How much do you charge for actual day wedding

How much to do you charge for actual wedding day services?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
when u charge $600, u got alot of competitors.
when u charge $1200, u got competitors.
when u charge $2000, u got some competitors.
when u charge $4000, u are the only few there.

each of its own...
just images burn in cd is about $500 to $800?
with images $700 to $1000?
it really depends....but to get a 'good' client is quite difficult.
Most of them wouldhave overspend on the wedding boutique photography and wedding dinner and when come to actual day wedding photos,they will reach to a point,can save save.......just my cents.;)
unless the presentation of theactual day wedding album is full of graphic and last but not least excellent service and skill,than the price maybe able to increase to 1k plus.....but by than they had overspend and actual day photographers will had to lower they price in certain way......
its always like that:dunno:

Hey Ortega, I think the only way to know the right price is to work out your cost of doing business. If you have done the calculations carefully and you are not losing money on every shoot, then it will be ok. I'm personally not in favor of having a minimum price because it depends on each business and what business model the photographer has adopted. Pushing a photographer to price too high too fast can also destroy the business.

What worries me is when photographers haven't worked out CDB, set up shop and head down the wrong path very quickly and then ends up bankrupt or broke. Bad for the photographer bad for the industry.

Underchargers are present in all markets around the world. I think the only thing we can do is to really focus on our own business and make it the very best we can..and hopefully make some friends along the way and work together to make the industry better, so even if we never make millions to retire, we'll at least have lots of fun along the way. :D
that's like a 2 year old post you just replied..

each of its own...
just images burn in cd is about $500 to $800?
with images $700 to $1000?
it really depends....but to get a 'good' client is quite difficult.
Most of them wouldhave overspend on the wedding boutique photography and wedding dinner and when come to actual day wedding photos,they will reach to a point,can save save.......just my cents.;)
unless the presentation of theactual day wedding album is full of graphic and last but not least excellent service and skill,than the price maybe able to increase to 1k plus.....but by than they had overspend and actual day photographers will had to lower they price in certain way......
its always like that:dunno:

Hi there,

if a wedding is abt $30k to $50k, what is $2k to them?
By saving on photography and videography which can last a lifetime? By charging $600 or $800 u will be phase out.

If there are ppl who think cannot charge higher like $1.2k the lowest, why?

It's all up to individual who wants to improve or not. Wedding is a market whereby improving is is a must.

People who undercharge are mostly hobbyists who just want to earn a little pocket money or offset the costs of their equipment. They're not worried about profit margins because they're not running a business, so no point talking to them about whether it's worth it for them or not. Then there are those who claim XX shop charges $300 for full day photog. But they have to realise that $300 is usually an add-on to an existing wedding package, and many a times, the photography ain't great.

"Overcharging"? I don't believe there is such a thing either. Things are only expensive if you think it's not worth it. And that itself is relative. Therefore, the no. of pics itself, and how much freebies you throw in (and even the standard of your photography) are merely part of the equation. IMHO, PR skills is THE most important thing. If you're merely an average photog that comes across as a genuinely nice person that'll make the couple feel comfortable on that day, you're more than likely to get the job, compared to the talented l*o-l*n-kia.

well said.

singaporean couples do not learn the risk of engaging a photographer who is NOT in the work for a living. heard one couple complain about a first timer guy who messed up in the morning phototaking and then refuse to provide ANY of the photos (even thought the couple don't mind the bad ones).
then there are some couples who simply want the cheapest.

those who are thinking of charging cheap in order to get the opportunity to shoot just for fun, pls think again of the damage you might do to those who do it for a living. don't
sabotage.

well said.

singaporean couples do not learn the risk of engaging a photographer who is NOT in the work for a living. heard one couple complain about a first timer guy who messed up in the morning phototaking and then refuse to provide ANY of the photos (even thought the couple don't mind the bad ones).
then there are some couples who simply want the cheapest.

those who are thinking of charging cheap in order to get the opportunity to shoot just for fun, pls think again of the damage you might do to those who do it for a living. don't
sabotage.

Let's just say there's different market for different people. My target group of couples are those that have power to spend, not so much the money to spend.

Each business has their own target group, I really don't look at it as myself being undercut, because the group of couples that will keep bargaining even up to the day you deliver the photos, is not what I want to work for, because they are not the kind that would appreciate the more artistic and stylistic works.

As for people who charges cheap to shoot or trying to start out a portfolio, go work as a 2nd photographer to some of the pros. Not only will they get a better rates than going solo as a newbie, but they can learn from the pros at the same time.

A lot of photographers don't realise the implications when they fail to deliver the couple's wedding photos; in some cases, the couple can sue the photographer for damages, even though they might have paid like $300 for a whole day shoot. It's never about peanuts = monkeys anymore, and damages that the couple ask for will far exceed the amount that the photographer charged.

Real life example, friend of mine was paid $388.00 to do a full day wedding, the photos for some parts of the ceremony were lost for some reasons. Believe it or not, the couple managed to sue him for damages that amounted to $6k-7k! Things that you could not possibly imagine, like emotional distress (since it cannot be replicated), nothing left to show their children/grandchildren next time, get photographer to compensate part of the banquet, etc, Trust me, a good lawyer will know how to draft the letter of demand. My friend obviously gave up totally on not just wedding, but photography totally.

Want to be a wedding photographer? Please think carefully...

each of its own...

This is true. I have had a wedding couple who placed 55 tables in Oriental hotel at Marina, served expensive wine to guests and they haggled with me over a $100 discount. :sweat:

when u charge $600, u got alot of competitors.
when u charge $1200, u got competitors.
when u charge $2000, u got some competitors.
when u charge $4000, u are the only few there.

what if i do for free? hur hur hur

I think someone needs to start a new poll with a wider range and higher end fees of SGD$8k-9k? :)

Kuang's right about finding and pitching the right fees, which does take a while to fine-tune because how much you price will also determine your target audience.

Pricing low is not the only business strategy, and I'm speaking from personal experience here. When my rates was half of my current rate, my takeup rate was really low - out of every 10 couples I met, only 1-2 signed up. Why? At the range of $900 for a wedding assignment, couples would rather get a $850.00 because it's $50 cheaper than you. Best part is, 9 out of 10 couples whom I met up aren't interested in your portfolio that you place in front of them during the meeting.

Thinking of charging low? Here are some facts to consider and every one of these are based on actual experiences:

1) For clients who are willing to pay $400-500 for wedding, it doesn't mean that their expectations are any lower than those paying $4000-5000. In fact, they would expect you to do everything for you, including shooting their dogs, cats, interior of their new house, everything that you can possibly think of.

2) Don't expect this client group to appreciate artistic /creative work from you. You try experimenting, you'll find that you'll start missing shots and that adds more bargaining chips on your clients table. Trust me, I've got couples who've outrightly told me things like "how come this one so dark?" "Can't see my face, this shot very important and how can you missed it?". They didn't even want that picture as one of their 300 x 4R album. Ironically, the very same shot got me an award 3 years later.

3) Referring to point 2, this would mean that you'll have a lot of difficulty defining your style because you'll have very little room. The first 3 years of my wedding assignments were basically shooting generic looking stuffs, and don't expect such portfolio to be able to command any higher fees. To put it simply, you'll be running around in circles.

But it did take me quite a while to figure out what's the best price to pitch, and my takeup rate now has moved from 20% (in early 2006) to about 80-90% couples who will sign up after meeting up.

Having said these, I'm pretty happy that underchargers are present in the market, because they keep the bargain hunters, and the problems related to them away from me :p
Fully support this view..
Price yourself well and the takeup rate will actually increase..

My takeup rate (based on couples I meet physically) is actually at 120% right now.. cos there are many couples who will sign on and pay online/send cheque even without meeting me.

YEAH... sounds like we need a union to regulate prices!!!!!! so no one undercuts no one!!!!!!

hur hur hur

why do i even love this new member:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :p

YEAH... sounds like we need a union to regulate prices!!!!!! so no one undercuts no one!!!!!!

hur hur hur

why do i even love this new member:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :p

Singaporean is a free market, anyone can undercut all they want.

Same analogy I use all the time, anything that sells, like Pork floss buns and bubble tea, very soon you'll see a whole street selling these at the lowest prices possible to get the business.

Photographers who can command a premium price for wedding photographer are the ones who can create works that no one else can do, or their style is really unique and difficult to replicate.

Wedding couples on the average spend about $40k on a banquet, and $20k on alcohol. They can spend that kind of money because they see why they need to. Likewise, it's up to you to make the couple see why they should spend on wedding photography. I don't consider myself as a marketing person, but many of my clients are taking up wedding albums that cost $3500 or more. To them, the $3500 album has more value than the $40k banquet, which ends up in the sewage the next day.

Fully support this view..
Price yourself well and the takeup rate will actually increase..

My takeup rate (based on couples I meet physically) is actually at 120% right now.. cos there are many couples who will sign on and pay online/send cheque even without meeting me.

Good to hear that business is good for you :)

For myself, I won't let couples sign up with me until I meet them in person, or on Skype for overseas couples. Much as it is important for the couple to be comfortable with their photographer, I need to be comfortable with the clients (for one, I can't stand controls freaks, who probably won't agree with my terms anyway)

I'm glad that I read through the commentary after looking at the price ranges listed. In Canada it is almost unheard of for a pro to do a wedding for less than C$1,000 with the average running between C$2,000 and C$4,000.

With high grade digital cameras becoming more affordable and more people trying to make a living without taking extra expenses into account I have seen a growing number of C$1,000 wedding photographers popping up but many of them seem to go out of business within a year or do it mainly as a hobby.

I like the point that was made about these low end photographers peeling off the bargain hunters (who usually ask for the world in terms of services) leaving customers that are more concerned with just the quality and respect the needs of a professional to work at a sustainable income (pay for an assistant, camera maintenance, advertising, office space, transportation, and food to name a few).

Greetings to all Singaporean Wedding Photographers !

If i may add, i believe there is a responsibility of the Pros to constantly educate the Wedding couples about values and works of the pros, but at the same time educate the industry players ( big-timers or small-timers alike ) about their their own worth and influences in the market place.

Back in 90's where 500 bucks get you 8 rolls worth of 4R prints and album (Standard offerings) , has turned into a pathetic offerings of just 300 buck for the same offers or inclusive of other freebies -- it's like the lower-end market have downslide to such misery that One would wonder if the economic conditions in Singapore is that bad, or are we being invaded by the 'cheap labor's that came from across the causeway or the North, etc., that We can't or the market can't corrected itself out of this downward spiral ? ...

How can the Market be any better if the Pros are keeping mum about their pricing and rates, and there will be always be confusion and pricing mis-match.

If the pros are seriously talking about Improvement in the industry as a whole, one should starts practicing as One preaches or believes in, by making One's rates and pricing Transparent for all, NOT just the interested Clients. So that the newbies or the so-called new entrants will get the drift and starts charging realistically -- that includes Some of the Professionals too.

Mind you, those so-called Pros that are charging at less than S$1,000 for CD deliveries (2007) are putting their career at the tombstones, that has almost etched their names on it. It's time to wakeup, for the economy has recovered and is on the uptrend since 2002. If you don't charged what you are worth for the next 5 years, than you are and will be missing the boat.

The 1st Digital Wave in the "The Digital Golden Age" has ended this year (2007), for those whom have make a killing or fortune are the Ones who ventured between 1997 - 2002. Those who are into the 2nd Wave Digital Revolution (Wedding) between 2002 - 2007, i believe have make it good, and tasted some fortune ( good money ) or fame.

And right now, we are at the beginning and witnessing of the 3rd Digital Wave -- whereby cheap hardware ( pro gears ), higher performance and affordability / accessibilities, will peak this phase for the next 5 years -- meaning the dilution effect, and you will witness the New entrants to the Wedding trades will be in the multiples. I have predicted that there will be an industry shake-out, whereby those who are serving in the low-end market since late 90's or early 2000's will be diminished. While those whom have maintain their leads or leaderships positions since the 1st Wave and 2nd Wave, with large funds and reserved, will not only survive, but prosper in this 3rd Wave -- where intense shake-out in the industry will take place.

From the above experiences and knowledge of the recent pasts, One will know that doing the Low-end market for too long a time, will eventually get you nowhere, but the high risk of obsolescence -- either you fold-up or the market forces pushed you out.

The choice is Yours :thumbsup:

[ There will be the 4th Wave and the last 5th Wave -- But will You Still be there ? :bsmilie: ]

Very interesting thread here, a thread that started more than 2 years ago and still alive 2 years later.

It is very obvious that photographers who undercut or do it totally for free still exists.

What I feel is that it would be more tough to compete with the "low-priced" market than the "high-priced" market. At least you got more reward for the same effort put in (when you compete in the "high-priced" market).

Greetings to all Singaporean Wedding Photographers !

And right now, we are at the beginning and witnessing of the 3rd Digital Wave -- whereby cheap hardware ( pro gears ), higher performance and affordability / accessibilities, will peak this phase for the next 5 years -- meaning the dilution effect, and you will witness the New entrants to the Wedding trades will be in the multiples.

Actually, on the contrary, I think all those new entrants who wanted to be wedding photographers now want to to be real estate agents. :D For awhile, it seemd like half the country wanted to be wedding photographers. Over the last few months, half the country wants to be real estate agents now.

2) Don't expect this client group to appreciate artistic /creative work from you. You try experimenting, you'll find that you'll start missing shots and that adds more bargaining chips on your clients table. Trust me, I've got couples who've outrightly told me things like "how come this one so dark?" "Can't see my face, this shot very important and how can you missed it?". They didn't even want that picture as one of their 300 x 4R album. Ironically, the very same shot got me an award 3 years later.

I agree very much with this. Had a couple who referred his sis to me. Results: The sis complain that some photos are blur etc but checked with the couple, they love the photos and they still recommend people to me. Well, guess it's more of personal preference and taste we talking here.

how true. i really thank some of the pros who taught me how to price properly and when to reject customers.

a close relative of mine wanted to hire me and i told her that i charge $100/hr.
service required was 2 hours. so in total is 2 hours. just CD given at the end.

few days before shoot, she asked me if i can include an album for her, and do some shots of the event company(she got an event company to do her ROM) as portfolio. i told her that the pitures the event company needs to be used have to be charged extra.
she said she can't afford and wants everything at $200 and told me that the event will be of portfolio use to me.

i told her that i really can't do it at $200 for everything and in the end, guess what. she found someone for $200! prolly at least 4 hours of photography! an album! need to do some designs for the event company perhaps! and endless complaints to follow.

an advice i'll like to give the ppl who's starting out(not that i'm any pro or what), is that pricing urself cheaply is really not the way to go. if u price urself cheaply, ur client will really squeeze every cent out of you and, all your referrals will be of that price. don't grumble if all your clients come wanting you to shoot them at $200 for everything cos you brought it upon yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.