feed, but food meant for dogs. I know junk food is bad and this is an expensive route, but this might be a temporary solution rather than kick a big fuss or put the animal on restraining order from granny.

Even some of those dog titbits are considered very bad junk food. You still have to read the ingredients to make sure. Alot of those stuff if I bring home to feed the family dog, I will have my neck ring by my sister! heh....There are just as much bad pet foods in a pet shop too.

how about buying tibits meant for dogs. there are things like chocolates, cookies, and human food look alike.

I'd be wary about dog food that mimicks human dishes. It easily erodes the awareness that human food is not dog food.

I have a problem that I have been facing for quite some time now. My dog have been hospitalized once having viral infection and was put on a drip. She's very healthy and hyper now but the main issue is my bf's mom has been feeding her human food when I am not around. The maid told the mom the consequences of the dog eating those, she just smiled and continued feeding.

This has happened a few times already. Was away on a trip for the past few days, and my dog ballooned when I saw her. Asked the maid what happen and realised that my bf's mom has been feeding her curry and spicy chips. I was so angry last night and I thought of putting her at groomers' place over the weekend and tell the mom that the dog is in hospital due to all the food poisoning with the x-ray that found undigested curry and chips. See what she has got to say.

What can I do?

a beri tough decision wor..

family or dog?

If family, doggie confirm jialat

If doggie, family jialat.

If I will u, I would rather give the dog away to someone dat can really care for her as I dun my dog to suffer like dat lor cos I believe ur bf's mum sure hear in hear out de.

just move the elderly lady to an old folk home, period. This should be the solution and hopefully you will be able to cohabit with your bf happily forever with the dog.

We just moved the mother from old folk's home to the new home for 1/2 a yr. Previously, the mom had a mild stroke but no one to look after her therefore no choice but to place her there for the time being till we have a maid now to look after her and the dog.

Frankly speaking, some old people very hard to change their mentality.

They 'ok-ok' for a while, den after that back to the same pattern.
Just leave it with those pet boarding houses next time

ts, i know what you mean and totally empathise with you.

for those who tried to give advise like telling the bf's mom directly or other is uselss, regardless of who tells them, they thinks they knows best.

My personal experience is that my dog has skin irritation and the vet says that it is due to certain food kind. I took that food of her menu and it improved, after sometime i found out that it came back again. I tot the vet was wrong.. Only recently did I find out that someone (elder) in my family has been feeding her the stuff I took off the menu she recovered.. :angry:

Then it comes to amount of food. I said "this much is enough". They will say "you don't even know your own dog" and give triple that amount which is a ridiculous mountain in the bowl. Even after finish, they will say, "see? she can finish everything one" :angry::angry:

My dog's getting really really old now, so her digestive system isn't too good and tend to drink more water but too much and she vomits out. What do they do? "No more water for you! Dirty whole house!" I feed water, I get scolding making the dog puke.

Summary: Don't bother arguing with the elders, they are way better than vets and knows dogs best. Bring the dog to a boarding house or leave with professionals who can take care of it if you need to be away for a long time.

a beri tough decision wor..

family or dog?

If family, doggie confirm jialat

If doggie, family jialat.

If I will u, I would rather give the dog away to someone dat can really care for her as I dun my dog to suffer like dat lor cos I believe ur bf's mum sure hear in hear out de.
If you found out your family member has been feeding your child incorrectly, will you give your baby away so he won't suffer?

A dog isn't just for passing around.

Think since old people likes to feed the dog, why stop her? Just be aware of what not to feed. Curry is a nono, onions in there can poison the dog, ribena is also a nono. Grapes, onions, cocoa, sandals, melanins etc list goes on :bsmilie:

My dog used to live solely on human food (rice, sardines, meats, veggies, etc), lived to a healthy ripe old age of 18, a great great great great grandmother without any sickness, full thick fur, died in her sleep peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.