Hi-fi recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
photobum said:
Go to Adelphi and checkout those "pythons" (speaker cables). Some of these cables cost as much as a branded luxury Italian sofa set.

Then, go check out the turntables (record players). Some of these cost as much as a 1.6L Japanese car with COE.

After that, go check out the speakers. Some of these cost as much as a 2.4L Toyota Camry with COE!

Eh .. don't scare the guy leh :sweat: ... i also spent an obscene amount on cables already.

Using XLO Pro cables / Canare interconnects / Cable Talk speaker cables / Monster Interconnects / Van Dun Hul speaker cables....

dEthANGeL said:
Eh .. don't scare the guy leh :sweat: ... i also spent an obscene amount on cables already.

Using XLO Pro cables / Canare interconnects / Cable Talk speaker cables / Monster Interconnects / Van Dun Hul speaker cables....

I use:
  • 3 pairs Straightwire Maestro interconnects cables with WBT connectors (Preamp > Power amp, DAC > Preamp, Tuner > Preamp)
  • XLO digital cables with WBT connectors
  • 2 pairs of Kimble Kable 8TC speaker cables (shotgun X2 running +ve) and,
  • 2 pairs of Monster Cable M1 speaker cables (running -ve) terminated with Cardas Rhodium spades
  • Tice Power Conditioners
  • 5 XLO power cables with hospital grade plugs
  • Acoustic Energy 1 speakers (replaced with Cardas wirings and WBT connectors) and Hsu Research subwoofer (It goes all the way down to 8hz, ROCKS!)
  • Theta Gen 4 DAC
  • Theta LD transport
  • Pioneer SACD DVD transport
  • Harman Kardon FM/AM Tuner
  • China-made isolating transformers (220v to 220v)
  • Krell pre/power amps
From my setup, you probably already know I love music with punch.

AHHHHHHH Krells... OMG :sweat: :bigeyes:

Scary sh!t ...

Yea i can tell you're damn serious but this setup will last you a life time.

For me, i prefer a 2.0 approach, (HT i'm using a SVS) ... don't like my sound to be coloured and neutral sounding, hence using a pair of studio monitors - Spirit Absolute Zero mounted on sand filled Atacama 24" stands on spikes.

AMC CD6b as transport ... still looking for the tube upgrade and my ultimate goal - Eletrocompaniet EMC-1 or EMC-2 ... digital recording source a Sony MD Deck ...

Tuner, a Denon TU1800DAB tuner ... (DAB rocks!) ...an Adcom preamp and a Samson poweramp (those rack mount PA usage) overall, the system handles all types of material, be it pop/rock/jazz/dance with great ease.

I'm still contemplating whether to purchase a voltage line conditioner... does it really make a difference? I'm contemplating to also change my electrical cabling....

dEthANGeL said:
:bsmilie: ... but i do agree with artosoft.

Headphones wise - it depends on what type of sound you want:

Neutral / bassy / clarity ....

It all depends on the individual.

Neutral headphones - Grado SR-60 / SR-80 (Seriously, nothing comes close and this pair rocks!) priced around $130-160 .. can't remember

Bassy - my best companion over 3+ years - Sony MDR-V300. RRP of $80-90 / Bought mine around $70 after haggling. - Has survived my events/sound monitoring usage, walkman, hifi ...

Earphones - Shure E2C / E3C Definite :thumbsup: ... but kinda hate this type of in-ear designs ... especially those people with "wet ear canals" yuck ... :bsmilie:

You need to listen to more headphones.. ;)

Most neutral headphones: Joseph Grado HP1000 series HP1/ HP2/ HP3 followed closely by Grado Reference Series RS-1 or AKG K-1000's (technically not headphones)
Price: ~US$900 - US$1.7k (out of production, price varies on model, condition & packaging), S$1.2k (available locally), S$900+ - $1.2k (depends on whether you have the right contacts) repectively.

Bassy: Try Beyer Dynamics DT-770.. Actually more boomy and yet not that muddy.. Good for the general bassheads

Earphones: Sony MDR-E888LP/ MP/ SP (slightly more dark sounding), Senn. MX500 (bright), Etymotics Research ER-4P/ S (In-canal modules, good isolation; kiss goodbye to ah sohs screaming their life story over the HP on the bus/ mrt)

Best interconnects I've heard ever: Kimber Selects KS-1030's followed closely by KS-1020's and Aural Symphonics AS-one (XLR cables re-terminated with Eichmann bullet plugs)
Price: Used to be $1.34k/ 1m pair, distributor just raised price to $2k citing "increased costs", used to be ~S$900/ 1m pair, currently hovering close to S$1.4k and S$1k+ (AS-one replaced by other newer versions now) respectively

Contary to popular belief, head-fi at it's zenith isn't very affordable. A setup consisting of either a top-of-the-line commercial or custom designed & built diy headphone amplifier, a pair of the above listed reference headphones, a pair of the above listed interconnects, good powerstrip/ filter, decent snakes (power cords) & reference series CD player or well-modified CD player will easily cost anywhere from S$6k to S$10k depending on the configuration.

dEthANGeL said:
AHHHHHHH Krells... OMG :sweat: :bigeyes:

Scary sh!t ...

Aiyah..... I bought my Krells 2nd hand from a rich audiophile friend. Very reasonable price. ;)

In fact, 3/4 of my setup are bought used. Some of the cables are given to me free!

When you don't compare, the Onkyos and Denon are good......but when you compare with those real separates (those entry level ones cost at least S$1k +++), you'll know the difference.....:yes:

Haha...i think i'm asking the wrong group of pple...SHOULDN'T have asked for audiophiles...:bsmilie:

I'm just looking for a sub $300 mini-hifi, that can play cd, mp3 and radio...sound decent, ez to operate.

Keke..and i'm getting responses to buy cables tat cost a price of a car!!! :hung:

Tks for the responses guys, but i think this is way overkill for me. :p

phantasia said:
Haha...i think i'm asking the wrong group of pple...SHOULDN'T have asked for audiophiles...:bsmilie:

I'm just looking for a sub $300 mini-hifi, that can play cd, mp3 and radio...sound decent, ez to operate.

Keke..and i'm getting responses to buy cables tat cost a price of a car!!! :hung:

u should hav stated ur budget upfront so others can recommend accordingly arh...

w/ $300 i think i should go alittle unconventional setup - Klipsh 2.0 speakers at $200 & jus plug ur MP3 reciever or portable CD player.

Stanly said:
When you don't compare, the Onkyos and Denon are good......but when you compare with those real separates (those entry level ones cost at least S$1k +++), you'll know the difference.....:yes:

d Onkyos, JVC (Woodcone) & Denons r v competent micros under $800.

d diff between real seperates vs micro is d $$! :devil:

phantasia said:

Aiya .... Denon M-33. Enough said.

You're not asking the wrong group.

dEthANGeL said:
Aiya .... Denon M-33. Enough said.

You're not asking the wrong group.

Wah the denon one no speakers already almost $800 :O

Any idea of the price of the JVC EX-A1? Looks quite nice leh..

Some of those Altec Lansing satellite speakers I saw at the PC Show 2006 are quite good (IMHO, better than those JVC "sake-infused" wood cone speakers). All you need is a MP3 player to complete your setup.

I still love my old Altec Lansing ACS-48's I wanted to audition thier THX certified 2.1 system...any one saw/heard/own thier MX5021 system?

raptor84 said:
I still love my old Altec Lansing ACS-48's I wanted to audition thier THX certified 2.1 system...any one saw/heard/own thier MX5021 system?

I have one in front of me right now..... What do you want to know? ;)

One thing I must say is that the MX5021 is not as powerful, or as clean as my AE1 and Hsu Research setup though, but hell of a steal for its price (for less than 1/5 of my Straightwire Maestro interconnect cables).

photobum said:
I have one in front of me right now..... What do you want to know? ;)

I listen to a wide range of music but mainly film scores ( Hans Zimmer is my fav composer) and instrumental types. I do not need heavy bass but I can forigve my altec's losse rumbly bass. I also listen to new age music which can be demanding on the trebles and they need to be clear.

I know its capable of being LOUD but how much before it cracks? How do you find it so far and how long was your burn-in? My ACS 48 was very sharp initally but after 5+ years its well aged with a mature sound:bsmilie:

raptor84 said:
I know its capable of being LOUD but how much before it cracks? How do you find it so far and how long was your burn-in? My ACS 48 was very sharp initally but after 5+ years its well aged with a mature sound:bsmilie:

I don't play my speakers loud, regardless of whether hi-end or low-end. So I don't know how LOUD it will go.

I bought mine about three months ago, and to be frank, I don't have the time to play it very often. However, just to answer part of your question, it DOES sound better now as compared to when I first got them.

All I can say is this is the best sounding computer speakers in the market now. I have tested almost all known brands before I decided to purchase it.

photobum said:
I don't play my speakers loud, regardless of whether hi-end or low-end. So I don't know how LOUD it will go.

I bought mine about three months ago, and to be frank, I don't have the time to play it very often. However, just to answer part of your question, it DOES sound better now as compared to when I first got them.

All I can say is this is the best sounding computer speakers in the market now. I have tested almost all known brands before I decided to purchase it.

Next question...where did you buy it and how much was it. I sense BBB virus infection.....

raptor84 said:
Next question...where did you buy it and how much was it. I sense BBB virus infection.....

I bought it from Challenger at Funan for $229. The recent PC Show was selling it for $199. :angry:

Hmm ok.. will buy it if i have cash left over hehe.. must save up cuase my DLSR is mroe important now... any chance to audition :bsmilie:

raptor84 said:
Hmm ok.. will buy it if i have cash left over hehe.. must save up cuase my DLSR is mroe important now... any chance to audition :bsmilie:

Go to Challenger at Funan. They even allow you to test with your own CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.