How to make the photo in black and white form with only a certain area in color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
theRBK,

yup, i duplicated, and click on the newly duplicated layer and switch to grayscale.
i definitely did it wrong.

so how do i convert a pic to B&W?

thanks in advance;)

Ok, to condense the common methods:

1) the simplest way is to go to menu Image>Adjustments and select Desaturate.

2) use Hue/Saturation/Brightness, either from the menu Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation... or as an adjustment layer Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Hue/Saturation..., and pull the saturation value all the way to -100. This method will not work properly in CMYK colour...in case anyone here uses that...

3) use Channel Mixer, either from the menu Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer, or as an adjustment layer Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer, select Monochrome at the bottom left of the window, and adjust the colour channels to optimise the output... a generic set of figures you could start with is Red 25%, Green 50%, Blue 25%

learn to use the tablet... it is not money wasted... after you get used to it, you would not want to go back to using mouse to do digital imaging ever again... maybe earthlings meant the Pro photographers... but as far as I know, all DI Pros use tablets :)

theRBK said:
Ok, to condense the common methods:
learn to use the tablet... it is not money wasted... after you get used to it, you would not want to go back to using mouse to do digital imaging ever again... maybe earthlings meant the Pro photographers... but as far as I know, all DI Pros use tablets :)

just like all pro photog must use DSLR? :sweat:

wildstallion said:
also can just desaturate then go over the areas you want in colour with the history brush
This is the easiest way, don't know why nobody notice it :confused:

Clown said:
just like all pro photog must use DSLR? :sweat:
well there are those who use digital backs...;p

Maybe let me rephrase my statement... All the DI Pros I know use tablets when doing their work... and that number should fill a reasonable sized classroom... :)

As for history brush, thing is, you can't change it after you close the file...

theRBK said:
well there are those who use digital backs...;p

Maybe let me rephrase my statement... All the DI Pros I know use tablets when doing their work... and that number should fill a reasonable sized classroom... :)

As for history brush, thing is, you can't change it after you close the file...
haha.. dun so serious lah.. joking only. =)

:bsmilie:

Hi
I dunno if anyone mentioned this technique (I looked, but didn't find it) but what I do is:
1. create an adjustment layer and desaturate the image
2. Use the paint brush with black to paint onto the adjustment layer - this removes the effect of the adjustment layer so the areas that are painted black will show the unaffected layer below

This has the advantage in that you can always paint in white to replace the layer effect or even in shades of grey to give you differing levels of the same effect across the picture.

Enjoy
J

thank you very much guys,
i've got it.tablet is really useful.beginning to love it.:lovegrin:

justyn said:
Hi
I dunno if anyone mentioned this technique (I looked, but didn't find it) but what I do is:
1. create an adjustment layer and desaturate the image
2. Use the paint brush with black to paint onto the adjustment layer - this removes the effect of the adjustment layer so the areas that are painted black will show the unaffected layer below

This has the advantage in that you can always paint in white to replace the layer effect or even in shades of grey to give you differing levels of the same effect across the picture.

Enjoy
J
yup, in the ways I described above, there is the option to use an adjustment layer, and it follows that we can modify the masking of the adjustment layer to selectively and non-destructively change the area that is turned into B/W :)

but as I pointed out, in CMYK, desaturating would not give B/W...more like sepia...no such prob in RGB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.