Hard disk power surge - Possible to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone experienced smoke coming out of their hard disk and the computer shuts down?

I read that this could be due to a power surge. It happened to my 320GB Western Digital. :(

Just wondering if it can be repaired? The data inside should still be intact?

Any advice is greated appreciated! Thank u....

If only the PCBA is fried, the data should be intact. If you are keen on fixing the HDD, you can check the firmware on the PCBA and order a piece of it from ebay. ;)

Same thing, my Western Digital just got fried yesterday or this morning hmm.
Lousy M.I.China sata power cable... killed 2 of my DVDROM and 1 HDD with it.

Datas can be retrieved at a cost. But try running it as slave. I've managed to revive a friends (supposedly an unrecoverable HDD by techies and Seagate) HDD by doing that with low lvl format, etc.

Last edited:
What in the world does "GMAN" mean?
G-Man-half-life-551741_1600_1200.jpg

G-Man.

If only the PCBA is fried, the data should be intact. If you are keen on fixing the HDD, you can check the firmware on the PCBA and order a piece of it from ebay. ;)

Huh... Thanks. Wow, I didn't know that can be done. You mean as in, simply order the PCBA, change it, and then the HDD is working ok again? (Assuming indeed it's the PCBA's burnt.)

Even if it's that simple, I don't have the know-how to do it. First need to diagnose it's really the board problem, then removing and fixing it again.

Last edited:
Same thing, my Western Digital just got fried yesterday or this morning hmm.
Lousy M.I.China sata power cable... killed 2 of my DVDROM and 1 HDD with it.

Datas can be retrieved at a cost. But try running it as slave. I've managed to revive a friends (supposedly an unrecoverable HDD by techies and Seagate) HDD by doing that with low lvl format, etc.

Ermm, Sorry I don't understand your 2nd para. What do you mean revive "a friends". And how can a spoilt HDD be revived with a low level format?

Anyway, think your case may be different from mine. My HDD is not a bootable one, so it functions as a slave already. That's when smoke started coming out and the computer shut down. I don't want to risk further damage by trying to power it up again.

Just digress a little... can those cheap SATA cables really cause a power surge to damage our expensive HDD and even more precious data in it? :bigeyes:

Thanks all who replied.

I've decided to go for professional data recovery. I was told it was damaged by high electrical current. By the way, for those interested, once the HDD is opened, it won't be used anymore but the data have to be copied over to a new one.

It's not cheap (OUCH) but it's a big lesson learnt.

Can share how much did they quote you?

Thanks all who replied.

I've decided to go for professional data recovery. I was told it was damaged by high electrical current. By the way, for those interested, once the HDD is opened, it won't be used anymore but the data have to be copied over to a new one.

It's not cheap (OUCH) but it's a big lesson learnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.