How much will a tablet influence the photography world in years to come??

Don't like tablets much. Can't abide the lack of physical keyboard. Can get a netbook for the same size with physical keyboard. Only place tablets might work if when you are lounging on your bed reading/surfing.
And yes, strongly believe in powerful desktop at home and less powerful netbook on the move. :)

Not influencing but contributing to the process of enjoying photography. As like some has commented, the tablet is an alternative device to showcasing your portfolio digitally. By iteself, the iPad and other tablets can wow your audience by its sleek UI design. Using it as a digital photo display will create a more pleasant experience provided your pictures are awesome ....

Although I am a huge fan of the iPad (I own 2), I highly suggest getting a Mac instead, especially the Mac air. similar form factor and weight but packs more power. I feel that's more relevant to photogs.

Although I am a huge fan of the iPad (I own 2), I highly suggest getting a Mac instead, especially the Mac air. similar form factor and weight but packs more power. I feel that's more relevant to photogs.

I've already have a macbook white. Thus now am toying with the idea of getting an iMac for home use and also and iPad...

how about a 15"inch MacBook Pro? Do you find it heavy and bulky to carry along?

It's neither here nor there imo. It packs more power, but still not enough for serious editing (especially if you shoot RAW). My desktop already sometimes struggle with 12MP RAW files in Lightroom, and I expect the MBA to be much worse than that. If I really wanted to have a portable device to show my pictures, I'd use a tablet. Processing of images will definitely be on a desktop or a high end laptop. Not a MBA.

It's neither here nor there imo. It packs more power, but still not enough for serious editing (especially if you shoot RAW). My desktop already sometimes struggle with 12MP RAW files in Lightroom, and I expect the MBA to be much worse than that. If I really wanted to have a portable device to show my pictures, I'd use a tablet. Processing of images will definitely be on a desktop or a high end laptop. Not a MBA.

Well said, that's what I thought too...

I am.
Hoping that it would reach our shores sooner than later

well...its up to the manufacturers coming with tablets that are fully functional like a notebook, they are just playing the game of introducing u slowly with a new feature instead of 5 at a time. They wouldnt want to break their own ricebowl of giving u everything at once, same like iphones, 2g, 3g, 3gs, 4 (all these within a span of a less than a yr minus manufacturing time)...

i believe tablets will be one of necessties when u go on photography trips.