Hey guys I nd some advice..

Wow.. Hvn log in for a day and I see all helpful replies! "thx man!"

Alright after above advice. I had decided to keep my kit lens as a all day use lens.. And get a 2nd lens for either portrait or landscape.. Ermm.. Hard to decide thou. Which I had try use advice/post above to zoom to 35mm & 50mm to see which really suit me..

Very very hard to decide.. :( haha..

Just to chk..

I can't really find the thread which had the info of define of like "DX, FX, Prime, standard n zoom lens.." would like to read more. Any one can help?

kenzefizz said:
Just to chk..

I can't really find the thread which had the info of define of like "DX, FX, Prime, standard n zoom lens.." would like to read more. Any one can help?

Hmmmm... Dx aka crop,aps-c sensor?
Fx aka full frame?
Prime, lens that cannot zoom (edited since some people feel sore? Lol) (price also 'prime':p)
Zoom, lens that can 'extend/retract/contract/? Hehee..

Last edited:
Just to chk..

I personally find these information are all over the net. You will have much better hits if you google for it. The wikipedia is also your best friend.

Hmmmm... Dx aka crop,aps-c sensor?
Fx aka full frame?
Prime, lens that cannot zoom & constant aperture. (price also 'prime':p)
Zoom, lens that can 'extend/retract/contract/? Hehee..

What do you mean by constant aperture?

spree86 said:

Constant aperture means that the lens is able to be set to the same aperture across the focal length that ur lens has..certain lenses are made with variable aperture..

Eg. Normal kit lens - 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
Lens is able to open it's widest of f3.5 at 18mm however at 55mm the widest it can go is f5.6

Whereas

Better lenses such as 17-55mm f2.8(regardless of brand)
Is able to retain f2.8 from 17mm to 55mm

Photographers tends to prefer the 17-55mm as it has a bigger aperture thus allowing more light to enter which is good for low light photography and they are also able to use the wide aperture for the bokeh effect..

Hope this does clarify your doubts..

Keep that kit lens. And if u have the great budget go for a 35mm, a lot of users said that 35mm is a easier to squeeze in people for the shots... On the other hand if ur budget is tight, u might go for a 50mm instead... 1.8g will do sufficiently... Like what Kai said in the video, it's the great nifty fifty.

Constant aperture means that the lens is able to be set to the same aperture across the focal length that ur lens has..certain lenses are made with variable aperture..

Lens is able to open it's widest of f3.5 at 18mm however at 55mm the widest it can go is f5.6

Whereas

Photographers tends to prefer the 17-55mm as it has a bigger aperture thus allowing more light to enter which is good for low light photography and they are also able to use the wide aperture for the bokeh effect..

The question was in regards to prime lenses, which cannot zoom. So the point about them being 'constant aperture' is strange. Constant aperture during what?

ZerocoolAstra said:
The question was in regards to prime lenses, which cannot zoom. So the point about them being 'constant aperture' is strange. Constant aperture during what?

:thumbsup: that was what I am asking about :bsmilie:

Shahlan said:

Whereas

Thanks for the explanation, it explains what is constant aperture in a zoom lens very well. What I was asking is that it was mention that a prime lens has constant aperture. Since it's a fixed focal length, I don't understand the reason for putting down "constant aperture"

Thanks for the explanation, it explains what is constant aperture in a zoom lens very well. What I was asking is that it was mention that a prime lens has constant aperture. Since it's a fixed focal length, I don't understand the reason for putting down "constant aperture"

Looks like I explain to someone whom already knew the answer. Nevertheless, hope it'll be useful to others whom has yet to be enlightened with regards to the issue..

spree86 said:
:thumbsup: that was what I am asking about :bsmilie:

Yawnzzz.. U feel sore over my reply?.
Lolz
I rephrase, prime == fixed focal length. ?
Ok?
Happy?

Lolz.

Yawnzzz.. U feel sore over my reply?.
Lolz
I rephrase, prime == fixed focal length. ?
Ok?
Happy?

Lolz.

So you typed it wrong the first time? What is there to be sore about? Just clarifying on a point. Overthink much? :bsmilie:

Last edited: