HELP: Black dots on image (A55)

One feature not so great is the lousy GPS. A lot of the images from my A55 got tagged with the wrong GPS data. Worst GPS I have ever encountered.

Thanks guys for the comments. Intrance, may I ask what's your shutter count till now? Mine is around 11k+ when I checked http://tools.science.si/index.php . Not sure if it's accurate though, because I've only around 3-4k photos in my comp. Perhaps the "dying" phenomenon might only strike those who've high shutter counts.

Anyway, SSC just called me with bad news saying that there's a stain on my sensor that can't be removed even through cleaning. Was given the option of replacing the sensor which'll cost around 500+, or live with the stain, which according to them, can only been seen at f36 on photoshop (any1 experienced something like this before?). TBH, I'm kinda disappointed now since it seems really ridiculous to me for something like this to be happening for a camera that hasn't even exceeded 2 years.

In fact, I'm having second thoughts about whether buying the A55 was a right choice - in terms of reliability/durability, though I do agree that the A55 has many features that makes it worthy for its price.

It's got the same issues as any other super budget dslr camera. In others the mirror falls out. On others you get dust and oil all over the sensor...

The a55 is considered "old" for an electronic. Honestly, I'd rather get an a58 for the bigger grip. :)

One feature not so great is the lousy GPS. A lot of the images from my A55 got tagged with the wrong GPS data. Worst GPS I have ever encountered.

Well..
First dslr/dslt cameras to feature gps. At least it's much better now.

I'm actually fine with the GPS. The only slight problem I've with it is that sometimes at areas where there's no GPS signal, photos taken adopt the earlier GPS location.

How long have you been using the A55, and what's the shutter count now? Any horrible experiences with it (e.g. hardware/software issues)?

It's got the same issues as any other super budget dslr camera. In others the mirror falls out. On others you get dust and oil all over the sensor...

The a55 is considered "old" for an electronic. Honestly, I'd rather get an a58 for the bigger grip. :)

Any idea what's the average amount of time before people change their DSLRs (body)? Does Singapore actually have any shop which buys back 2nd hand cameras? I tried googling it but all I could find is people selling their 2nd hand cameras...

Rare to see Rashkae get any thanks around here :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

i do appreciate people who help..

Thanks guys for the comments. Intrance, may I ask what's your shutter count till now? Mine is around 11k+ when I checked http://tools.science.si/index.php . Not sure if it's accurate though, because I've only around 3-4k photos in my comp. Perhaps the "dying" phenomenon might only strike those who've high shutter counts.

Anyway, SSC just called me with bad news saying that there's a stain on my sensor that can't be removed even through cleaning. Was given the option of replacing the sensor which'll cost around 500+, or live with the stain, which according to them, can only been seen at f36 on photoshop (any1 experienced something like this before?). TBH, I'm kinda disappointed now since it seems really ridiculous to me for something like this to be happening for a camera that hasn't even exceeded 2 years.

In fact, I'm having second thoughts about whether buying the A55 was a right choice - in terms of reliability/durability, though I do agree that the A55 has many features that makes it worthy for its price.

MachCurve.. Will check later when im at home..

stain cant be removed? tough luck bro... sorry to hear that..
bad luck can happen to other cameras too...

save now for a new camera.. ;)

Well..
First dslr/dslt cameras to feature gps. At least it's much better now.
They managed to solve the problem from the A77 onwards. No consolution for those with A55 though.

Does anyone even shoot at f/36 in the first place? Almost all lenses for DSLRs will support up to at most f/22 only. Personally I won't even shoot at f/16 if I can help it in normal shots if I really don't need that much depth of field especially for cropped sensor DSLRs due to softness caused by diffraction.

I'm actually fine with the GPS. The only slight problem I've with it is that sometimes at areas where there's no GPS signal, photos taken adopt the earlier GPS location.

How long have you been using the A55, and what's the shutter count now? Any horrible experiences with it (e.g. hardware/software issues)?
I don't use it long enough for the shutter to wear out as I change my camera bodies very frequently. I haven't used the A55 for years already in fact. Apart from the poor GPS performance, I have encountered no other hardware/software issues. OK, maybe one more hardware issue... I really don't like the EVF which is very laggy and slow and have rainbow effects around the edges of objects when panning. But this is due to poor LCD specifications and not an equipment defect issue.

Any idea what's the average amount of time before people change their DSLRs (body)? Does Singapore actually have any shop which buys back 2nd hand cameras? I tried googling it but all I could find is people selling their 2nd hand cameras...

Usually not worth it. Best to sell here on cs buy and sell, or convert to an IR camera

IR camera?
So that you can produce photos with this kind of effects: ;)

133713472.jpg

134051321.jpg

133806503.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks nice! How long did you take before your photos turned out as such?

Anyone knows where I can buy Sony Alpha lens caps? Checked with Sony side and they told me a lens cap for my kit lens costs $20+, which is IMO too pricey. Do shops like Cathay sell third-party lens caps?

TIA!

5 to10 minutes of post-processing time.

Wow that looks nice! How long did you take before your photos turned out as such?

Anyone knows where I can buy Sony Alpha lens caps? Checked with Sony side and they told me a lens cap for my kit lens costs $20+, which is IMO too pricey. Do shops like Cathay sell third-party lens caps?

TIA!

this is digressing way off topic. you can get it cheaper from SG Camera Store at Peninsula Shopping Center.

Does anyone even shoot at f/36 in the first place? Almost all lenses for DSLRs will support up to at most f/22 only. Personally I won't even shoot at f/16 if I can help it in normal shots if I really don't need that much depth of field especially for cropped sensor DSLRs due to softness caused by diffraction.

actually, i was thinking what the stain was in the first place... after all, the mirror box is also a hole :bsmilie:

this is digressing way off topic. you can get it cheaper from SG Camera Store at Peninsula Shopping Center.

Haha yeah...I know, but I'd rather post multiple posts vs multiple new threads. Thanks! Any idea whether Cathay sells it?

actually, i was thinking what the stain was in the first place... after all, the mirror box is also a hole :bsmilie:

Went down yesterday evening (7+pm) to get my camera. Most of the dust spots disappeared. There was however a new spot that appeared at the left side which I assume it to be the one the technician informed me about - a spot which wasn't even there prior to sending it for cleaning. Asked the staff there and one of them took my camera and cleaned the sensor on the spot in about 3-5mins. That particular spot disappeared after that.

If that really was the dust spot which the original technician informed me to be unremovable, then something must be wrong with the way things are done there. And when I asked which is the spot the technician was referring to, the counter staff couldn't tell me that - yet again another area of improvement.

Haha yeah...I know, but I'd rather post multiple posts vs multiple new threads. Thanks! Any idea whether Cathay sells it?

Went down yesterday evening (7+pm) to get my camera. Most of the dust spots disappeared. There was however a new spot that appeared at the left side which I assume it to be the one the technician informed me about - a spot which wasn't even there prior to sending it for cleaning. Asked the staff there and one of them took my camera and cleaned the sensor on the spot in about 3-5mins. That particular spot disappeared after that.

If that really was the dust spot which the original technician informed me to be unremovable, then something must be wrong with the way things are done there. And when I asked which is the spot the technician was referring to, the counter staff couldn't tell me that - yet again another area of improvement.

The service center staff are not the technicians. The ones at the backroom are the technicians