[HELP] chosing of new camera

Ghost Kelevra

Aug 12, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Firstly apologies if it was suppose to be posted else where. I tried searching the 7D page but got a whole load of sales thread instead. Ok here I go. I'm pretty much set on getting a 7D with a Tammy 17-50mm VC lens and a Canon 50mm F1.4. My question is should I go for a 2nd hand 7D or a first? The way used my previous cam(550D) is I take 4 to 5 shots at a time of the same thing and chose the best and delete the rest.

My tear in head is weather the $600 difference is well worth warranty and the 0 shutter count. I seen the Canon price list CP-M selling at $1990 while 2nd hand it's averagely about $1300.

2nd question I'm posting is should I get the EOS M for my darling. I not planning to let her use the 7D as when she used my old 550D with tammy 17 - 50mm non vc she already complain big and heavy. As we both can share the same lens and I can use it as a 2nd body for my walk around shots when she not using it. The creative filters and ease of use is great for her. I know the auto focus is slow. That's why I'm waiting to see if the firmware update helps. I'm in no rush to get her the cam yet.

The lens I'm ok with going for 2nd hand. As I see warranty for lens is a secondary option. If it's with in my budget I would go for the Canon 17-55mm and 50mm F1.4.

Ghost Kelevra said:
Firstly apologies if it was suppose to be posted else where. I tried searching the 7D page but got a whole load of sales thread instead. Ok here I go. I'm pretty much set on getting a 7D with a Tammy 17-50mm VC lens and a Canon 50mm F1.4. My question is should I go for a 2nd hand 7D or a first? The way used my previous cam(550D) is I take 4 to 5 shots at a time of the same thing and chose the best and delete the rest.

My tear in head is weather the $600 difference is well worth warranty and the 0 shutter count. I seen the Canon price list CP-M selling at $1990 while 2nd hand it's averagely about $1300.

2nd question I'm posting is should I get the EOS M for my darling. I not planning to let her use the 7D as when she used my old 550D with tammy 17 - 50mm non vc she already complain big and heavy. As we both can share the same lens and I can use it as a 2nd body for my walk around shots when she not using it. The creative filters and ease of use is great for her. I know the auto focus is slow. That's why I'm waiting to see if the firmware update helps. I'm in no rush to get her the cam yet.

The lens I'm ok with going for 2nd hand. As I see warranty for lens is a secondary option. If it's with in my budget I would go for the Canon 17-55mm and 50mm F1.4.

Why not consider sigma 50mm f/1.4 OS HSM instead of the EF50mm f1.4?

- I saw the 7D price on technogadgets, and the price it's currently going for is 1.4k..
- What are you getting the 7D for? faster burst rate?

- The 0 shutter count.... I would not have bought the camera if it's really 0 shutter count... cos that one no QC -_-
- 2nd hand stuffs is dependant on how much are you willing to trust the seller that they did not drop the camera, got fungus, got defects etc.. .. .. (if you are not comfortable, don't get 2nd hand)

yes techno gadgets selling at 1.4 and i got my 7d off bns for 1k flat from bns. if u wanna pay 1.3 for 2nd hand might as well get new from technogadgets.

SkyStrike said:
- I saw the 7D price on technogadgets, and the price it's currently going for is 1.4k..
- What are you getting the 7D for? faster burst rate?

- The 0 shutter count.... I would not have bought the camera if it's really 0 shutter count... cos that one no QC -_-
- 2nd hand stuffs is dependant on how much are you willing to trust the seller that they did not drop the camera, got fungus, got defects etc.. .. .. (if you are not comfortable, don't get 2nd hand)

-Yes I love to have the faster burst rates. Into motorsports photography
- lens I don't mind 2nd hand as for body I very iffy.
-I go check out technogadgets now

Thanks for all the comments

That shop (dde) you were referring to have closed operations in SG.

with technogadgets around, DDE's pricing really pales in comparison.

Ghost Kelevra said:
Foooo yoh the lens is quiet ex even if 2nd hand. And the filter size is huge! Can consider since I read many positive reviews on it.

If you are heading to Hong Kong, it is a good idea to purchase the Sigma lens there. It is way cheaper.

I wouldn't get a new 7D IMO. It's a 3 year old camera due for a refresh like the 60D. Would go for a second hand unit for no more than $1.1k depending on condition, especially with technogadget's new grey "shop warranty" set.

Foooo yoh the lens is quiet ex even if 2nd hand. And the filter size is huge! Can consider since I read many positive reviews on it.

For 500 bucks second hand, the Sigma's a steal compared to the Canon which is slightly less.

LiQuiFireX said:
I wouldn't get a new 7D IMO. It's a 3 year old camera due for a refresh like the 60D. Would go for a second hand unit for no more than $1.1k depending on condition, especially with technogadget's new grey "shop warranty" set.

That's what I'm considering. Since it's that old should I get 2nd hand or from technogadgets. The so call replacement 6D doesn't seem like a replacement. So that's out of the question

That's what I'm considering. Since it's that old should I get 2nd hand or from technogadgets. The so call replacement 6D doesn't seem like a replacement. So that's out of the question

The 6D isn't a 7D or 60D replacement, it's a new market segment just like when the 7D was first release. Hopefully we'll see a 7D mkii or 70D next year or maybe even both.