How close and a Canon G2 go to and other questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

I'm very new to digital as I've been using film SLR for a couple of years so hope all you digital gurus could kindly help me here!

I'm eyeing on the Canon G2. I do like macro and close up shots. Been shooting with my 100mm macro lens and thot of going digital as I find I waste a lot of slides! Also like other features of digital like immediate viewing.

So I would like to know how close can it go when set to 102mm focal length? If I remember correctly from the brochure, it's something like 20cm in macro mode? But I do have an impression for close ups, pple tend to use the wide end and go as close as 5cm. Why is this so? Will it cast shadow on the subject?

Is there a shutter lag in the G2? If so, roughly how long?

Ok here's a 'weird' question. Besides the ISO rating and resolution of image, if a photographer is interested mainly in the focal length of 35-100mm, does it mean it's more economical to get a G2 than a digital SLR like the D30 or D60?

I know there are many questions and they may sound idiotically simple to some of you but hope you all could be patient with me. Thanks very much!!

i think i would like to answer your macro question only.. hehe

mmm nikon camara's are better at macro.. the Nikon 5000, 995 i know are. The macro capablity is ard 6cm maybe can steal a few more milimeters.

u can always buy close up lenses and all but if you just want the camare, nikon rules!

do a check with isomers. her dynax (not sure which one she owns can handle marco quite well, but i guess its just like the G2)

of cos if u are really into macro photography....

there's a thread about macro photography here with a link. to this insane looking piece of macro equipment.

basically i have a g2. havnt gone to very macro-nised photography. only very close up :)

Originally posted by quackaroo

mmm nikon camara's are better at macro.. the Nikon 5000, 995 i know are. The macro capablity is ard 6cm maybe can steal a few more milimeters.

u can always buy close up lenses and all but if you just want the camare, nikon rules!

do a check with isomers. her dynax (not sure which one she owns can handle marco quite well, but i guess its just like the G2)

using the dimage5 here...it shoots macro quite well wif de macro mode on...but if you wanna go further, then there's always closeup filters or be like megaweb...he uses 250D on his pro90 and you can get really close....

also agree wif quackaroo...if you dun want to buy all those closeup, lens, etc, etc...personally, i think dat de cp995 works gr8 for macro shooting...

Hi David,

I've done macros on the G2 and with a Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 on a film SLR, and I can tell you that you will definitely feel the limitation of the consumer DCs especially you've used a macro lens on an SLR before.

On the contrarary of what you said, I actually use the tele end of the G2 most of the time for macro, as it gives me slightly longer working distance (which is desperately needed especially when you mount a +4 closeup filter onto the G2). G2's macro magnification witout any add on is not really great, and I do find myself using the closeup filters most of the time.

For your case, if budget is not a big concern, I guess the best option for you is to get a DSLR since you already have a collection of lenses. From your description I think you are probably using a Canon system, so either a used D30 or a new D60 would be better choice for you then the G2. Or another cheaper option would be to consider the Pro90IS. Megaweb had produced a lot of great macro shots with the Pro90.

Hope that helps. :)

Originally posted by quackaroo

of cos if u are really into macro photography....

there's a thread about macro photography here with a link. to this insane looking piece of macro equipment.

basically i have a g2. havnt gone to very macro-nised photography. only very close up :)

Nikon Coolpixes can do as close as 2cm. One of the best digicams if you are heavily into macros.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.