Help choosing a camera!! >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhh. Okayyyy~~ Thanks all for the help! So far I've narrowed down my choices to 3 DSLRs. Lol. Nikon D5000, Nikon D3000, Canon EOS 500D. Although I might still have to wait for... (dunno how long) for D3000 to be available...? Lol. I'm going to check out the other 2 today and try holding them and snapping a few pictures. *prays that salesperson will not hard sell* Hahaha. I do hope I get the testing thing right though. T.T Wish me luck hurhur

all the best!

I can't stress the importance of ergonomics enough. No point buying a camera that you hate using, or that frustrates you during use.
I'm sure one of the cameras on your shortlist would "call out to you" when you hold it in your hands.

Ahhhhh. Okayyyy~~ Thanks all for the help! So far I've narrowed down my choices to 3 DSLRs. Lol. Nikon D5000, Nikon D3000, Canon EOS 500D. Although I might still have to wait for... (dunno how long) for D3000 to be available...? Lol. I'm going to check out the other 2 today and try holding them and snapping a few pictures. *prays that salesperson will not hard sell* Hahaha. I do hope I get the testing thing right though. T.T Wish me luck hurhur

How come you never consider Sony, Olympus or Pentax where they have build-in image stabiliser in the body, so even if you mount a 3rd party lens onto the body, you can still enjoy the image stabiliser feature?

For whatever reason, the TS (janicia) has narrowed down the shortlist to the aforementioned 3 or 4 models.
Let it be so. Don't need to keep up the repeated hard-sell of Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc.

and.... Image Stabiliser was not a factor that was mentioned by TS as a requirement.

For whatever reason, the TS (janicia) has narrowed down the shortlist to the aforementioned 3 or 4 models.
Let it be so. Don't need to keep up the repeated hard-sell of Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc.

and.... Image Stabiliser was not a factor that was mentioned by TS as a requirement.

Because TS didnt know it?

Image Stabiliser is extremely useful when using long lenses (i.e. handheld)

Titan10k said:
Because TS didnt know it?

Diavonex said:
Image Stabiliser is extremely useful when using long lenses (i.e. handheld)

I don't for a moment doubt the benefit of image stabilisation, especially in the instance that Diavonex mentioned.
The TS did not mention it (for whatever reason), so we should just take it as that.

To tout it as a "must-have" feature is presumptuous. None of my Nikkor lenses have VR, and I'm doing fine so far.

Ehhhh. thanks people. Hurhur. Anyway what's with this image stabilisation thing? Is it really that important? I thought since DSLRs are fast enough in capturing pictures that majority shouldn't be blur thus it shouldn't be an issue (I assume. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I went to MS Color yesterday and tried the D5000 and 500D. Ermmm. The buttons on both brands are located very differently, but since I have no idea how to use them (yet), I don't know how the placement will affect me. What say you?

I kind of liked the way the 500D sat in my hands, and probably because my fingernails are long (sounds so bimbo =X). But the fact that the D5000 has the swivel screen thing is rather tempting. I forgot to ask the price for D5000 though. @_@ 500D with kit lens at $1250 + 8gb card, camera bag and screen protector. Worth it?? There was this uncle buying lens in the shop who recommended me the 500D over D5000 because he said the focus was faster (to take pictures of running animals), and easier to use for a beginner. True?

Btw, how big a dry box should I get? How do you usually store your camera, with lens detached?? And when you put in a camera bag, lens detached or attached? Does the manual come with the camera? How often do you 'service' your camera (if service is the right word - like bring in to clean)? How much does it (servicing/cleaning) cost (or is it in the warranty, though I doubt so)?

This is a really long post. Lol. Sorry for the many many many queries.

Ehhhh. thanks people. Hurhur. Anyway what's with this image stabilisation thing? Is it really that important? I thought since DSLRs are fast enough in capturing pictures that majority shouldn't be blur thus it shouldn't be an issue (I assume. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Image stabilization becomes more necessary for telephoto lenses (everything above 50mm). The effect of a bit of handshake becomes more pronounced with longer focal length. Usually, in wide angle range (below 50mm) IS is less needed.

Btw, how big a dry box should I get? How do you usually store your camera, with lens detached?? And when you put in a camera bag, lens detached or attached? Does the manual come with the camera? How often do you 'service' your camera (if service is the right word - like bring in to clean)? How much does it (servicing/cleaning) cost (or is it in the warranty, though I doubt so)?

Smallest dry cabinets come with 36l, enough for one camera with 2 lenses and some minor bits and pieces. Put the camera in as it is, no need to separate body and lens. Just look how cameras are places in the shop - do exactly the same. Manuals are part of the package box, there is a list of items that come with written at the box.
Servicing as in cleaning is not part of warranty. Bring to Service Center for your brand. Sometimes you can wait (30min), sometimes it might take some days. How often will depend on how much you use the camera and under which conditions. Taking images only in semiconductor production facilities (clean rooms) will make the need for cleaning less likely. Everything else will make a cleaning necessary sooner or later.

Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera, but I can't decide what kind/model to get. Semipro or DSLR?

i have stopped following the prosumer market..

but here is something i wrote that still applies.

link

hope it helps.

You are very wrong. Big camera or small camera, you still follow the basics of shutter speed using ambient light. If you think that DSLR will guarantee you sharp pics, prepare to be disappointed.

Anyway, I went to MS Color yesterday and tried the D5000 and 500D. Ermmm. The buttons on both brands are located very differently, but since I have no idea how to use them (yet), I don't know how the placement will affect me. What say you?

I say try the other brands too and see which one feels best to you. It's all up to you, *you* will be using the camera, not us.

There was this uncle buying lens in the shop who recommended me the 500D over D5000 because he said the focus was faster (to take pictures of running animals), and easier to use for a beginner. True?

Nope, not true. Both are about the same. Easiest cameras for beginners would be the new D3000 or the Sony A230/330/380 series due to the on-screen tutorials and help guides.

All this has been answered maaaaaaaaaany times before. Try searching, learning, and reading the stickies in the newbies corner.

thanks all for the help! I've been to a few places to try out cameras but I don't like it when the salesperson is biased and keep trying to push a product. Where do you recommend trying out cameras where the salesperson is not biased towards a particular brand?? How should I test cameras? I'm totally new at this DSLR thing. >.<

I use a pns, but I want something more out of my pictures, if you get what I mean. My current camera is a Sony Cybershot T70 btw. Would probably attend a photography class to further understand the functions and all that of a DSLR, because I don't get any of the information online. >.< Too difficult to understand

Ahhhhhh. I'm a total n00b

unfortunately, most of us here are also bias towards certain brand.

Hmm. Okay. Sure, no problem. Thanks for the information. I was looking at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM this website, and comparing the 500D and D5000, the indoor images of the 500D seem orangey/warm-ish.

Thanks Night86mare. I just finished reading your thread. Haha. I'm still thinking about which way to go actually. Shall ponder about it more. =)

Rashkae, thanks for clarifying some stuff too. =)

Hmm. Okay. Sure, no problem. Thanks for the information. I was looking at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM this website, and comparing the 500D and D5000, the indoor images of the 500D seem orangey/warm-ish.

that's fine..

can always custom wb it..

or shoot in RAW format, and correct afterward.. :)

Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera, but I can't decide what kind/model to get. Semipro or DSLR?

I think you mean Prosumer or DSLR.

I have a point-n-shoot camera, and I really hate the quality of the photos, plus, it's almost always blur because the light indoors kind of sucks. I really like the quality of DSLR photos, but lately with the many new choices out there, I don't know what to get.

DSLR will not solve the "my-pics-are-blur-because-light-is-no-good" problem. You have to solve that problem by learning how to take good pictures, irregardless whether you are using a PnS or prosumer or DSLR.

To be honest, DSLR shots right out of camera ain't that great either. It is the ability to control all the settings that give tools for a photographer to use to make good pictures.

Mostly, I like to take pictures of animals/pets, so it has to take clear photos for fast moving animals. Macro photos (do I need to get separate lens or can the basic lens do fine?), people.

For the subjects you mentioned, there are quite a few lenses, each strong in certain situations, in certain distances (between subjects and camera), each strong in certain light conditions. And many of these lenses will cost a lot more than the cameras you mentioned. And you will need a good Flash gun, with diffuser(s). For macro, you may need a different kind of flash and/or diffuser. These all depends on your available budget, how much you are willing to spend, how good you want your pictures to look and how you want to frame your shot. The possibilities are endless. That is why many photographers spend a hell lot of money.

So as a starting point, it might be more helpful to help you in another money saving way:

Can I ask you a question instead? Erm, what about the quality of a PnS picture do you not like? If possible can you post a sample up here?

To give you an idea what a lousy PnS is capable of:

The following are shot by yours truly over the years, using a compact 5MP PnS (Fuji F450) made in 2004.

And this, an old picture I shot in 1999 using a 2MP PnS (Kodak DC280 Zoom).

Ermmm. Are Canon and Nikon lenses interexchangable? What about external flash?

I read a website and it says that Canon cameras do not have Auto ISO..? I'm not very sure when it was written but can anyone correct me on this? Is this important?

Choosing between Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS 500D, which is recommended???

People seems to forget there is the Canon EOS 1000D which is a beginner's camera too. Hmmmm.... For starting out on a DSLR for a total newbie, I think D3000 or 1000D are good choices.

It's always hard to predict how far one will venture into photography when first starting out, and that is the biggest headache, especially when working with a limited budget.

I for one am glad that I went for the D80 instead of the D40 when I got my first DSLR. Having gotten so used to it, I picked up some friends' D60/D5000 and soon felt slightly frustrated when trying to set this and that. It's a lot of button-pushing and scrolling in menus instead of quick-and-easy push and twist dial.

that's not to say the entry-level cameras aren't good, of course! Technically I think they're as good as the higher-end ones.

Ohhhh.

Ermmmm My budget is around $1.5k? Hoping to not overspend by too much though. Apparently I'm not the only one who think salespersons are biased. >.<

Looking more at the 500D, D3000 and a few other smaller semipro cameras... I'm not very sure, but how much does a flash unit usually cost?? I can still get pretty good pictures without a macro lens right? O.O

thanks all again for the many many tips! =))

If u r buying a Nikon DSLR, get a new SB600 flash set for <350 SGD or a used one..:thumbsup:

It's always hard to predict how far one will venture into photography when first starting out, and that is the biggest headache, especially when working with a limited budget.

I agree. That is the biggest headache. One has to question what is the motivation to go the DSLR route. I do not find reasons like "I want nicer pics of my pets" compelling enough to be going for a DSLR. For some of us who are in this hobby longer, we know that it takes commitment to pursue this hobby. Getting a DSLR is not a one time purchase. It is only the beginning of many expensive purchases down the road. I do admit that DSLR prices have really come down a lot in the last few years, making them accessable. It is a good thing. However getting into this hobby needs some well thought out decision making and commitment, if not money will go down the drain.

Many newbies may think people like us talk too much trash or have a stuckup attitude. To the contrary, we are trying to help. We all went down this road ourselves and would hate to see people spend and waste money unnecessarily. Look, it is actually beneficial for committed hobbyists and professionals that all these people are buying top of the line equipment without forethought. Because, they will buy, regret, and later sell the stuff. And guess who will be right there waiting to snap up a good deal? That's rite, us!

I for one am glad that I went for the D80 instead of the D40 when I got my first DSLR. Having gotten so used to it, I picked up some friends' D60/D5000 and soon felt slightly frustrated when trying to set this and that. It's a lot of button-pushing and scrolling in menus instead of quick-and-easy push and twist dial.

I am glad you are getting excited by photography and D80 is an excellent camera. I use the D40x myself. If given the chance to start over, I would have gotten the D90 myself. But then again, I did not buy the 40x, I got it free from my brother who got it free from my dad. I also got to borrow a S2pro last time when it was still in working condition (shutter gave out). I also got to play with the many film cameras along the way, with no direct cost to me. That is why I can safely say photography is something I like. Even then, I have been keeping my lust for the D90 at bay even when I felt that I have hit some sort of a wall in the 40x. Why? because money is not easy to make and every dollar I spend equates to an opportunity cost to use that money for something else. So, I turn around and start learning something else that the 40x does not pose a restriction on. I mean that is how life works. You look at your priorities and do your best. I know I will never get everything I want all the time. I rather get the stuff I need.

that's not to say the entry-level cameras aren't good, of course! Technically I think they're as good as the higher-end ones.

True, and this makes it all the more harder for me to go out and get that D90. :( I mean D5000 inherits the D90 sensor, the D40x and D60 inherit the D80 sensor. But still, there are tons of features an entry level model do not offer, like CLS, AF motor, better focusing and metering system, etc... but these features are not showstoppers for me now. They might be for some others, especially the ones who depend on this craft as their livelihood.

Ok, this has become such a long post.. i apologize and end here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.