How much salary increment you got this year ?

How much salary increment you got this year ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Singapor Boss say to us engineers that we are lucky he is still let us work for him. That we are luckier we are not leave with no job. So he saids we must not expect pay increases. That we should number our lucky stars that he only reduces our salaries to let us work with him because the times are low and the company earns very lsmall profit . That was 2 months ago. Today he drive to office a brand new nissan fairlady and has the cheep to show us off.

Don't you know, as long as their pockets are full, nobody cares for employees...

btw, how's the starting pay for fresh engineering grads now? it used to be ~$2.5k-3k during my time. has it reduced?

It is interesting to note that the NWC is recommending wage increment this year up to 4% and most of the posts here have shown to be more pessimistic....

Structurally, we cannot afford to price ourselves out of the international job market. We are twice as expensive as a Malaysian, thrice for Indonesian and Thai. ... But that is before we weight it with a cost of living index.

After factoring in cost of living, we are about slightly better off than the Thais and Malaysians by between 10 - 20%.

Productivity & quality are the buzz words for us in getting more....

From another angle, if the cost of living in Singapore came down, that would also mean a de facto wage increase....

Perhaps for photographers, we could lobby the Singapore Statistics office to include photographic equipment into the cost of living index ;) ....
Wait long long....

I am happy if they addressed the housing, transport components which form
more than half to two thirds of a person's disposable income.

The balance goes to health care, education, and what not.....

BONUS is a strange animal, I remember when Singapore's GDP hjt 10% growth one year not too long ago and most Singaporeans I talked to did not feel
rich in their pockets....Most of it went to the shareholders....Moral of the story? Be a shareholder if you are economically wealthy and be rewarded.

That is risk taking for rewards.

Increments?
What increments? I've not had one for 3 years now on top of my already measly salary :(

espn said:
Don't you know, as long as their pockets are full, nobody cares for employees...

Because our government is pro employer mah, there are no strong union of whatever body to help us fight for our rights.

At current situation, even when companies are making money, the members of the management board will take this opportunity (business is still bad excuses) to reduce labour cost thus reduces operation cost which inturn increases the company profit and cash flow. They will take this excuses (due to their excellent leadership and business strategy, their company makes more money) to get themselves rewarded while the rest of the employee still suffered pay cuts. What a wonderful business plan. :thumbsup:

market bad now, what choice do we have? they are saying this year more vacancy, but seems like that abt it, pay is still low or lower.

btw, engineering jobs now for fresh grad is 2-2.5. other specialities are even lower, most of my friends (me included) if we can see 2 we happy liao, too bad that's not the case

Guess that is the market reality....

In any case, my reading from this is that the younger generation will focus
on short-term gratifications like holidays, cars, cameras, watches etc
rather than buying a property with which they have to spend a life time
(30years) paying for with no guarantee that they can look beyond a year...

For the rest of us, we will have to just accept that the forces of demand and supply does not work in our favor with the NIEs (newly industralised countries) providing cheaper labor albeit quality variances.

I would think that accepting that change is a constant would have to be
a motto for all of us......

scanner said:
Because our government is pro employer mah, there are no strong union of whatever body to help us fight for our rights.

At current situation, even when companies are making money, the members of the management board will take this opportunity (business is still bad excuses) to reduce labour cost thus reduces operation cost which inturn increases the company profit and cash flow. They will take this excuses (due to their excellent leadership and business strategy, their company makes more money) to get themselves rewarded while the rest of the employee still suffered pay cuts. What a wonderful business plan. :thumbsup:
Yeah gone through that, "not doing well, no profits", even if the company is making any, they'll also declare loss...

Market is so bad until fresh grads are getting what diploma holders are supposed to get new, and diploma holders are being offered ridiculous pay scales because of that.

The company that I previously quit from without finding a job (yes, it was that sucky) is now looking for a SENIOR software engineer that must know a long list of skills that they are asking for but never use, for how much? A measley $2.2K. Been 5 weeks since I left, good luck to them...

what will u do if u are looking thru' 1 whole file with resumes with Degree and master holder applying for an Engineering Assistant job.

Will be ask them or give them an interview?

therat said:
what will u do if u are looking thru' 1 whole file with resumes with Degree and master holder applying for an Engineering Assistant job.

Get those with relevant working experience.

therat said:

Even if there are PH.D holders approaching for the interviews, the point is that they're over qualified, they'll feel out of place & bored very fast... you can't hire them... it's something good to have of course but there's no way they can feel themselves as just an assistant and just work as per normal...

espn said:
Even if there are PH.D holders approaching for the interviews, the point is that they're over qualified, they'll feel out of place & bored very fast... you can't hire them... it's something good to have of course but there's no way they can feel themselves as just an assistant and just work as per normal...

and sooner or later, they will move if good opportunity arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.