How effective are Image Stabilising systems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will using the IS/ VR drain the battery??:sweat:

If you keep it on "shoot only" mode (i.e., it'll only activate when you're shooting rather than on non-stop) your drain should be minimal.

Will using the IS/ VR drain the battery??:sweat:

For VR, unfortunately it drains quite abit . Very hard to quantify but i am sure the other Nikon users will agree as well

I am no Canon user but i think IS should not be too different .

Ryan

On Sony/Pentax/Oly it's marginal.

On Sony/Pentax/Oly it's marginal.

for nikon VR, it kicks in the moment you starts to focus. For olympus IS (probably for all other in-body IS), it kicks in only just before the frame is taken I think.

As you can see, the time when VR is activated is MUCH MUCH longer than in-body IS. The good thing about that is of course, your viewfinder also gets stabilized during focusing :)

hahah yep yep. thanks. No worries I'm already very clear about how the IS works, but I seriously don't know how people can get confused over it.

When I said shooting from a boat, I meant i will be on a boat, and shooting people doing a sport i.e. wakeboarding. since the boat isn't going to stay still most of the time, and the use of a tripod is virtually impossible (tried and tested.), the only option is handheld shots and that's where IS will come in really really handy. Especially when doing sun-down sets where lighting gets really poor. :)

Hey guys,

There is a point I need to highlight. If you are taking a shot of someone or something that is within the moving system, i.e. you are on the boat/car/bus/vehicle and taking something inside the boat/car/bus/vehicle, turn off the VR. You should know why by now. The VR will compensate for the movement or "relative movement" of you to mother Earth rather than your hand movements and induce blurring.

Only use VR when you are taking a subject outside the moving system like something out of the window.

Hey guys,

There is a point I need to highlight. If you are taking a shot of someone or something that is within the moving system, i.e. you are on the boat/car/bus/vehicle and taking something inside the boat/car/bus/vehicle, turn off the VR. You should know why by now. The VR will compensate for the movement or "relative movement" of you to mother Earth rather than your hand movements and induce blurring.

Only use VR when you are taking a subject outside the moving system like something out of the window.

it'll be quite funny to see someone trying to wakeboard INSIDE the boat. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.