Hello Everyone.. i'm a noob in photography

yep... good advice...always better to check

i have used a strontium class 6 16 gb and kingston class 10 8 gb on my pentax ... touchwood so far so good...

I am considering getting a SanDisk Extreme SDHC for my Lumix FT2, but wondering if it's an overkill.
I can't find information on how fast the camera writes to the card.

How do class 4/6/10 SD cards make a difference on a compact (Lumix FT2) camera?

Could you elaborate a little what you like about your cards please, i.e. the quality, no lag when writing video to the cards, stills are saved faster onto the cards, etc?

I am considering getting a SanDisk Extreme SDHC for my Lumix FT2, but wondering if it's an overkill.
I can't find information on how fast the camera writes to the card.

How do class 4/6/10 SD cards make a difference on a compact (Lumix FT2) camera?

Could you elaborate a little what you like about your cards please, i.e. the quality, no lag when writing video to the cards, stills are saved faster onto the cards, etc?

The higher the class means the read/write speed also goes up.
that also translate to higher cost.

The higher the class means the read/write speed also goes up.
that also translate to higher cost.

Thanks, Skylover.

I understand what those numbers mean.
I would like to how they differ on the Lumix FT2.

E.g. would i be able to shoot in burst mode for longer with a class10 card on the FT2, or would a regular card be sufficient
Is there any information about the write speeds on the FT2?

Thanks, Skylover.

I understand what those numbers mean.

E.g. would i be able to shoot in burst mode for longer with a class10 card on the FT2, or would a regular card be sufficient

to be funk, unless you are using FX and shooting burst mode everytime. Then class 10 would be of use to you else you would not see a big different when your camera read or write. This is only effective if your photo size is very great. meaning to say if you set your camera to save both Raw(15MB) and JPEG(5MB) total 20MB per photos to the storage and the camera has to read n write that fast into the storage for 10 shot per sec which total up to 200MB of file size to write each time.

In layman term, I'm asking 20 people to exit the cinema totally within 1 sec before the next 20 people can exit. ^^

So in my opinion, just get a normal card will do. Class 4 will be more than sufficient for your camera of that build.

in very camera there is a card read/write interface card reader, in many cases, the limitation of the card usable is this interface card reader. if the reader max speed is class 6, any higher class card can still be used (provided they are the same version) but will only run at the max speed of the reader.

manufacturers do not usually release this max speed on their manual, may have to check with them directly.

SD, SDHC and SDXC (D7000) are all SD cards, just different version.
SD = up to 2GB
SDHC = up to 32GB
SDXC = up 2TB (if i remember correctly)

speed does matter for burst shots, uncompressed RAW, and even scrolling through photo on the camera LCD.

Last edited:
Then class 10 would be of use to you else you would not see a big different when your camera read or write.

I used class 10 on my previous body D90. 2 major differences i encountered:

1) while scrolling through my photo on the camera LCD, the speed is much faster and felt like instance, even when clicking through non stop.

2) shooting has no issue i agree, but when i want to transfer those hundreds of photo onto my PC all at once, then i would have to wait much longer using lower class card.

1) while scrolling through my photo on the camera LCD, the speed is much faster and felt like instance, even when clicking through non stop.

2) shooting has no issue i agree, but when i want to transfer those hundreds of photo onto my PC all at once, then i would have to wait much longer using lower class card.

yap.. the read n write depend on the card class. But personally i felt i can afford to wait for the photos to be transferred to my pc. As shooting in burst mode usually would mean you won't wan to miss capturing the moment which happen only ones thus in this case with faster read and write you will be able to capture the moment you wan while if you use lower class, you will lose the moment.

There's no right or wrong to what class to get as it depends solely on the person shooting style and preference. Its up to TS to decide ba..
Things to ponder would be, Do you really need a card that read and write that fast?
It is worth it? Does speed a great concern for shooting? etc. ^^

Thanks guys for the info.
Where would you recommend to get SDHC cards? Is SLS still the place that offers the best value?

Apart from the improvements in reviewing pictures on the camera, did you also observe any significant improvements during shooting with your class10 cards on your D90?

Right now i'm using the kit Len AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR.
-Any other better/good Lens to recommend?
-Which types of 3rd party lens tat can fit to my D7000?
-I gt a Digipod SL1800 Tripod.(Is this tripod gd for DSLR)??

1) Use your kit lens til you find out where and when you need any other lens. Using any supposedly better lens will not improve your images. Learn the basics first. Many people shot great pictures with just the kit lens. Learn how to use it.
2) Those with Nikon mount. Depending on the lens type and the body Auto Focus might not be available. But see 1) for general advice.
3) Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016 Compare with your tripod. Should be ok for a beginning. U I used something similar when I started.
In general: define what you need, skip what you just want (cause others have it, it looks fancy or whatever). If you cannot define your needs properly don't buy anything. Equipment is there to support you, knowledge and skills are the baseline.

Apart from the improvements in reviewing pictures on the camera, did you also observe any significant improvements during shooting with your class10 cards on your D90?

if you shoot RAW or continuous, there is a slight improvement but not a lot.
then again the 2 points i mentioned were good enough reasons for me to buy it. so you have to weigh it yourself, its speed over money for me :)

Thanks guys for the info.
Where would you recommend to get SDHC cards? Is SLS still the place that offers the best value?

Yesh.. SLS is the best place to find your card. Check out the price from level 4 and 5. Check out all the price from these shops on these 2 level. The price vary from shop to shop. ^^

the last time i checked the price around mid jan at sls, sandisk SDHC class10 (30mb/s) 8gb is about $80, the same price as my sandisk CF 30mb/s 16gb which i bought that day.

Thanks all for your info!
Much appreciated!