How to choose UV Filter for 18-105mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital3yez

Jan 18, 2009
North
Hi There,

Am getting D90, I'm wondering how to go about choosing a UV Filter for a 18-105mm lens?
Heard B+W is one of the best filters ?

Appreciate your expertise.

Thanks! :)

If I were you, just a simple Hoya filter will do. But if you have the cash, yeah... B+W is good.

Hi There,

Am getting D90, I'm wondering how to go about choosing a UV Filter for a 18-105mm lens?
Heard B+W is one of the best filters ?

Appreciate your expertise.

Thanks! :)

the very first thing u need to know is the diameter of teh filter that will fit ur lens. in ur case it'll be 67mm.

other factors to consisder already got the link above.

but if u wanna spare urself e headache, just go for a HOYA

the very first thing u need to know is the diameter of teh filter that will fit ur lens. in ur case it'll be 67mm.

other factors to consisder already got the link above.

but if u wanna spare urself e headache, just go for a HOYA

Or Kenko... they are the same thing. But Kenko can save you a few more bucks.

NC filter. :thumbsup:

i like hoya brand (basic) not the multi-coated ones (expensive)

hi..

was abt to buy a filter for my 18-105mm

newbie to photography..so wats the diff betw uv,nd or just normal filter?

anywhere to shed some light?

abit confused...

I heard that UV light has actually not much effect on digital camera, cause there is already a very powerful UV filter inside before the image sensor. So I think the UV filter is actually more for protection purpose.

I heard that UV light has actually not much effect on digital camera, cause there is already a very powerful UV filter inside before the image sensor. So I think the UV filter is actually more for protection purpose.

+1 yup. Digital cameras are not affected by UV. :thumbsup:

I used to use the basic Hoyas in my prosumer days. And on bright sunny days and night shoots I do get a lot more problems like glare, ghosting and flare.

I have since moved on to multicoated ones like Kenko Pro 1 D or Hoya HMC. Price wise only $10 or $20 more per filter. I would say it is worth it.

hi..

was abt to buy a filter for my 18-105mm

newbie to photography..so wats the diff betw uv,nd or just normal filter?

anywhere to shed some light?

abit confused...

Do a google on "photographic filters" and the first result is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

The amount of time you used to post this you could have read and got the answers. Google is your best friend.

I too wonder why I buy such an expensive filter, for a kit lens :embrass:

But I did. And don't really regret it. I like to shoot in the streets and walking about with cam on, lens cap off and you never really know when someone (or yourself) going to touch it or bump into something, and yet still getting pictures that don't look like there's another piece of glass in front of it. When I started out, I learnt that free filters bundled in, are really, really difficult to clean and make your picture not look "different" (read up on filters). So, for some time, I just did without filters, but can't really walk around with lens cap off, which I really enjoy. :dunno:

I too wonder why I buy such an expensive filter, for a kit lens :embrass:

But I did. And don't really regret it. I like to shoot in the streets and walking about with cam on, lens cap off and you never really know when someone (or yourself) going to touch it or bump into something, and yet still getting pictures that don't look like there's another piece of glass in front of it. When I started out, I learnt that free filters bundled in, are really, really difficult to clean and make your picture not look "different" (read up on filters). So, for some time, I just did without filters, but can't really walk around with lens cap off, which I really enjoy. :dunno:

You should look into using lens hoods.

One of the London shop keepers once told me that today's digital camera lens doesnt need UV filter as the lens itself have UV coating...most of us uses UV filter as protector...so instead of UV filter you can buy protector itself

You should look into using lens hoods.

Now I am reminded how I used to do it :bsmilie:
Thanks for reminder. The 18-105mm I am using most did not come with lens hood.

ermm y nt mulitcoated?

I used to use the basic Hoyas in my prosumer days. And on bright sunny days and night shoots I do get a lot more problems like glare, ghosting and flare.

I have since moved on to multicoated ones like Kenko Pro 1 D or Hoya HMC. Price wise only $10 or $20 more per filter. I would say it is worth it.

ermm any idea which hoya filter is good n not too ex?
thanx

ermm y nt mulitcoated?

ermm any idea which hoya filter is good n not too ex?
thanx

I would go for Kenko pro 1 D protector filters. Same thing as hoya but cheaper. Get it at OP. Or if you travel a lot, get it in China.

Now I am reminded how I used to do it :bsmilie:
Thanks for reminder. The 18-105mm I am using most did not come with lens hood.

Opps. Sorry, I never owned a 18-105. Been using the Tamron 17-50 from day one.

If your lens have a front element that rotates when focusing, what you can use is one of those screw on type hoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.