Hi all Finally saved up , Which SLR shld i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kho King said:
If u plan to expand your system and get serious in photography, I would suggest u choose only Nikon or Canon. Not saying that Minolta are inferior, just that not so popular and you will have hard time finding 2nd hand items/lens/accessories for it. Buying new isn't cheap.

With S$400 budget, I suggest u look in the 2nd hand market. You must take into consideration that u need some spare cash for a lens after u got a body.

Photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby...

It would be made more expensive if you buy Nikon and Canon .... :D

I think buying new for Minolta seems to be cheaper then buying 2nd Handed L lens for Canon ...... and Nikon seems to be more expensive then Canon ....

Just my 2 cents though ......

ST1100 said:
Hi Shien, not to insult your intelligence, but did you catch justarius' question?

The bodies you are asking about are EF mount bodies; if your grandfather's lenses are pre-1986 Canons, they would be FD mounts. Original FD-EOS convertors are rare and expensive, region of US$400, even if you can find them.

Hi ST1100, not to insult your intelligence, but if you read the thread carefully, Shien's Grandfather seems to be having Screw mount lenses, and not even FD .......

i dont know abt FD EF all these. appreciate your help. thanks . will look into a canon eos3x or a Nikon f80

hi ive narrowed my choices down to an eos 300 and a eos 500n both avg price around 400-450 each. any feedback?

How do the above 2 compare with a Nikon F60 and f50 .

im planning to take nature and wildlife photos and a lot of night shots without flash.

Shien said:
hi ive narrowed my choices down to an eos 300 and a eos 500n both avg price around 400-450 each. any feedback?

im planning to take nature and wildlife photos and a lot of night shots without flash.

I would skip the EOS 300 and 500 if I were you. No experience with F60 or F50. .... however, I suggest you take a look at this site and make a decision for yourself. All of us will have our own opinion that is atune towards our preferred cameras..... by the way, for what you want to take, I suggest you look for very very good lens, those that can open up to at least f/2.8

http://www.cmpsolv.com/cgi-bin/output.cgi?Output=camera&Text=1

hi thanks for the suggestions . what about comparing all those above with minolta Dynax 5 and a Canon EOS50 QD .?

Shien said:

some points for you to note:

1) any new SLR you get won't be able to use your grandfather lens.

2) what's your starting budget for the 'nature, wildlife and night shots without flash?

3) if limited budget at $450, which (nature, wildlife and night shots w/o flash) is more important to you?

blurblock said:
Hi ST1100, not to insult your intelligence, but if you read the thread carefully, Shien's Grandfather seems to be having Screw mount lenses, and not even FD .......

Oops. K, missed the fujica bit.

I 2nd EOS 50 ... somewhat like EOS 30 and much cheaper esp on the 2nd hand market.

Try to search around CS. Think you can get a decent lens + EOS 50 below $500

yea saw someone selling it here thats why i saked. the reviews on websites also quite excellent . think i shld be getting that

Shien, why don't you consider not spending any money and just use your grandfather's Fujica ST801 and his range of lenses? The Fujica should come with a Fujinon 55mm EBC f1.8 and that is a pretty sharp lens.

All you need is an autoflash like a Metz 32Z1 and you are good to go.

i would suggest either a Minolta Dynax 505si or a Dynax 60. They're really value for money, giving you mid-level features (those you will need, not those you will use once in three-four years) at prices that are far cheaper than canon or nikon bodies.

lens-wise, minolta lenses might be harder to find but you can be sure of their quality. since you can't use the old lenses you have with modern bodies anyway, so why not consider a switch of system?

of course, i'm biased because i own a 505si but i'm sure others will support my opinion.

The EOS-50 is a very capable camera. I used it for a long time before upgrading. The last time I checked there were no less than 12 EOS-50's sitting in the window of camera workshop (a second hand camera dealer in case you haven't been there). They are available cheap these days, around $250++. The usual precautions apply when buying. Open the back and make sure the shutter is not damaged, make sure there are no dents, dings and ugly bangs on the body (indicates very rough use), etc.

You may want to start off with a cheap 50mm f/1.8 which is a superb lens. If you want a zoom I'd recommend the 28-105/3.5-4.5USM which has flooded the market these days, and available for as little as $200-220. This is enough to get you started.

hi thanks for the help. got my EOS-50 With vertical Grip and A Canon EF 28-90mm 1:4-5.6 II lens . 350 total . hope to put it to some good use :)

Shien said:
hi thanks for the help. got my EOS-50 With vertical Grip and A Canon EF 28-90mm 1:4-5.6 II lens . 350 total . hope to put it to some good use :)

wow nice system, i am sure you can put it to good use.

thanks, really looking forward to

if it ain't a black/sliver body with a big red dot bearing the engravement of a 5 letter worded brand starting with L, don't buy it ;)

Shien said:

Great... learn the camera and its characteristics and it will serve u well for a long time... the EOS 50 is not a simple entry level camera so there's lots there.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.