how long would u keep ur film slr

Status
Not open for further replies.
pol said:
hi guys, we all know tat dslr is going to take over the photography market in d near future. very soon we will see less equipment/film choices for film user. :( will like to find out how long do u intend to keep film slr??

I will keep one SLR for taking slides/bw. This is one area DSLR can come close enough, but never taking over.

The color gamut + colours of slides will win DSLRs anytime.

Even if film ever dies (I hope not), I will keep my F80 for good times sake :)

Time for me to buy a Contax D SLR :D

I still shoot film and I really love film. The way it looks is really different from Digital. I guess digital will still have a long way before it can reach anything similiar.

Nowadays, for most shoots, I just bring both. Capture some on film and some on digital.. Then I have the best of both sides! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Someone mention that film & lens does more of the work than the body, I do agree. I'm using Nikon Fm and FE10, both are manual focus slrs and very fun to use. But this is not to say it's not worth to buy a good AF slr like F100 or F6! The differences in slr body are more towards the functionality like no of frame per sec, fastest shutter speed available like 1/4000sec, etc. :lovegrin:

Where can I buy a Contax D SLR? Who is selling...where to buy...

Honestly, I don't think that digital will take over just that soon yet. Even though cameras and technologies are moving rather fast in the consumer market, a lot of professionals are still using film-based products. In fact, a lot of the commercial photography industry is still on film simply because of the high cost of a digital setup for them.

sold off film body long ago

film is already passe , uncool, obsolete, etc. i never really liked film in the first place hehe

anyone still using sony walkman? or u prefer to use a mp3 player? :cool:

At my age, film will outlast me! So Iwill keep my rangefinder, SLR, and view camera.

pol said:
hi guys, we all know tat dslr is going to take over the photography market in d near future. very soon we will see less equipment/film choices for film user. :( will like to find out how long do u intend to keep film slr??

forrreverrr.

student said:
At my age, film will outlast me! So Iwill keep my rangefinder, SLR, and view camera.

I think my film camera will outlast me, coz I nearly got knocked down by a taxi today while I day dreaming walking on the road :bsmilie:

Nah, Contax D SLR:
-
Con0057.jpg

-
Con0064.jpg

-
:sticktong

user111 said:
anyone still using sony walkman? or u prefer to use a mp3 player? :cool:
i'm still using an awia portable radio receiver that bigger then the current mp3 player, panasonic discman for my cds. and i dun own a flash-based mp3 player yet! how many mp3 players have u change for the past few years...

discman still sound better than mp3, no matter how u encode. it's like how ppl sees vinyl

technology change fast, those who dun wish to chase technology will tend to use older devices that's stable and still works well

I am still keeping the first generation SONY walkman which size is just as big as a radio but it rocks! :D

In a sense, using film gives me the discipline of thinking about how the shot is going to turn out before i click rather than click first and then see how the shot is going to turn out.
This also makes you more technically sound as it leaves you less room for error.
So far, the joy of slides is also unmatched by anything digital has offered.

I have found digital useful though for situations where i want to get an action shot done in a certain way and i shoot a burst of 15 only to keep one. My wallet will cry out if i do that with slides

:)

Whatever give me the kicks, I will use. Certain days, I go back to the film camera which can still thrill me with its output. Lately, it is the film rangefinder - street shoot - click, click here and there, unobtrusive, 'invisible'. On holidays for the past 2 years, mainly digital because I am kiasu - want to make sure what I shoot comes out nicely. Lately, I use the Xpan (bought 2nd hand form ebay) which opens up a new dimension for me. So now, when I travel, I carry both but, whew, heavy lah.

But always, I am concern with composition, lighting, fleeting moments, shadows, camera angles etc.

To each his own then.

Cheers

pol said:

Digital equipment may marginalise film equipment--like what Leica's 35mm format did to the other film format, or what the Japanese SLRs did to Leica's rangefinders.

But in most cases, the original equipments retains their sizeaable niches and will NOT be wiped out.

I'm keeping my film SLR for the forseeable future. It does not fetch much when sold. If a guy can afford a digital SLR, he should be able to afford to keep his old SLR. And I might buy a decent film rangefinder when the price is right.

I'm an amatuer and there will be times when I get bored with shooting in one medium, and like to experiment with another medium--say B&W high speed films, or slides, etc. Having an alternative medium keeps the hobby fresh for me.

And no, film does not force me to think more about composition, and/or other non-photgraphic medium specific skills. Some may believe so, but not I.

Be it digital or film, I still need to think about where I stand, what's the light, how I point my camera, and when to press the shutter.

What I believe is true about film is that, in the right hands and camera, film produces better quality pictures that digital medium cannot never match because of technological limits that are difficult/expensive to overcome.

In untrained hands, the pictures captured by film will still be crap--as millions of photographs before the digital era show.

See, alot of film supporters. Only most of the time they kept quiet, enough demand to create supply but no point banging $ on marketing/R&D for manufacturers. They are concentrating new digital camera, obsolete, market new model, obsolete, new model. So nice to sell to consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.