Help: Buying Flash

i comfrim will bring my tripod. So does this means that i wouldn't need a flash, as i had no expriance in taking photo on tour. i wanna take the photo to keep it as a memories for my GF when we are old. So i don't wanna mess up this.

Any tips i can get from you guy before i go for this tour? and i'm going to either Bangkok(if the fighting is over), or Sibu.

And how can i do portriat at night, or during low light? When i only have a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, the other will be tamron 70-300mm f4.6-5.6?

Hmm.. I never take flash on tour before, only tripod. Then again, I don't have anyone to take pics with on tour. :cry:

Those lenses are fine when your have tripod and flash.

mmm, but what if you wanna take night shot for porati? Don't you need flash to do this?
(Please forgive me if my question sound stupid, as i'm still a noob and trying my best to understand and learn as much as i can from you)

When on holiday, if I'm heading out at night I'll just stick on my 35mm f/2 (or some similar fast lens, FA50/1.4, 17-50/2.8) and crank up the ISO to 1600 or 3200. I don't shoot night portraits of my travel partners, there are other things worth taking photos of. ;)

I tend to go for shots like these:

p711176971-3.jpg

p398369590-3.jpg

If you want to shoot night portraits, I think the only real benefit of an external flash is bouncing it to get softer light. If you're outdoors (e.g. walking along Hollywood Blvd, Las Vegas strip, etc) can you find stuff to bounce off? If not then it's not going to be very much different from using the pop-up flash I think. In that case, it's better not to bring it, or in your case, go buy something else that could be more useful for your tour.

Back to flashes though, I have a Metz 48 AF-1 flash. The P-TTL was a bit dodgy for me at first but I think I'm starting to get more consistent results from it by choosing my bounce position more carefully. I have to put +0.7 flash EV comp to get photos nicely exposed. The times it starts behaving erratically, I wish I had Auto mode like AF360, too bad that flash has no swivel capability.

mmm, but what if you wanna take night shot for porati? Don't you need flash to do this?
(Please forgive me if my question sound stupid, as i'm still a noob and trying my best to understand and learn as much as i can from you)

Depends. You can always look for a light source (Eg. street lamp light, Shop front light) and place your subject such that the light falls over their face.

i comfrim will bring my tripod. So does this means that i wouldn't need a flash, as i had no expriance in taking photo on tour. i wanna take the photo to keep it as a memories for my GF when we are old. So i don't wanna mess up this.

Any tips i can get from you guy before i go for this tour? and i'm going to either Bangkok(if the fighting is over), or Sibu.

And how can i do portriat at night, or during low light? When i only have a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, the other will be tamron 70-300mm f4.6-5.6?

Most of your shots will be in the day, mho is thay it should not be too much of an issue w/o an off camera flash. Even if you have an external flash, you will still be using it on-camera unless you are familiar with off-camera flash setups, so in effect its still direct flash lighting similar to the on-camera flash (only longer range). I tend to find that flash is used only for fill light during tours (no chance for strobing). My ;(wife has no patience to wait for me to setup either :sweat:.

My advice is to shoot more now. Practice more and get to know you camera settings and on-camera flash. By the time you go on tour, you will be confident of what your camera and on-camera flash can do. If things don't go right, you will also know how to immediately compensate.

Gd Luck!

Most of your shots will be in the day, mho is thay it should not be too much of an issue w/o an off camera flash. Even if you have an external flash, you will still be using it on-camera unless you are familiar with off-camera flash setups, so in effect its still direct flash lighting similar to the on-camera flash (only longer range). I tend to find that flash is used only for fill light during tours (no chance for strobing). My ;(wife has no patience to wait for me to setup either :sweat:.

My advice is to shoot more now. Practice more and get to know you camera settings and on-camera flash. By the time you go on tour, you will be confident of what your camera and on-camera flash can do. If things don't go right, you will also know how to immediately compensate.

Gd Luck!

Ya, so does my GF. She just can't stand me when i'm doing the setting on my camera, she alway think that taking photo is so easy. No need do setup one lor, and that's why i always take my camera around with me to practice whenever i can.

And thank you all so much, now i understand that i don't really need flash if i'm on tour.

So the things i'll be needing is my 2 lenes and my tripod and i'm ready for my tour? (and ofcos lots of practice if possible haha:D)

Ya, so does my GF. She just can't stand me when i'm doing the setting on my camera, she alway think that taking photo is so easy. No need do setup one lor, and that's why i always take my camera around with me to practice whenever i can.

And thank you all so much, now i understand that i don't really need flash if i'm on tour.

So the things i'll be needing is my 2 lenes and my tripod and i'm ready for my tour? (and ofcos lots of practice if possible haha:D)

Yes and lots of practice . . .

Work out with your on camera flash first... Buying a flash in a rush to use at a holiday seem to be rushing over it, not often do you need those external flash. On camera flash works well.

Don't know whether are you interested in this.
Good to try thou, as sometime pop up flash without diffusing is overwhelming ;p

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...ies/34642-diffuser-solution-pop-up-flash.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/other-pentax-related-topics/4004-fuji-film-canister-diffuser.html

At least it helps you diffuse some of the flash.......

And also, http://www.babydiffuser.com/
if you have lobang to get ^^

Late last year I went to a Gold Coast holiday for 2 weeks and I didn't bring or use any external flash apart from on-board camera flash. Honestly I didn't miss anything. Practice shooting with available light and you'll find that you'll get night shots with nice ambiance. Just enjoy your holiday and don't get hung up with having to carry too much gear and trying to figure out stuff without adequate and prior testing. That's a easy recipe for crappy holiday pictures.

Last edited:
Late last year I went to a Gold Coast holiday for 2 weeks and I didn't bring or use any external flash apart from on-board camera flash. Honestly I didn't miss anything. Practice shooting with available light and you'll find that you'll get night shots with nice ambiance. Just enjoy your holiday and don't get hung up with having to carry too much gear and trying to figure out stuff without adequate and prior testing. That's a easy recipe for crappy holiday pictures.

That's not the worst part :hearts: :complain::kok:

:D

my advice is that if you need to take night portraits where the light is insufficient,

the lighting will more or less be likely unflattering to your partner.

To TS, you are using Kx right?
Why not utilise its already good high iso capabilities. =)

For the question on whether to buy the flash, i have decided not to buy it first. After seeing so many people advising me not to bring the external flash, when i can just use the on camera flash will do.

And thinking that if i buy a cheap buy useless flash, is also = that i'll be throwing my money$$ away, cos i still need to buy another good one if i would like to shoot some event.

Moreover i would rather invest on the 50mm f1.4 lens than the flash after some thought. As most of the time i'll be shooting under the sun, at night, and a little indoor which i think that the 50mm f1.4 would be enough.

Thanks again for all of your help, from you guys i really had learn alot since i join clubsnap.:lovegrin:

Really appreciated what you had done for me, a million thanks to all of you.:)

For the question on whether to buy the flash, i have decided not to buy it first. After seeing so many people advising me not to bring the external flash, when i can just use the on camera flash will do.

And thinking that if i buy a cheap buy useless flash, is also = that i'll be throwing my money$$ away, cos i still need to buy another good one if i would like to shoot some event.

Moreover i would rather invest on the 50mm f1.4 lens than the flash after some thought. As most of the time i'll be shooting under the sun, at night, and a little indoor which i think that the 50mm f1.4 would be enough.

Thanks again for all of your help, from you guys i really had learn alot since i join clubsnap.:lovegrin:

Really appreciated what you had done for me, a million thanks to all of you.:)

When the time has come for you to get a flash, check out the sticky:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692045

It is very informative. ;)

After reading this thread I just remembered that I got a Metz 20 C-2... if I don't need P-TTL and just want manual flash can use or not? haven't got time to check where I store my small Metz flash.

../azul123

After reading this thread I just remembered that I got a Metz 20 C-2... if I don't need P-TTL and just want manual flash can use or not? haven't got time to check where I store my small Metz flash.

../azul123

Have the same flash and it works fine with Pentax cameras. Have to use the flash manually.

Have the same flash and it works fine with Pentax cameras. Have to use the flash manually.
Thanks for fast reply... this is great news. Sometimes a small flash is all that is needed. This can even bounce some more.

../azul123

../azul123

Can use auto mode. I had a Metz 32CT-3 and it work so well with my K20D until it died because I did not use for 20 yrs and suddenly started using it like mad . .