Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one better, was suppose to return to my camp in Sembawang during reservist after night off. Planned to share a cab with my buddies from Jurong East MRT to camp.

Hailed a Taxi and driver say not sure how to go. We said nevermind, we guide you. Reluctanly he agreed and we move off. Instead of going PIE he went to AYE at Jurong Town Hall. We pointed out his mistake but he say , "Nevermind, I drive faster OK?". Then he supposed to exit at Clementi AVe 6 and go towards PIE. He missed it and my buddies already furious with him. His excuse to go exit AYE to CTE is faster, we kept quite (no use arguing and we left 30 mins before our night off pass expires at 10pm) and move on.

We end up paying more and got extra duty for booking in late by 10 mins. Imagine we started meeting at 9pm, intend to take Taxi at the shortest route via PIE -> BKE -> Woodlands -> Sembawang end up on a joy ride which we wish not to.

My buddy wanted to bash the driver, he some sort of a gangster type, but we restrained him. Lucky for the driver.........:sticktong

I am wondering if there is any way to make a report against such drivers. I have personally had the experience of a driver who purposely took a longer route and a wrong turn, all in the same journey.

interestingly I think all the female drivers are very polite and nice :)

And actually not all taxi drivers are lousy, some are lousy and some are very polite and good.

I haven't been taking cabs for sometime but had to in the recent months due to tight schedules and was quite surprised by the service standards of some of the cabbies (I know a lot of people will beg to differ but I just speak from my own experiences). Like when I went in they would greet and very politely ask where I want to go. The courtesy accorded was a bit discomforting in a way cos is like in the past you only see them according such politeness to tourists (westerners?).

I recall an occasion where I was coughing very very badly and the uncle actually offered me his nin jiom pi pa gao (the chinese sweet syrup for cough) sweets :)

But in the end of course there will be those drivers who are bad mannered etc etc. but well, I think we can't change the driver and his attitude but its easier for us to just forget and move on :)

They always ask me which way i wanna go by.

I feel like telling them "the cheapest way pls"...

One thing I noticed about S'porean taxi drivers: They die-die also won't refer to the street directory. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a taxi driver dunno how to get where you want to, and then pulled out the street directory?

I've never seen a taxi driver use a road directory.
In fact, I have to ASK them to take out the road directory and I have to personally find the location myself.
some taxi drivers don't even have road directories. what's up what that?

I'm sick of idiots. nowadays if a taxi doesn't know how to get somewhere I just get out of the cab and take the next one
I don't expect cabs to know every road but when you step in one and say "Shenton Way" and he gives you a blank stare, it's no point getting a headache trying to direct him.

I don't sympathise with cab drivers. They have a job to do and they should do it well, take pride in it, learn the roads. Now that we're paying them more, all the more.

Agree with matt. Yes, I had also asked them to refer to the street directory before. I said just pull over, uncle. Since both of us don't know the place, we will check out the street directory.

The problem now is that there are lots of part-timers who don't know their ways or local knowledge. There are always more than one route to a destination. You know straight away whether they are newbies when they take a route which should not have been taken. But we understand it takes time to get the hand of it and not even all oldbies know every place. Several times I have guided cabbies to Cineleisure by taking the route round its back alley. You can see their faces beaming with surprise when they thank you and tell you that they don't even know this shortcut. :bsmilie:

Since a discussion on taxi drivers..i would like to ask some questions..

Last week, I was queuing at the taxi stand outside the zoo. A group of "ang moh" tourist, was the first in queue for the next incoming taxi. Then a Merc cab came, one of the "ang moh" open the door and ask the price of the fare. The driver replied to them by pointing at his meter. Hence they all boarded the Merc cab, at the same time I saw the driver pressing a button on the meter to toggle the starting fee to start at $10.00.

Question:
Is there a surcharge for boarding at the zoo?

How is it possible the cab drivers can tweak the meter's fare system?

Did you get down the plate number?

There is no surcharge at the Zoo at all.

Cab drivers can add the surcharge any given time of the day if the passengers do not know about it, like tourist.

Since a discussion on taxi drivers..i would like to ask some questions..

Last week, I was queuing at the taxi stand outside the zoo. A group of "ang moh" tourist, was the first in queue for the next incoming taxi. Then a Merc cab came, one of the "ang moh" open the door and ask the price of the fare. The driver replied to them by pointing at his meter. Hence they all boarded the Merc cab, at the same time I saw the driver pressing a button on the meter to toggle the starting fee to start at $10.00.

Question:
Is there a surcharge for boarding at the zoo?

How is it possible the cab drivers can tweak the meter's fare system?

Did you get down the plate number?

There is no surcharge at the Zoo at all.

Cab drivers can add the surcharge any given time of the day if the passengers do not know about it, like tourist.

Agree with matt. Yes, I had also asked them to refer to the street directory before. I said just pull over, uncle. Since both of us don't know the place, we will check out the street directory.

The problem now is that there are lots of part-timers who don't know their ways or local knowledge. There are always more than one route to a destination. You know straight away whether they are newbies when they take a route which should not have been taken. But we understand it takes time to get the hand of it and not even all oldbies know every place. Several times I have guided cabbies to Cineleisure by taking the route round its back alley. You can see their faces beaming with surprise when they thank you and tell you that they don't even know this shortcut. :bsmilie:

Pity some uncles do not know how to use the best directory in town........the GPS system.

Pride.

Imagine u take out exposure chart or "10 ways to better framing". Others 1 look at u know u n00b already.

Pride can be put aside.......if you don't know, just admit it. Why beat around the bush and get the passengers frustrated. Everyday there are new cabby drivers and old ones that retire as well. Young cabbies that I have met have better tolerance and the older gen. Tell them a bit more, they get frustrated. This is not based on my experience only but a number of my colleagues face similiar situation.

I am one passenger gets frustrated easily if the cabby do not know where on earth he is heading too without finding out the destination.

I am a paying passenger but I do not expect all taxi drivers to know the Singapore map but if you stop to read the Street Directory it will help a lot without asking the actual place. Plus not all the time the place I am heading to is familiar to me. I have cabbies circling the whole estate and still can't the place. GPS helps a lot.

So far I only know ONE cabby uses GPS. And it help a lot as there was one day I was heading to a destination where the cabby and I do not know. Both of us were happy when we reach the destination without a hitch.

So nowadays, I will asked the cabbies if they know the place before I board the cab. If they do not know, I will not board it no matter how late I am (because getting into a cab and not knowing the directions will cost me more money and make my appointments even later)

Pride can be put aside.......if you don't know, just admit it. Why beat around the bush and get the passengers frustrated. Everyday there are new cabby drivers and old ones that retire as well. Young cabbies that I have met have better tolerance and the older gen. Tell them a bit more, they get frustrated. This is not based on my experience only but a number of my colleagues face similiar situation.

I am one passenger gets frustrated easily if the cabby do not know where on earth he is heading too without finding out the destination.

I am a paying passenger but I do not expect all taxi drivers to know the Singapore map but if you stop to read the Street Directory it will help a lot without asking the actual place. Plus not all the time the place I am heading to is familiar to me. I have cabbies circling the whole estate and still can't the place. GPS helps a lot.

So far I only know ONE cabby uses GPS. And it help a lot as there was one day I was heading to a destination where the cabby and I do not know. Both of us were happy when we reach the destination without a hitch.

So nowadays, I will asked the cabbies if they know the place before I board the cab. If they do not know, I will not board it no matter how late I am (because getting into a cab and not knowing the directions will cost me more money and make my appointments even later)

Yeah..In fact GPS is a very useful tool. They have gone for application courses, I suppose?

One thing I noticed about S'porean taxi drivers: They die-die also won't refer to the street directory. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a taxi driver dunno how to get where you want to, and then pulled out the street directory?

had..
that time.. i flat a taxi, the driver manage to drive me to the nearby location but he don't know which building is the correct one..
he ask me.. me also don't know.. 1st time.. go to that area.. then he pull over and take out the street directory.. both of us.. finger it out.. then I direct

It is better that the driver not too sure and voice out.. rather than he try to go round and round.. waste ur time and money and u got super angry..

yesterday afternoon i stopped behind a comfort cab in the middle lane at a traffic light. suddenly his reverse lights came on and he started reversing. i sounded the horn once. he then cut out to the right lane which had only 2 cars so i thought ok quite normal. instead he cut further right into the turning lane and then poke his nose in front of the 2nd car on the right lane which happened to be a mercs taxi. i then thought...like that also happy...super hardup. when the lights turn green, he suddenly turn back to the rightmost turning lane. so now he is obstructing 2 lanes - the right lane and the turning late. :dunno:

My contributions to the stories of bad cabbies. Where I stay, if you turn right, its 50 metres to the expressway entrance. If you turn left, its a 1 km to the expressway entrance. And if you do turn left, there are carparks where you can turn into to make a u turn.

I cannot stand cabbis who always try to pull a fast one on me and turn left and when I ask them to u turn... refuse to u turn and say "same one" I turn left also go to expressway..... $(#*$

Once my gf took a cab and as she didnt know the destination, she asked the cabbie "Uncle you know where is it?" The cabbie just refused to answer her but instead drove off. She then asked him a second and third time and finally she said "uncle do you know the place or not because I dont know!"

Guess what cabbie did. He jam his brakes and told her "get out!" $(@@)

Classic man....

yesterday afternoon i stopped behind a comfort cab in the middle lane at a traffic light. suddenly his reverse lights came on and he started reversing. i sounded the horn once. he then cut out to the right lane which had only 2 cars so i thought ok quite normal. instead he cut further right into the turning lane and then poke his nose in front of the 2nd car on the right lane which happened to be a mercs taxi. i then thought...like that also happy...super hardup. when the lights turn green, he suddenly turn back to the rightmost turning lane. so now he is obstructing 2 lanes - the right lane and the turning late. :dunno:

hehe...:bsmilie:

There was once early in the morning when I board a cab heading to some HDB in Jurong West which I am unfamiliar with. So upon boarding the cab, I told the cab driver.. "Uncle, Jurong West Street XX..

The cab happily drove off and before he exit PIE, I remind him the location again but this time with the Block Number.

"Uncle, Jurong West Street XX, block XXX" and guess what his reply :

"Aiya, don't tell me the block number la"..

Huh? I was like, what the hell.. Jurong West Street XX so big, don't tell you Block no, tell you what, unit number is it? what the $*#&$#*^.

well, for me, if im late for school, i would flag down a cab at yishun ave 7. but none of the taxi stop. and the TAXI light is on , ontop. Some Taxi light is on, but they got their OWN PASSENGERS inside. im very disappointed with taxi nowadays. even thou theres nobody in the cab, and i flag down, they dont even stop , they drive pass and look at you.

Do you think isit possible to make a complaint. especially, SMRT cabs and Comfort Cabbies.

Have experience it before? :dunno:

Huh? I was like, what the hell.. Jurong West Street XX so big, don't tell you Block no, tell you what, unit number is it? what the $*#&$#*^.

i think maybe he cannot remember it even though you tell him la

get there then ask you again :)

There was once early in the morning when I board a cab heading to some HDB in Jurong West which I am unfamiliar with. So upon boarding the cab, I told the cab driver.. "Uncle, Jurong West Street XX..

The cab happily drove off and before he exit PIE, I remind him the location again but this time with the Block Number.

"Uncle, Jurong West Street XX, block XXX" and guess what his reply :

Most cabbies know Jurong West St 81, 91, 64, but when you say the avenues they blur liao.
Once I was going to a block at St 81, but it is faster when you go by Avenue 5. I tell him 'Jurong West Avenue 5'. He blur. Then I said, 'Uncle, if you don't know, you go by St 81 also can.' But this uncle's attitude was good. He wanted me to show him.
:confused: Well, some cabbies don't know that the estate is just between St 81 and Avenue 5. You can enter from the front or the back.

....... I know there's GPS in Comfort Cabs now, can always point them to refer to the machine to help them go if need be.

You got the wrong info, there are no GPS in Comfort Cabs, they are called GPRS, they don't operate like GPS as you normally know in the market now.

If you don't believe me, try one cab yourself, ask the cab driver to demonstrate for you, you'll feel that its better not having it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.