How do you find out the limits of a camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look through the net for abit... I believe TS has a RX100 and let see what other people had done.

Sports
_DSC0452-900-100.JPG

Night
_2999905_orig.jpg

Lowlight

228.jpg

Funny... how come others was able to do it while TS is constantly questioning the limit of his hardware, rather than questioning the limits of his own skills.

1) What camera you have. Those cameras are good enough. Bring a tripod. (Sirui, Benro, Gitzo, Manfrotto, etc) is good. 2) Bring a monopod for the camera you have, if lighting is abundance, then no need to bring anything, just your camera. And of course, you would ignore this comment, because you are bend on saying your camera is not good enough for you. So for the record... buy a D4s or a 1DX.

Just like what bro rhino123 mentioned above.

Basically Soulblade88, you need to understand the fundamentals like how some of the guys here have advised.

Theres alot of tutorial, books, ebooks etc.
All you need is to find and of course hardwork to go out there and try.

If you think your camera is not good enough, go get the most high end models...
While mentioning about long exposures, even an iPhone with few apps out there can even take it, so I dont think your camera can be that bad....

::idunoe::

Well you could really put the argument to bed by renting a "top end" camera. It'll give you hands on experience and you can finally tell for sure how much you are being limited by your current equipment.

How do you tell if your cam has reached it's limit? When you require settings or functions that your camera doesn't have, that's when you need to upgrade. Pretty straightforward I feel.

For me, I moved from 650 to 6d cos I wanted better low light performance and a full frame. And my lens upgrade path from 50 1.8 to Tamron 24/70vc to canon 70-200 2.8isii was based on need for faster glass and sharper images and better reach.

So again ask yourself what you need.

Cheers and good luck in your quest!

PS : when I read your threads And posts I get this weird feeling that you are some sort of a master photographer who is simply out to test the civilities and patience of the Clubsnap members. And after doing so, you will reward the most patient and consistently nurturing respondent with some special mentorship. Anyways, in line with a little humour-
How to find the limits? Look for the asymptotes of a tangent graph.

Cheers!

Reactions: thoongeng
TS has just explained why manufacturers like Canon & Nikon make system cameras for professionals. So each can fit it to their different needs.

PS : when I read your threads And posts I get this weird feeling that you are some sort of a master photographer who is simply out to test the civilities and patience of the Clubsnap members. And after doing so, you will reward the most patient and consistently nurturing respondent with some special mentorship. Anyways, in line with a little humour-
How to find the limits? Look for the asymptotes of a tangent graph.

This makes a lot of sense to me somewhat!

A good photographer takes better pictures with a phone than an amateur with a Dslr.

Forget iso, shutter speed, aperture, hdr etc.

Put your Rx100 to auto mode and learn composition first.
Just go & Google 'photography composition rules' and practice till it becomes 2nd nature.

Not every photo needs to be good, even pros take a few photos from different angles n lighting then choose that 1 to showcase.

Continuing my post...
As you shoot in auto, you'll realize the constrains of it:
Why is my subject blur?
Why is my picture so noisy?
Why does my flash keeps popping up?
Why is my subject so dark but background so bright?
Etc...
Only then learn how to use manual to override to get what you want.

Last edited:
But with such a low light source since it's in a jungle with no street lamps how would lower end cameras have enough light to take the shot even with long exposure.

I using canon 500d. It's at least 4 years old. Entry level and low end.

I can take nice non noisy night shot with a tripod and longer exposure time. My tripod is a battered generic one I received as a gift.

Can stand means can shoot. I'm using old lenses. 1959 production year. Still sharp.

No need everything top end. More of knowing what you're doing.

I am surprised you do not mention tripod. Maybe you don't have one or don't believe in one

I am surprised you do not mention tripod. Maybe you don't have one or don't believe in one

I too think that TS does not believe in using and owning a tripod

I too think that TS does not believe in using and owning a tripod
Sounds like Ken Rockwell and his praise for the image stabilizer in lenses.

Imagine this scene. You are on top of a hill covered with forest at night. From the highest point you can see miles of trees from every direction. Since this is a jungle there aren't any street lamps maybe light from the moon and the stars. What sort of camera would you use and what sort of lens to get a clear shot. HP camera is out, pocket size digicam is out. Low range DSLR probably out. What do you think?

Here's another scene.

You are watching a football game in a stadium. You are seated in the middle so you aren't too far away and you are not too near so you have some height to see the entire field. You want to take some pictures of the players while playing the game and of course they must not be blur. What sort of camera do you use? HP cam? pocket digicam?

I noticed that there isn't a guide to teach ppl what to expect with their gear and What scene can they expect a nice picture. I know it's kind of subjective because some of you will be going if they take with their ipad and they like it it's good enough which isn't the point at all. The point is more like this guy thought his ipad is good enough to take the picture but found out through his own experience it isn't.

Anyway i discovered there really isn't info on which gear to use for which scene.

Get a photography basic book or e-book, it's all in there.
Usually the first few chapters are equipment related.
Unfortunately, there are many who thinks otherwise. :)

Imagine this scene. You are on top of a hill covered with forest at night. From the highest point you can see miles of trees from every direction. Since this is a jungle there aren't any street lamps maybe light from the moon and the stars. What sort of camera would you use and what sort of lens to get a clear shot. HP camera is out, pocket size digicam is out. Low range DSLR probably out. What do you think? Here's another scene. You are watching a football game in a stadium. You are seated in the middle so you aren't too far away and you are not too near so you have some height to see the entire field. You want to take some pictures of the players while playing the game and of course they must not be blur. What sort of camera do you use? HP cam? pocket digicam? I noticed that there isn't a guide to teach ppl what to expect with their gear and What scene can they expect a nice picture. I know it's kind of subjective because some of you will be going if they take with their ipad and they like it it's good enough which isn't the point at all. The point is more like this guy thought his ipad is good enough to take the picture but found out through his own experience it isn't. Anyway i discovered there really isn't info on which gear to use for which scene.
how about I tell u the Aperture, shutter speed,ISO, white balance and picture style to use So that u don't have to learn and can start shooting like a programmed robot?

And also these scenarios are not the right way to test the limits of a camera.

Last edited:
Imagine this scene. You are on top of a hill covered with forest at night. From the highest point you can see miles of trees from every direction. Since this is a jungle there aren't any street lamps maybe light from the moon and the stars. What sort of camera would you use and what sort of lens to get a clear shot. HP camera is out, pocket size digicam is out. Low range DSLR probably out. What do you think?

Here's another scene.

You are watching a football game in a stadium. You are seated in the middle so you aren't too far away and you are not too near so you have some height to see the entire field. You want to take some pictures of the players while playing the game and of course they must not be blur. What sort of camera do you use? HP cam? pocket digicam?

I noticed that there isn't a guide to teach ppl what to expect with their gear and What scene can they expect a nice picture. I know it's kind of subjective because some of you will be going if they take with their ipad and they like it it's good enough which isn't the point at all. The point is more like this guy thought his ipad is good enough to take the picture but found out through his own experience it isn't.

Anyway i discovered there really isn't info on which gear to use for which scene.

for ur first case.. not really. u need a tripod.. unless u want to take night shots at around iso 6400+. any DSLR (bulb mode) + tripod will do for this. lens wise (even kit lens also can do it).

2nd case depends on how close up you want. any dslr with a tele will do (200mm+), blur or not really depends on your technique and/or knowledge of photography (like reciprocal rule). give you a 500mm f4 lens but you shoot it at shutter speed of 1/5, there will be some form of blur lol . Of course, best is have OS (optical stabilisation), if not , you will have to count on your technique and steady hands, with monopod if possible.

long time ago, i tried shooting youth olympics from far away (70-200 f2.8), and cropping in.. it worked reasonably well , yea but some people have different requirements on what is "good".

Look through the net for abit... I believe TS has a RX100 and let see what other people had done.

Sports

Night

Lowlight

Funny... how come others was able to do it while TS is constantly questioning the limit of his hardware, rather than questioning the limits of his own skills.

He's a newbie mah.

Probably he thinks cheap camera cannot achieve his questions

Think it's time to close the thread here ?
:)

Think it's time to close the thread here ?
:)

I think it is. TS is not responding, but there is more than enough info here to show that the person behind the camera matter the most.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.