Hi There - Can any recommend a Beginner Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it very misleading to say that the Nikon D60 can only manual focus? It DOES auto-focus with AFS (Nikon) and HSM (Sigma) lenses, among other brands like Tamron and Tokina, you know? Besides, the AFS 18-55 and AFS 55-200 should be good enough for a beginner, isn't it? That is, of course, TS intends to consider Nikon camp.

Yea,

The AF motor is really a big confusion to many. Most beginners keep getting the wrong idea of having no AF. It's just that the BODY has no in-built AF motor and therefore only rely on the lenses. Nikon is just trying to make things complicated? :think:

Cowz.

ok Guys, yesterday I dropped by the shops, after testing a few (though I pretent I know a lot keke), some how I found to like Nikon. But kind of ex to get new ones. Was thinking to get a second hand Nikon D70? Any f/b on D70? Roughly what's the price range for just teh body alonge (those w/o warranty)? Say about 1.5 to 2 yrs old?

Thanks again for all the advises. :)

You can check the Personal Classified section, think I saw a couple D70s there.

But a thing to take note when you are trying to get a feel of roughly what a reasonable price to buy the cam at, is to checking the threads that have been transacted and closed, not those that are still open. Cos there a lot of ppl "testing" water and put high prices, especially those that are not urgent to sell. Try not to be faked out by them.

Also its good to take note of what freebies they're including, then you can add or minus off these items from ur base price.

When i was buying my 450D i actually had an excel spread sheet with all the prices and freebies offered by different sellers haha.. i'm quite a maths person heh..

But a thing to take note when you are trying to get a feel of roughly what a reasonable price to buy the cam at, is to checking the threads that have been transacted and closed, not those that are still open. Cos there a lot of ppl "testing" water and put high prices, especially those that are not urgent to sell. Try not to be faked out by them.

Also its good to take note of what freebies they're including, then you can add or minus off these items from ur base price.

When i was buying my 450D i actually had an excel spread sheet with all the prices and freebies offered by different sellers haha.. i'm quite a maths person heh..

Wah? Financial planning for the DSLR? :D Agreed, the classified isn't really a good source of getting 2nd hand stuff. I almost bought a Olympus OM lens (Film) without the rubber grip of the focus ring :bigeyes: Which means you have to turn the metal ring itself. Lucky thing i discovered it before agreeding to purchase :O

I think that is a good thing to do especially if you are not familiar and new to photography. A lot of things can confuse you especially the lenses.

I would suggest read up more before deciding.

Good luck bro!

I think that is a good thing to do especially if you are not familiar and new to photography. A lot of things can confuse you especially the lenses.

I would suggest read up more before deciding.

Good luck bro!

Don't forget to also check out the shops and try out the cameras before purchasing. See which one feels more comfortable.

Cowz.

Thanks to all Bros advises. You guys are really helpful. I have got myself a used Nikon D70 and Nikon 18-135mm (lens kit for D80). Quite happy with it. Both sellers are also very helpful and reasonable.

Yap agreed that I need to do my homework and maths first. The buying from online is like buying from real world. We have all kinds of pple, good ones, reasonable and kind ones, and the bad ones... it all depends on luck bah.... and I guess I'm really lucky to have met the nice chaps that sold me their used cam & lens. One of them even teached me how to check the cams and advise on reasonable prices for lens...

I did came across used D70 body for $5XX. I got mine used D70 body for less than $3XX. Almost $200 different. Cold Sweat...

Last edited:
Hey,

Glad that you got ur cam bro. Hope you enjoy it. Make sure to take good care of it. Store it in a dry box when not in use. Be sure to clean/wipe ur lenses and body often. And most importantly have fun in photography, make sure you enjoy the shot :)

Cowz.

Pentax is a good choice
The old glass are at affordable prices.
On body SR, dust removal, compatibility to old lenses (some legendary), build quality, value for money

Pentax is a good choice
The old glass are at affordable prices.
On body SR, dust removal, compatibility to old lenses (some legendary), build quality, value for money

Bro, what spec for pentax fits D70? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.