how much should i charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
normally couples will spend a great deal on their gown, dinner etc etc but they forgotten the important of having a good photographer to cover the wedding. They thought it is just shooting and anyone can do it.

For me, my friends know that i am a photographer, but i will never help them take. i rather have less business than lost a friend due to any miss shots . . . but so far so good, there are more shots than miss shots. :)

Esp when you are working together.

I was in a similar position as you too last year.

My friend got married and they insisted not to get a professional so I've got no choice.
I was invited for the wedding and I gave them a big angbao..

In the end after the morning tea, ROM and evening banquet..they gave me $14. :sweat:

So what I'm saying is if you really end up taking the shots for them..do quote a reasonable price for yourself..or not you may end up like me..I still had to pay to take a cab home!
Haha.. that was my story..

In the end after the morning tea, ROM and evening banquet..they gave me $14. :sweat:

Wow, that's really giam to the core! But some people are like that lah....

I was in a similar position as you too last year.

My friend got married and they insisted not to get a professional so I've got no choice.
I was invited for the wedding and I gave them a big angbao..

So what I'm saying is if you really end up taking the shots for them..do quote a reasonable price for yourself..or not you may end up like me..I still had to pay to take a cab home!
Haha.. that was my story..
$14???!!

are they Chinese in the first place??!!

anyway, here is a "tips" for you, next time you encounter this, just open the angbao in front of them and return the money, tell them you truly appreciate their kindness but can not keep the money, only keep the red paper (angbao) for good luck.

They can spend so much on their dinner, gown, etc etc . . . but see giving a photographer his deserving $$ as unneccessary.

It is degrading to receive such 'peanuts'. i will give them just a photo thru email or rather tell them that my memory card is faulty.

thanks for the replies here folks... really appreciate it, i talked to my Pro photographer friend about the situation, and he agreed to take me in as his 2nd... so am pretty happy with it. the only thing left to do is to tell my colleague about it, update you with the result once she goes back to work (currently on leave). cheers!

$14???!!

are they Chinese in the first place??!!

Or $8 + $6. $8 from groom/bride, $6 from groom's parents/stepping into the new house (ta xing fang). But give $8 from the couple might as well don't give. :bsmilie: From either side parents for 8 bux at least mian qiang still can.

Good choice. Seriously as a second shooter its good that the main does not mind. Coz I know I'd just snap it with him/her as part of the photo - I always make it a point to explain during meetup first and tell them that since they are part of the wedding they will be inside and any blocked shots I cannot help since they are guests and part of the wedding, and since they are guests I'd let them have chances to take pictures as well. (I do not differentiate bt aunties with a PnS and a guy with 2 DSLRs).
One can't care too much.... I ever tried to avoid them and during a solemnisation there were too many people as there was the Pro VG and me, and then 2 more shooters. So in the end being "a nice guy" I was squeezed right at the moment of exchange of rings and I could not get a clear shot (8 frames the 2nd shooter's long Nikkor 24-70 was in my frame).....I simply cannot afford to affect the VG's shot so I gave him space and sacrified. In the end I explained to the couple and they accepted.

So who lugi only, the couple.

;):thumbsup:

thanks for the replies here folks... really appreciate it, i talked to my Pro photographer friend about the situation, and he agreed to take me in as his 2nd... so am pretty happy with it. the only thing left to do is to tell my colleague about it, update you with the result once she goes back to work (currently on leave). cheers!

Good choice. Seriously as a second shooter its good that the main does not mind. Coz I know I'd just snap it with him/her as part of the photo - I always make it a point to explain during meetup first and tell them that since they are part of the wedding they will be inside and any blocked shots I cannot help since they are guests and part of the wedding, and since they are guests I'd let them have chances to take pictures as well. (I do not differentiate bt aunties with a PnS and a guy with 2 DSLRs). You can't be nasty to the guests nowadays, some aggressive ones would tell you where to stand and position yourself like the Pro stands in the house during the sabo session and he will stand outside of the house, poke his lens into each and every of your shot and even the VG complains about that. Can't be too aggressive as some guests are really sensitive, before you know it they will misunderstand and will whack you up in the wedding forums. As a pro you have to be professional in your behaviour - elbowing him out of the way does not qualify as being pro, though in your mind you might be so pissed that you are really thinking of doing that.

One can't care too much.... I ever tried to avoid them and during a solemnisation there were too many people as there was the Pro VG and me, and then 2 more shooters. So in the end being "a nice guy" I was squeezed right at the moment of exchange of rings and I could not get a clear shot (all 8 frames the 2nd shooter's long Nikkor 24-70 was in my frame, I could have shot more but no point as you'd affect the VG).....you can't say a single word with the VG around. I simply cannot afford to affect the VG's shot so I gave him space and sacrified. In the end I explained to the couple and they accepted.

So who lugi only, the couple.

One thing about charging - anything even if its just a small token sum of $388 to shoot, is that you will be expected to shoot it no matter what happens. Some part-timers don't know this is such a big responsibility and is nearly as important as the banquet itself. (hotels may give a very big discount if something happens like power failure, fire, stage collapsing, inexperienced server losing balance and spilling a whole dish on guests, hotel villa flooding and cockroaches coming out to play due to heavy rain etc). Police case, or SCDF case coz stage caught fire and burning the hair/clothes, heart attack while Yum Seng on stage, 3 days after wedding divorce liao.... all got. You must have a plan whatever happens, this includes SAF mob, sick, inclement weather thus causing jams/flood (best case is take MRT) etc.

Yesterday, having diarrohea and 37.1 fever, still shooting. Just pop paracetamol/loperamide in and hope for the best. I remember in 2006 end I really could not take it, 5 days in hospital. Called Joho and luckily he could cover 1 event for me. After I left hospital continued shooting 2 ADs for the weekend.

Luckily now better, coz Wed got AD. Its really not a good feelign when you are sick and you have to shoot.
Here in CS, we just talk and paint a rosy picture.

Haha. Well its really a lesson learnt for me.

Yes they are Chinese, very rich still. I don't know why cnt they afford a pro.

Anyway, its their parents who gave me the angbao. $10 from the guy side..and $4 from the female side.

I gave them the photos still..

Rmb guys..CHARGE! don't tell them to give whatever they want..you may just end up with $14..hahaha!

One thing about charging - anything even if its just a small token sum of $388 to shoot, is that you will be expected to shoot it no matter what happens. Some part-timers don't know this is such a big responsibility and is nearly as important as the banquet itself. (hotels may give a very big discount if something happens like power failure, fire, stage collapsing, inexperienced server losing balance and spilling a whole dish on guests, hotel villa flooding and cockroaches coming out to play due to heavy rain etc). Police case, or SCDF case coz stage caught fire and burning the hair/clothes, heart attack while Yum Seng on stage, 3 days after wedding divorce liao.... all got. You must have a plan whatever happens, this includes SAF mob, sick, inclement weather thus causing jams/flood (best case is take MRT) etc.

Yesterday, having diarrohea and 37.1 fever, still shooting. Just pop paracetamol/loperamide in and hope for the best. I remember in 2006 end I really could not take it, 5 days in hospital. Called Joho and luckily he could cover 1 event for me. After I left hospital continued shooting 2 ADs for the weekend.

Luckily now better, coz Wed got AD. Its really not a good feelign when you are sick and you have to shoot.
Here in CS, we just talk and paint a rosy picture.

this is one sad truth that most people doesn't look at... props to you bro for making it!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bro.. good to see that there is a Pro involved .. this is not a small matter as most has voiced up

I have play second and third to a friend who is a Pro.. and there are timing that you need to observe .. I done this enough time and still can't figure it out what to do what .. monkey see monkey do

Through the whole thing.. the actual dinner shots are by far the most straight forward

Enjoy your shoot

Cheers

Bro.. good to see that there is a Pro involved .. this is not a small matter as most has voiced up

I have play second and third to a friend who is a Pro.. and there are timing that you need to observe .. I done this enough time and still can't figure it out what to do what .. monkey see monkey do

Through the whole thing.. the actual dinner shots are by far the most straight forward

Enjoy your shoot

Cheers

thanks bro!;)

I think as a Pro especially a photographer, we cannot 'fly kite' . . . at least we need to get a good replacement. I ever got a phone call and ask whether i am free to shoot early in the morning at 6am. He told me that his photographer didn't turn up who is suppose to be there at 5am. (and cannot be contacted)

He asked me for my price . . . i told him . . . most important now is to shoot and worry later.

Without negotiating the price, i just pack and go . . . Anyway i just ask for the same amount that he is paying that guy. (below my rate) And refused any additional.

So for those photographers who 'fly kite', pls leave the profession and don't spoil the reputation of our passion and profession.

Once a MUA also fly kite. But I guess is the really super part-time freelance ones, coz all the freelance ones I know are ok and in the job for long. MUA easier esp on a hot date, just a few calls sure one or two can jump over after they finish. Just that you will be delayed.

Its dangerous, those analog alarm clocks which you can set the alarm time by tuning the knob, but then you need to switch the alarm from OFF to ON....sometimes you just conveniently set the time but forgot to turn on. And the HP is in the living room charging. (so got morning call also no use esp if vol is minimum or silent mode) :) So for me Alarm Clock also got real-time backup. Yes, its that critical, just 1 bad case can screw up your 10 years reputation.

just do it bro

learn from pro .
By the way what is DO n Dont for wedding photography.. any senior can share ?
Going to shoot weeding for first this weekend

Once a MUA also fly kite. But I guess is the really super part-time freelance ones, coz all the freelance ones I know are ok and in the job for long. MUA easier esp on a hot date, just a few calls sure one or two can jump over after they finish. Just that you will be delayed.

Its dangerous, those analog alarm clocks which you can set the alarm time by tuning the knob, but then you need to switch the alarm from OFF to ON....sometimes you just conveniently set the time but forgot to turn on. And the HP is in the living room charging. (so got morning call also no use esp if vol is minimum or silent mode) :) So for me Alarm Clock also got real-time backup. Yes, its that critical, just 1 bad case can screw up your 10 years reputation.

Yes its good to have a backup alarm device. On my phone I will set 2 alarms within 10 minutes of each other. And on another alarm clock set to ring with the phone. It will be placed a short distance away from the bed so that I have to get up in order to set off its deafening alarm. :bsmilie: But in most cases I always wake up a minute or two (automatically) before any of the device rings. ;)

To become a photographer, one would really need to learn and comfortable with their skill... how much to charge is a question you ask when you know what to do with your images not before it.

If this is the maiden shoot, you might want to ask yourself if you are up to it.

Many rush to charge before they are ready. Lets face it, most part of photography will involve dealing with people... unfortunately, there are not many second chance.

Of course, if you are comfortable with your skills... go for it... but as many have mentioned, learn from a pro is a good idea.

Good luck for the shoot... its fun...

Regards,

Hart

There must be a first time for everything
If you never try..forever you'll never get those experience

be confident with your skill..and don't forget to get a backup photographer

just a newbie opinion.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.