How many of u still look back at old photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
szekiat said:
i still like my velvia photos. And the prints from them, cibachromes!!!! no one does them now though...

Cibachrome?
Rich boy....

Belle&Sebastain said:
black more ex, i paid $800. :sweat:
Wah lan eh, now I noe why ppl call the Contax T3 "The World's Most Expensive Point & Shoot Camera". :sweat:

Maybe I'll save the $800 up. :sweat:

I certainly still look at my Powershot S10, G1 digital images, and I think they're great, even if they're 2Mp & 3Mp only. Of course they're not as good as the current ones, and sometimes I would see how I can improve it (digitally or compositionally). I own a 10D and a ixus400 now and think they're both great. Nothing bad abt sub-5Mp digicams. I don't pore over my images at 100% view. I look at my 4R/8R printed pics at normal viewing distance.

Of course, this is only my own view and I don't shoot professionally for clients. YMMV.

Well, me too.

Regardless of what kind of camera it was, it took photos of all our memories anyway right? :D

But sometimes, ever see the CA and the horrible noise on the older digital P&S and wished that it could have been better? :(

Belle&Sebastain said:
to put it simply, the image won me over...

different ppl have diiferent views abt it, my wife dislike it as it's not a digital camera.

but its okie, if the digital P&S is high on your list, please go ahead to get it. you know what is important factor for yourself.

I still love film. For serious and important events I'd still use my SLR loaded with either Reala, Portra or Kodak b&w. No doubt T3 is one fine machine. People who are not photography enthusiasts would probably knock your head for getting an $800 P&S in this digital age.

But for everyday shots of doorknobs, lamposts, a bald guys head, etc I think a P&S digital would be more economical for me. Image quality not so important for such mundane things.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry for turning this into a discussion about equipment and the merits of film over digital.

To go back to the main topic, yes, I do go back and see old photos. I keep a lot of them. I have an album filled with family related stuff and I have an album for other subjects (landscapes, flowers, etc). Since I started becoming serious about taking photos I only place good ones in my albums. Unflattering shots of family members I keep in a box. But for moments where there are no better photos I still put in the album even though they're out of focus and such.

Below is one of the early shots I took of my family with an SLR at an event in Suntec. :)
8461Family_with_McCurry.jpg

Ben1223 said:
I still love film. For serious and important events I'd still use my SLR loaded with either Reala, Portra or Kodak b&w. No doubt T3 is one fine machine. People who are not photography enthusiasts would probably knock your head for getting an $800 P&S in this digital age.

But for everyday shots of doorknobs, lamposts, a bald guys head, etc I think a P&S digital would be more economical for me. Image quality not so important for such mundane things.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry for turning this into a discussion about equipment and the merits of film over digital.

To go back to the main topic, yes, I do go back and see old photos. I keep a lot of them. I have an album filled with family related stuff and I have an album for other subjects (landscapes, flowers, etc). Since I started becoming serious about taking photos I only place good ones in my albums. Unflattering shots of family members I keep in a box. But for moments where there are no better photos I still put in the album even though they're out of focus and such.

Below is one of the early shots I took of my family with an SLR at an event in Suntec. :)
8461Family_with_McCurry.jpg

for a moment i thought you are Steve McCurry

jsbn said:
Wah lan eh, now I noe why ppl call the Contax T3 "The World's Most Expensive Point & Shoot Camera". :sweat:

Maybe I'll save the $800 up. :sweat:

Lecia P&S are much more expensive $1250, $1500 range.

pai said:
yah, i also look at my old pictures now and then. surprising how different it feels even less than one year on... shots that i was happy with when i took them, now i look and i see: blur cos not focused properly or camera shake, colour balance off, horribly noisy, and too much post-processing. :cry:

on the bright side, even if they are badly taken in so many ways, they still bring back many happy (and sad) memories, and in the end, that's what's more valuable to me. i'd rather have all of these ugly shots of family and friends and places i've visited, than one perfect shot of an amazing landscape or model.

and actually, feeling so frustrated about old pictures is a good thing right? cos it shows that we've "upgraded" the most important camera of all, our own eyes. i can only hope that in another year's time i can look at the pictures i'm taking now, and see many many ways they can be improved.

an early happy new year to all!

true, i get the same feeling nevertheless. I still have my early keepers, my first roll of b/w (1995), wow memories!

To be perfectly honest, i like my old photos more than my new ones. I've got tons of fashion stuff, ppl who look at it over here comment that they look like they come off a mag. And i have certainly done a few runway shoots for clients as well. But overall, i find that going freelance/commercial has not benefited my photography. I sometimes look back at my travel photos and wonder where i saw the inspiration back then. These days, when i take travel photos, i junk 3/4 of them when i get back. Mind you its odd since with digital, with instant preview one ought to have more keepers. But i actually treasure my old slides more. They still look better. The only shots that have improved for me is my street stuff that i now almost completely devote my leica to. But thats all B/W

Well, the beauty of travel photos is that, unless u're really rich to go overseas like once every 3 or 6mths, u can recall back the days where u actually saved up so hard, and stuff like dat to go for ur trips.

Of cos, travelling, much as it is affordable now, is still a little out of my reach. Travel photos are something dat I'll never junk unless it is a shot that's totally OOF, absolutely blurred to the point where the foreground is absolutely indistinguishable frm the background. Den again, there's the preview function. And not to mention, my neighbourhood photolab will not process any OOF shots. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.