HELP!!! i accidently formated my CF card

Hi Alan
is your NAS Raid 1 system with 2 HDD only costing $200? can share what system you purchase and capacity of the HDD?
Tks

what i meant was the NAS is $200, Zackt87 already thinking of buying 2x HDDs.

Raid is more for redundancy than as backup.;)

If you accidentally deleted the files, both HDs are affected (which is TS situation). There is also possibility of Raid controller failure and you'll need to get a exact same one in order to access the HDs.

if you read my post closely, i'm was refering to Zackt87's case, NOT the TS.
we ARE talking about redundancy when we talk about backups. we backup so if the main hdd fail, we can still use the backups. isnt that redundancy? also RAID is pure mirroring, no indexing like RAID 5 and above, so if RAID controller or one of the hdd crashed, you still can plug into a pc to use. you just end up with two identical disks.

Sometimes I wonder about the real benefits of RAID 1. While it protects data loss in the event of a single hard disk failure. But more often than not, it is the consumer raid controller that fails first. Also when a single harddisk fails, you are likely not able to access to the remaining harddisk until you replaced the failed harddisk and have the raid array up again. And if you take out the remaining hdd and plug it to a PC running Linux/Win/Mac, it will likely to be not recognised.

I will just get a single hdd NAS that allows for scheduled back-up to an external usb device on FAT32.

yes you can: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/362657.html
using 1 hdd to backup 1 hdd is the same as RAID 1, just need twice the time and double the electricity.
btw, although the maximum theoretical size of a FAT32 partition is 8 TB, Microsoft has voluntarily limited it to 32 GB to promote NTFS. unless you use other OS.

Last edited:
yes you can: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/362657.html
using 1 hdd to backup 1 hdd is the same as RAID 1, just need twice the time and double the electricity.
btw, although the maximum theoretical size of a FAT32 partition is 8 TB, Microsoft has voluntarily limited it to 32 GB to promote NTFS. unless you use other OS.

Yes, you are right on Raid 1. I confused it with Raid 0+1. Does Linux and Mac recognize NTFS now. I remember it is not supported years back and FAT32 is the only compatible file system.

If you have the SanDisk RescuePro software that comes with higher end cards from SanDisk, you should be able to recover files. In fact that software works for any media, hard disks too.

this one is good. :thumbsup:

Quick or full format affect the data exactly the same. What full format does that quick doesn't is a full scan.

Quick format deletes just the FAT (IIRC, all current memory cards use FAT16 or FAT32), leaving the data sectors intact. That's the chance for recovery tools: searching for data sectors and recover from the meta data that the file system still has, although the file directory doesn't show the file anymore. The same goes for deleted files in Windows: the data itself are still intact. The area is marked as 'free' so that the next write process can use the space. That's the reason for the strong advice to stop any writing attempts to the disk / memory card if such things happen. Once the OS has started writing into the space of previously deleted files it's gone case.

Last edited:
what i meant was the NAS is $200, Zackt87 already thinking of buying 2x HDDs.
can u let me know the NAS system that you are referring to, cos I am thinking of getting one..

Try RECUVE, as mentioned in one of the reply above.
However if will take quite a long time for the software to recover the formatted files. Better than lossing them I guess. Good luck ;)

I managed to recover some photo frm my sd ... some cannot be seen .. do i need to do deep scan?

i've tired reclaim (i think is this spelling) .. but its trial .. cnt see even older files but cnt save out .. LOL ..

PM me if you still need help. I have done recovery from CF / SD / XD card with my computer before. Whatever you do, do not use the card anymore as that will drastically reduce your probability of recovering those images.

its not just having 2 external hdd, get a RAID 1 NAS. firstly coping files to 2 hdd is time consuming (1000 photo about 2000 sec = 33mins, 2hdd = 66mins), and then at alot of time we will be lazy to do it and forgot about it.

NAS runs on a network, i map the drive on my pc and everything is automatic from the moment i import my files from the camera and mirroring on the 2 hdd. it even warn be if one hdd is faulty on down. $200 more for avoiding regrets, i think its worth it.

Actually, RAID 1 is simply a automated mirror. That's all. Having 2 backup HDD is more secure than having RAID 1 (if you religiously backup very often).

If you really want secure, you have to go RAID 5 or RAID 6.

But having RAID is no excuse not to do backup. RAID protects against device failure, not accidental deletes, physical accidents, or acts of God.

Last edited:
I managed to recover some photo frm my sd ... some cannot be seen .. do i need to do deep scan?

i've tired reclaim (i think is this spelling) .. but its trial .. cnt see even older files but cnt save out .. LOL ..

If those photos are so important to you, you can consider paying for the software, or paying someone to do it for you.

I have another software called R-studio. Paid for it and never regretted. So far I have recovered 2 full HDD (80GB and 120GB respectively) and many many accidental folder deletes.

Actually, RAID 1 is simply a automated mirror. That's all. Having 2 backup HDD is more secure than having RAID 1 (if you religiously backup very often).

If you really want secure, you have to go RAID 5 or RAID 6.

But having RAID is no excuse not to do backup. RAID protects against device failure, not accidental deletes, physical accidents, or acts of God.

sorry bro if i misunderstand what you are trying to say, but if you backup a hdd you meant to use 2 hdd to save the same copy of 1 right? that means, your main hdd (in pc) and a external hdd to backup and both of them has the same photo right? isnt RAID 1 already using 2 hdd to store the same data? if you use another hdd to backup the data from the RAID 1, wont it be using 3 hdds instead?

I managed to recover a photo despite having written over the same CF card. I used RescuePro for this one. I remembered DoD requires 4 overwrites to securely wipes off data. So even if you overwrite it once or twice, there is still a probablity to recover. Of course, this probability is reduced each time you overwrites.

I am unsure of a full format though. I have tried using this software (need to pay) to recover a formatted and overwritten once hdd with limited success. Only 30% data recoverable.
http://www.stellarphoenix.org/

Last edited:
sorry bro if i misunderstand what you are trying to say, but if you backup a hdd you meant to use 2 hdd to save the same copy of 1 right? that means, your main hdd (in pc) and a external hdd to backup and both of them has the same photo right? isnt RAID 1 already using 2 hdd to store the same data? if you use another hdd to backup the data from the RAID 1, wont it be using 3 hdds instead?

Already told you Raid is not equal to backup. Do a bit of research on this, may be you'll understand better.

Eg of situation the Raid will not save you are:
1. Accidental delete of files/folders,
2. Accidental format of wrong partition,
3. Over voltage damaging both HDs simultaneously,
4. Environement factors like fire, flooding, etc.

Raid 1 only save you from single HD failure, not from the rest.

we ARE talking about redundancy when we talk about backups. we backup so if the main hdd fail, we can still use the backups. isnt that redundancy?

Already told you Raid is not equal to backup. Do a bit of research on this, may be you'll understand better.

Eg of situation the Raid will not save you are:
1. Accidental delete of files/folders,
2. Accidental format of wrong partition,
3. Over voltage damaging both HDs simultaneously,
4. Environement factors like fire, flooding, etc.

Raid 1 only save you from single HD failure, not from the rest.

I think the word "redundancy" is used loosely here. Redundancy of your production environment (RAID 1) and redundancy of your data (backup).

Raid 1 allows for continuity and availability of your production environment giving you readily access to data should your single hdd fails. Backup is making a copy of your data available if your production environment fails. They work hand in hand.

I would rate having a backup more impt than having Raid 1. But the backup would be useless if it is not up-to-date or stored next to the NAS, if the scenarios mentioned by krazyman happens.

Last edited:
true ... i rather spend the cost of recovering for oversea trip .. i'll hv to get a 2 more ext 2.5" hdd for backup in future ...

My hard dick dropped off the window ledge down 2 stories. It survived without a dent and the DATA was ok!!! Get a toshiba hard disc. Best!

I think the word "redundancy" is used loosely here. Redundancy of your production environment (RAID 1) and redundancy of your data (backup).

Raid 1 allows for continuity and availability of your production environment giving you readily access to data should your single hdd fails. Backup is making a copy of your data available if your production environment fails. They work hand in hand.

I would rate having a backup more impt than having Raid 1. But the backup would be useless if it is not up-to-date or stored next to the NAS, if the scenarios mentioned by krazyman happens.

sorry bro i'm not trying to be rude or challenging ur knowledge... i'm only focusing n addressing zackt's case which is hdd failare. not all the other reasons u stated. i'm not saying raid is the answer to everything or its better than backup. i only give my opinion that raid is my choice aganist HDD FAILURE only.

sorry bro i'm not trying to be rude or challenging ur knowledge... i'm only focusing n addressing zackt's case which is hdd failare. not all the other reasons u stated. i'm not saying raid is the answer to everything or its better than backup. i only give my opinion that raid is my choice aganist HDD FAILURE only.

Neither am I trying to prove anything nor correct anyone. I am just sharing my opinion on consumer redundancy methods since this discussion has started. Of course, everyone's solution to the same problem differs.

Anyone with experience with online backup. Are they fast to backup to and restore from? Any confidentiality issues with these service providers?

Last edited: