How do you dispose of your batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can accumulate all your used/flat batteries, then when you need to go Ikea to get stuffs, can bring along the batteries and pass it to the used batteries booth mei mei.
I am not even once a year go to IKEA... :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Use only rechargables. When the lifespan is up, trade them in for new batteries. ;)

I looked for info on this a while ago, have some lithium batteries(supposed to be more "lethal") to dispose of. My impression is that battery recycling is not "economical", i.e. big capital investment gets little returns. So only done in US and European countries.:(

I admit I am one of those users who use a lot of alkalines and used to go to Ikea to dispose of them. But it seems that the bin for battery disposal has disappeared there and I typically pass the batteries to the person at the counter - not sure how they dispose of it. Going to try Nokia next time. I think the garment doesnt have the stamina to continue supporting green activities.

Reviving an old thread here. I have a gathered a small collection of Eveready, Energisers, etc that I want to dispose of, just wondering if anyone knows of any battery recycling bins that I could put them in? If I can still dispose of them at Ikea Bukit Merah I wouldn't mind going there....

I wrote to NEA to ask about battery disposal, and I actually got a reply within 2 hours, even on a Saturday! Kudos to them for that.....

For those interested, here's the reply:
With regard to your queryhousehold batteries can be dispose as other household waste.

Our concerns with the disposal of household batteries are mainly in the mercury content of batteries. Since 1992 Singapore has banned the sale of mercury oxide batteries zinc carbon batteries containing more than 0.001% by weight of mercury per battery and alkaline batteries containing more than 0.025% by weight of mercury per battery.

We do not have separate collection and disposal for batteries except for batteries used by vehicles and industries.The vehicle and industry batteries contain lead and are therefore harmful. Lead acid batteries are collected separately by licensed toxic waste collectors and recycled at overseas facilities. For consumer batterieswe can avoid the collection and disposal problems as we have already controlled the types of consumer batteries allowed to be sold. Hence consumer batteries are disposed of together with other wastes at the incineration plants.

You may wish to note that recycling bins available at the Nokia Care Centres are meant for old or used mobile phonesand mobile phone accessories and batteries. They don't collect household batteries.

Please call me or email Contact_NEA@nea.gov.sg if I can be of further service.

Thank you for your time and interest.

I wrote to NEA to ask about battery disposal, and I actually got a reply within 2 hours, even on a Saturday! Kudos to them for that.....

For those interested, here's the reply:

Ah should have thought about that.

You can actually just toss them in the bin. Should be fine as there are no toxic fumes.

Uhm, If I remember, I think challenger got collect. Or is that printer cartridges. I think its printer cartridges. =x

Status
Not open for further replies.