How to pick an amateur DSLR with these requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should add quickly that Pentax is rumoured to be releasing two new DSLRs soon (said to be the K200 and K20). If you can, you might want to delay a week or so to see what they come up with.

Hi,

firstly, welcome to CS.

Of the 3 good cameras you have listed, personally I'll go for the Sony. It's an upcoming brand and if you the extra cash to spend, the Carl Zeiss is really fantastic.

Anyway, the A100 is currently 'Out of Stock' as Sony is making way for it's replacement - the Sony A200 to reach our shores. It should be here in another week or 2 if everything is per schedule.

Do check it out. ;)

Hey all!

Here's my two bit worth..

Personally I prefer Nikon simply because of the user interface design. It doesn't come in the way when you are trying to take pictures. You can almost completely bypass menus and use buttons and dials to quickly configure settings to capture "the" moment. And the in-camera color enhancement does wonders too. I feel its the perfect beginners' DSLR, lets you learn quickly and helps you along. But yeah, different strokes for different blokes..

And now my question as an international student who is very new to Singapore (4 days :cool: and I :heart: it here). I wanted to buy a Nikon for myself and went to Slim Lim Square. Now the strange situation was that the prices being quoted were sooo LOW that I was flummoxed! :dunno:

Nikon D40 + Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S + 2 Gb card +1 year international warranty = S$ 700

Is it for real or was I being jacked?

(My apologies if I am posting in the wrong place)

~exhale!

the 55-200 afs (assuming its the VR version) is $300+ SGD, which makes yr D40 only $400.. :confused: and u can't even get a 3 year old D70 with that price, and I'm talking about body only.So there must be a catch somewhere.. maybe the 'international warranty' is not really international warranty? But even if it's a grey set, it shouldn't be so cheap.. hmmmm...

Care to share what shop quoted you this package?

Day 5 in Singapore :) Beautiful country you have out here!

Aaahh.. but I think its just a trick the guy is playing on me to ensure that I go back to him. I never caught the name of the shop but I'll recognize it once I go there again in a couple of days. Will post the name soon and check out the camera for real. From what I have gathered, a D40 kit should go for about S$ 830 or so.. 700 is crazy.

Should I be expecting discounts once the Chinese new year starts?

Btw, internet chatter tells me that cameras in general are cheaper in Malaysia. Is it true?

meanwhile here are some pics from back home: www.flickr.com/photos/grub

Generally, my impression is that imported stuffs in Malaysia are more expensive. Maybe it is because of some import tax. Domestic products there are generally cheaper than Singapore. Do not know specifically about photography stuff. But once I was in KL, my friend wanted to get a spare Olympus battery, the price quoted was around 2 to 3 times the same one sold in Singapore.

depends on which shop you go to in malaysia.. not all will give international warranty iirc so take note of that, unless you are ok with running to malaysia when there are problems with camera. in any case, the quotation given is fishy, sounds like the usual sls tactic, then later they sell you back accessories that they take out of the box, or they give you something with stuff inside missing.. then you also sian.. my advice is to buy from the usual suspect shops, e.g. cathay photo, alan photo, ms colour, john 3:16, orient photo.. there is a reason why they have always been more or less recommended by groups of people.. though some of us have experienced bad service by certain shops but i don't think they have tried to "cheat" anyone yet.. other than varying quotations.

can't remember whether cny got special offer, but is rare i guess.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I just got myself a Sony Alpha A100 w SAL1870 kit lens yesterday =)
I know A200 is coming to Singapore soon, but oh well, I've no idea what the price is like and more importantly I cant wait!

Snap snap away!
Weisheng

Dont really have to worry much for the A200. It will probably be higher priced then the A100. According to initial previews, the major difference seems to be better high ISO control. Then again with IS build in, you may actually not use high ISO that often.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I just got myself a Sony Alpha A100 w SAL1870 kit lens yesterday =)
I know A200 is coming to Singapore soon, but oh well, I've no idea what the price is like and more importantly I cant wait!

Snap snap away!
Weisheng

Cool, congratulations in getting your cam bro.

Keep shooting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.