Grey card? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand about the paper colour accuracy part.. I would think that buying good white paper wouldn't be too taxing, given that the matt surface is ideal for such purposes.. It's alot better on the wallet too.
In that case, I think you shouldn't even bother. The difference is probably between Sunny WB and Cloudy WB if you shoot under sunlight. Just set to either of them is fine. Sunny will give you a slightly cooler tone and cloudy will give a warmer tone. So why even bother with white paper? ;)

In event that there are a few light sources of slightly varying temperature, I simply throw my lens out of focus, include the light sources, and use the "bokeh" for my WB adjustment.
It's 100% as accurate as a expodisc, is it not? any reason it's less accurate?

In this case, I would think that it would be more accurate than the expodisc. Anything you put in between would have an effect no matter how transparent and uncoloured it is. :)

hmmmmmm I see..
Thanks lsisaxon.. It's with such thoughts running through my heads when I see these $100-$200 things that alot of different manufacturers are rushing out, that quite alot of fellow photographers are rushing out. It often makes me wonder if i'm missing something out, if there's really some point that I don't understand...

Any other kind souls out there would clarify any bit of things I've mentioned? It's like almost too simple to be true..

I guess you only need it if colour accuracy is extremely important. Maybe more for product shots, cars etc. These things are expensive coz they are calibrated and certified. It's like paying a certified engineer to come down to sign a piece of paper to say that a transformer works fine and pay him $3k for it.

hmmmmmm I see..
Thanks lsisaxon.. It's with such thoughts running through my heads when I see these $100-$200 things that alot of different manufacturers are rushing out, that quite alot of fellow photographers are rushing out. It often makes me wonder if i'm missing something out, if there's really some point that I don't understand...

Any other kind souls out there would clarify any bit of things I've mentioned? It's like almost too simple to be true..
Yeah.. which is why I'm also very surprised why people really bother so much until they need to spend so much money on WB stuff when half the time it's the monitor not being calibrated properly. I never remember being bothered with colour accuracy when I shoot film. ;)

I guess you only need it if colour accuracy is extremely important. Maybe more for product shots, cars etc. These things are expensive coz they are calibrated and certified. It's like paying a certified engineer to come down to sign a piece of paper to say that a transformer works fine and pay him $3k for it.
Yeah. I do fine with Cloudy WB 90% of the time. :)

lsisaxon said:
Yeah.. which is why I'm also very surprised why people really bother so much until they need to spend so much money on WB stuff when half the time it's the monitor not being calibrated properly. I never remember being bothered with colour accuracy when I shoot film. ;)
It's an individual thing, some people have to make sure everything is in proper order and some just don't care. Some in fact prefers it out of whack as that becomes artistic in a way.

I had my screen calibrated and using printer and papers which I had ICC Profiles, still the WB reference is a preference thing. I like to see what is it without proper WB and what it is with. I agree that most of the time one of the in-camera WB should work well.

But, come to think of it, is it really that hard to take an extra shot or two and in PS with several clicks you can see what the differences are? well... to each his own, I won't comment on what others think as what is important in what I want to get out of it and I want to be able to see how accurate my judgement on WB is and to do that I need a proper WB reference to make the comparisons.

No right or wrong answers here just that different people have different agenda and targets/wants/etc.. etc..

../azul123

It's an individual thing, some people have to make sure everything is in proper order and some just don't care. Some in fact prefers it out of whack as that becomes artistic in a way.

I had my screen calibrated and using printer and papers which I had ICC Profiles, still the WB reference is a preference thing. I like to see what is it without proper WB and what it is with. I agree that most of the time one of the in-camera WB should work well.

But, come to think of it, is it really that hard to take an extra shot or two and in PS with several clicks you can see what the differences are? well... to each his own, I won't comment on what others think as what is important in what I want to get out of it and I want to be able to see how accurate my judgement on WB is and to do that I need a proper WB reference to make the comparisons.

No right or wrong answers here just that different people have different agenda and targets/wants/etc.. etc..

../azul123
If you know what you're doing then it's fine. :) I'm not saying that everyone doing a custom WB is wrong, but I'm more amazed and amused by blind followers using anything they can grab hold of to do WB and hoping that the colour will be accurate. ;) In that case, I think the camera preset WB would have been much more accurate and convenient because the calibration is traceable.

Totally agree with you! :thumbsup:

Unless you have ever kena from a CD before, you will never realize how important color accuracy is.

I guess you only need it if colour accuracy is extremely important. Maybe more for product shots, cars etc.

Totally agree with you! :thumbsup:

Unless you have ever kena from a CD before, you will never realize how important color accuracy is.
Actually, for that kind of "accuracy", you would best employ a colourist...really...someone who not just relies on equipment but also has an eye for colour...who can adjust a colour so its more palatable to the human eye than the "real" colour...cause sometimes the product colours aren't that attractive without enhancement :D

Status
Not open for further replies.