How to convince Canon user to buy into 4/3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made up but not my sister, and she is the one buying hehe. Well, just keep thread handy in case anyone wants to get information. For me I still love my slides :devil:

theITguy said:
I made up but not my sister, and she is the one buying hehe. Well, just keep thread handy in case anyone wants to get information. For me I still love my slides :devil:

let her handle the camera loh. sometimes, it's the feel that counts.

Let her be lah, not my money that counts :cool:

In anyway, her whole gear needs to be sold off IMO. Just get the Lousy 17-40/4.0 and 50/1.4.

why the switch? there's quite a lot of gear u've gotten for canon. i think everyone has to get use to using wider lens for 'normal' 35mm coverage (except for 35mm sensor) in the digital era. so far the widest lens from Oly is the 7-14 F4. not sure if thats wide enough for u. :)

anyway, if u haven't seen the recent tomcat post of his trip to Italy using his E300, go check it out. he will also be in a better person to talk to since he owns both Canon & Oly. he used the kit lens most of the time & it is very very good!! :) small & compact to hide away from unwanted attention too! (if lomo style is what u r looking for) http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=117630

let your sis feel the E300 before deciding, cos its heavier than any low end consumer DSLR but easy to navigate. after a brief encounter with it, i must say its pretty good for what its worth. ;) have fun shopping!! :cheers:

(ps. btw, the 17-40L is a pretty good glass & so is the 50/1.4.)

I have had an outing with a few friends last Sunday, shooting flowers in the morning. It was quite breezy.

Most of them are Nikonians and I'm the only Olympus 4/3 user.

Guess what, none of them dare changing lenses and only bring one lens?!

I brought along 3 lenses, 14-45, 40-150 and 50mm macro, and had been swopping lenses like nobody's business!

What is this, isn't it suppose to be flexible owning a DSLR? Isn't this what we are looking for - able to swap lenses to maximise quality and efficiency?

Got a chance to test shoot with a D70+80-200 f2.8 yesterday. Through casual inspection, I feel that the ZD 50-200mm is sharper, and it weighs much lighter. The 80-200 f2.8 is really too heavy and bulky. I'm quite happy with my 40-150 (80-300) now, and saving for the better 50-200.

I think, this could be one very big reason to take a serious look at Olympus.

And now, I know I've made the right choice. :cool:

ykkok said:
Guess what, none of them dare changing lenses and only bring one lens?!

I brought along 3 lenses......

for some users, its not a matter of dare of not, more often i bring out a zoom lens for vaction as i only use this range most of the time to compose and shoot. Same when i go for casual shooting. i often only bring one or two primes to force myself to compose only with the lens i have. Its a challenge and its very rewarding.

Hmmm, just to lighten a thread that appears to be heavy going. I recall an Oly thread on dpreview.

It says Oly's Supersonic Wave Filter kicks in each time you power up and when you wake the E-system from sleep. All this takes a shade under 2 secs and if discounted, the camera is competitive in reacting to sudden shooting situations. The user, who also uses a competitive brand which has features that compare favourably with the E-system was dismayed to note that the competitor's system while faster off the mark to get the first shot, had to contend to dust spotting for all that's on the CF card at the end of the shoot.

I think that's what Ykkok was trying to get at; and that's what I feel the most under-stated feature of the E-system; you never hear any E1/E300 user talk about it, because it's handled so transparently & is never suppose to be the job of the eye behind the lens.

Cheers,

Belle&Sebastain said:
for some users, its not a matter of dare of not, more often i bring out a zoom lens for vaction as i only use this range most of the time to compose and shoot. Same when i go for casual shooting. i often only bring one or two primes to force myself to compose only with the lens i have. Its a challenge and its very rewarding.

Sorry if my remark sounds offensive. I was just referring to my group of friends who have quite some good lenses and accessories but not fully utilising them. I am the last of the group who purchase a DSLR upgrading from FZ-20. I do not like the burden of carrying so many lenses but were persuaded by most of them saying - the beauty of DSLR is the ability to switch lenses to get the better quality.

But at the end of the day, most (my group of friends again) are afraid of dust problem! One even considering to sell all his lenses, and instead, getting one that stretches from wide to medium tele and stick to it to avoid changing lenses - due to dust problem.

chancy said:
Hmmm, just to lighten a thread that appears to be heavy going. I recall an Oly thread on dpreview.

It says Oly's Supersonic Wave Filter kicks in each time you power up and when you wake the E-system from sleep. All this takes a shade under 2 secs and if discounted, the camera is competitive in reacting to sudden shooting situations. The user, who also uses a competitive brand which has features that compare favourably with the E-system was dismayed to note that the competitor's system while faster off the mark to get the first shot, had to contend to dust spotting for all that's on the CF card at the end of the shoot.

I think that's what Ykkok was trying to get at; and that's what I feel the most under-stated feature of the E-system; you never hear any E1/E300 user talk about it, because it's handled so transparently & is never suppose to be the job of the eye behind the lens.

Cheers,

really i shoot at F8 and wider and honestly i never have any dust issue on my 10D's ( 1 year ++) and D30's (3 year old cmos sensor). even when i bump up to f22 i really never encounter dust spots problem expect for the 1D CCD sensor but i believe its the 8fps that the mirror flaps at a very fast rate that dust settles easily on the sensor.

so yes while the senor cleaning is a brillant idea, not all DSLR really suffers from the dust problem or at a frequent rate so its point mooted for some.

ykkok said:
Sorry if my remark sounds offensive. I was just referring to my group of friends who have quite some good lenses and accessories but not fully utilising them. I am the last of the group who purchase a DSLR upgrading from FZ-20. I do not like the burden of carrying so many lenses but were persuaded by most of them saying - the beauty of DSLR is the ability to switch lenses to get the better quality.

But at the end of the day, most (my group of friends again) are afraid of dust problem! One even considering to sell all his lenses, and instead, getting one that stretches from wide to medium tele and stick to it to avoid changing lenses - due to dust problem.

no not at all offending! :bsmilie: not sure abt nikon CCD sensors but i assure you my cameras dun usually gives me any spots. read my post above.

:bsmilie: and sometimes, their worries make me nervous in changing lens too!

May be it's just over worried!

ykkok said:
:bsmilie: and sometimes, their worries make me nervous in changing lens too!

May be it's just over worried!

i'm more worried that i miss a shot than dust on my sensor, different ppl, enjoy your shots! ;)

theITguy said:
Hi, while typing this in this forum, my sister whom I am trying to convince is also looking at this forum :bsmilie:

Anyway, she is a Canon only user, EOS 5 with 24mm, 75-300 and 28-80 (Tamron?) lens and 540EZ flash.

Comeon, help me with some ideas.
Christopher

FYI, I don't think she can get 1k if she sell all the above.
Btw I think eos5 is under rated. I love using it.

Hi guys, went to East Coast Park this morning, nice weather. Talked to a guy who shoots MF + 35mm. Then later talked to my sister. Realised that my sister after listening to the problems with Canon, Nikon and current DSLR situation (of course I got bash Olympus by saying what if it fails as a standard), she want to stick to film for the moment.

My heart is :devil: :devil: :devil:

Here comes my film scanner

well, every sys has some flaws in them. film has its fair share too. :) can i recommend u with a nikon 5000ED film scanner? stunning results!! :devil: i know becos i own one. :bsmilie:

nightpiper, you got tried the V instead? wanting to get the V as overall better than the DS IV and got ICE, not as expensive and big filed like the 5400 minolta.

If you cannot convince your sister, then you should join her :p

anyway your sister can always get a used DSLR and use with existing lens.

theITguy said:
nightpiper, you got tried the V instead? wanting to get the V as overall better than the DS IV and got ICE, not as expensive and big filed like the 5400 minolta.

tried it in those expo fairs. i still prefer 16bits to 14bits. u pay a premium for the 5000ED but i do believe u will love the results. :devil: no regrets abosolutely!! but dun expect it to scan really super fast like stated in the specs. if u want the ultimatum in quality, the scanning can take up to 15mins per frame (dependent on CPU speed & max multi sample scans).

Hi,

Some point and shoot pics for ITguy's sis to have an idea. I did not post - process only some cropping was done. Some pics are bluish coz I forgotten to change the white balance after I used the cam indoors. Basically, the camera is quite simple to use. AF has been used throughout.

http://getsurin.multiply.com/photos/album/8

Again, I am not trying to compare w/ other brands which I do not have the benefit of using one.

Status
Not open for further replies.