Gray Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Kho King

Ian, when u have never heard of a failing SWM lenses doesn't mean that this lens never fail. I don't think that ALL the SWM lenses that produce by Nikon are 100% faultyless. These lenses are expensive, I just point out the fact that if you have to send this lens for service, you sure need to pay much money.

In the 7 years of SWM technology I've yet to hear of one failing. Your point is?

Maybe in the country you live, your Nikon distributor won't touch gray market lenses, but this doesn't apply to ALL countries. Maybe the Nikon stuff you bought in your country is just valid in your country...but this is not the case in Malaysia or Singapore. Nikon Malaysia and Nikon Singapore are still giving INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY to their Nikon stuff. You are not the world...so do you yourself a favour before you start bombing me like before again.

READ WHAT I SAID before you attempt to make corrections. It is patently obvious you can't differentiate between gray and Nikon warranties, let alone the fact that Nikon only give international warranties on a few products and the product must be registered in the country of purchase.

Nikon have a publically stated policy of NEVER repairing any Gray market Item (source, direct conversation with Nikon Japan representative at local trade show) .. and your source of information? You do have one don't you?

I am willing to take up any correction, comments, discussion...butYou are just too proud of yourself...rude in writing...

Who me rude? Never! I just can't stand half arsed jerks who don't know what they are talking about.

Originally posted by mylau

Ian, I understand that you are trying to warn us the risks we would take if we are to buy gray market items.

However, the tone of your first sentence is really bad. I don't think you should insult anyone like that.

You have never heard of SWM failing in the field, but I have. Even my canon USM fails before. You should not conclude anything from what you have not heard.

Not trying to pick a quarrel with you. Just hoping that we have a more gracious environment here in clubsnap.

Trust me here Mylau, if I wanted to insult Khoking I'd have used some insulting comments however I speak the plain and often unpalletable truth which some folks can't stand. ;)

As for failing SWM ... I have no doubt there are odd occasions where one will fail, however amongst the professional fraternity I've never heard of one failing, apart from dying after being dropped which invalidates the warranty anyway. Most of the AFS series lens failings have been switch failures or misaligned optics in the early releases of the 17-35 for example.

No quarrel here!

Following this thread, I also wonder what will Nikon Singapore say. So I e-mailed them and below is the reply...

Gray market product are more or less the same product but the content of the package may be difference.

All Nikon Digital Product comes with Local Warranty from the country of purchase. The warranty card bears the distributor stamps. Gray market can be refers to as stolen goods, goods that are for export only which means they are not meant for local market and there is no warranty.

It is advisable to purchase from Direct Authorized dealers as the product that you get will be under warranty from Nikon Singapore. Furthermore certain products may have special promotion where you can get free gifts.
All this privileges can only be found in Authentic Nikon Products.

Do note that we have the rights to reject any support for user who had purchased a gray product from the market.

Infact all Electronics Products will have the same problem. Which is also why certain country will prevent importing of certain products.

Regards
Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
11 Chang Charn Road
Shriro House
#02-01/02
9AM - 5PM
www.nikon.com.sg

Hope this answer most of our questions. Btw they are faaast in replying to this. Consider I just sent it 3 hrs ago on a weekend.
So in the end to conclude is that:
"There is nothing wrong in a nikon "gray products" (Spec and performance wise) just that u may not have the same packages or contents as compare to the "non gray products". Dealer selling the gray products may not give the promotion items/freebies (if any) that should come along with the package, but in return you may get a lower price or ask for other freebies.
But the worst problem in gray products is the warranty will not be covered and the service center may even reject to service it even you got money to pay them. So pray hard after you bought that expensive lens/body... Good stuffs may not spolit easily but accident do always happen (touch wood...)
Now another questions for you all, will they cover the warranty or service the non gray products if I didn't sent in the warranty card within the seven day together with receipt as required?:dunno:

There was once that I went to Canon Service Centre without a warranty card. All they do was look at my serial no, type into the computer, then they announced that my lens is still under warranty and they service for me free of charge.

Well, IMHO, u may get a slightly lower price if u get gray goods. But since lenses are expensive investments/tools, it would be advisable to buy em from the authorised dealers, esp for big ticket items. ie D1x, 600mm AFS F4 :)

This is a very interesting discussion.

I was in the United States for a few months so when I wanted to buy a Nikon digital camera, I naturally had to buy it from there from an authorized merchant. It's perfectly normal and I had no intention of buying "gray" market goods. However, now that I return back to Singapore, my camera is considered a gray market good and Nikon Singapore probably will not entertain me. ( Haven't tried yet but it's stated in their policy ). Therefore, for people like me who travelled between countries, their attempts at trying to stop parallel importing has disadvantaged buyers like me who had no choice but to buy their products overseas.

I have a hotpixel problem and I wonder if I call Nikon Singapore, will they help me out especially since it's still under the 1 year warranty but not from them? What do you think?

Do you think it's fair to users like me?

their film camera warranty policies are different from the digital camera ones. so I think your film camera equipment is covered with international warranty. but of course, I am not sure because I don't represent nikon.
:)

Originally posted by Ian

Gray items are NOT covered by the manufacturers warranty and in the case of Nikon gear no Nikon distributor or authorised repair agent will EVER service a gray market item, no matter how much money you attempt to pay. This is a cold hard fact.

i thought they do it in singapore it is like you parallel import a car (e.g. toyota) and sent it back borneo motors they will service it for you but then at a higher price loh:gbounce:

any as for camera, how would they know that ur things are gray if you deface the serial number.:D if i am not wrong, defacing of serial number will only void the warranty

Originally posted by nicholas1986

i thought they do it in singapore it is like you parallel import a car (e.g. toyota) and sent it back borneo motors they will service it for you but then at a higher price loh:gbounce:

any as for camera, how would they know that ur things are gray if you deface the serial number.:D if i am not wrong, defacing of serial number will only void the warranty

Don't forget, serial numbers might be embedded in more advanced cameras like the F100, F5, D1, etc, or even the older F4 series, F90 series etc.

They have equipment to download the data, which even reveals how many times your shutter has been tripped. I won't be surprised if serial # is there as well. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Don't forget, serial numbers might be embedded in more advanced cameras like the F100, F5, D1, etc, or even the older F4 series, F90 series etc.

They have equipment to download the data, which even reveals how many times your shutter has been tripped. I won't be surprised if serial # is there as well. :)

Regards
CK

but does this mean that the gray items in sg will not be serviced like what ian said?

and where did you get ur vertical grip??? me maybe next year mid year planning to spent all me savings on camera hopefully on the F100 or F5

but does this mean that the gray items in sg will not be serviced like what ian said?

and where did you get ur vertical grip??? me maybe next year mid year planning to spent all me savings on camera hopefully on the F100 or F5

Vertical grip? This is what happened.

1. Bought a Tokina 20-35 from TCW.
2. Didn't check properly, found 3 months later when I want to sell the lens that it has some fogging.
3. Went back to TCW. Don said "Yup, the fog is already there when the seller sold the lens, that's why it's so cheap".
4. TCW allowed me to return the lens, but obviously quite a bit lower than what I paid for.
5. Since I can't get cash back, and there's nothing else I wanted, I asked for the MB-15.

So, that ended up being my first gray equipment. Next year? Go buy the D100. Prices should have dropped to almost F5 levels.

My guess is they might service, but you will need to pay for it. Even if it's still under warranty. So for gray equipment, might be better to go back to the shop you bought it from.

Regards
CK

Vertical grip? This is what happened.

1. Bought a Tokina 20-35 from TCW.
2. Didn't check properly, found 3 months later when I want to sell the lens that it has some fogging.
3. Went back to TCW. Don said "Yup, the fog is already there when the seller sold the lens, that's why it's so cheap".
4. TCW allowed me to return the lens, but obviously quite a bit lower than what I paid for.
5. Since I can't get cash back, and there's nothing else I wanted, I asked for the MB-15.

So, that ended up being my first gray equipment. Next year? Go buy the D100. Prices should have dropped to almost F5 levels.

My guess is they might service, but you will need to pay for it. Even if it's still under warranty. So for gray equipment, might be better to go back to the shop you bought it from.

Regards
CK

but you see...if i get the D100 firstly i need to change flash me SB28 got no DX. and then i need to get memory then as you know i only a student then go and work part-time...how much money can i get??:dunno:

but you see...if i get the D100 firstly i need to change flash me SB28 got no DX. and then i need to get memory then as you know i only a student then go and work part-time...how much money can i get??:dunno:

In that case, stick with your F80. Save the money on film and processing, etc. Is there something that you're severely dissatisfied with the F80?

Regards
CK

In that case, stick with your F80. Save the money on film and processing, etc. Is there something that you're severely dissatisfied with the F80?

Regards
CK

yes it some hows dun feel as soild

Other than that? If that's the only reason, then save the money. You can improve the feel by simply getting the MB-16 if you don't already have one.

Regards
CK

....i also dunno la :dunno:

I know that the "feel" is very important when choosing a camera but to say that you need another camera just because yours doesn't feel good shows that you haven't made the correct decision(?) in the first place. I suggest you consider carefully before getting an F100 or F5. I would spend the money on lenses if I were you.

yes it some hows dun feel as soild

Okay, so it doesn't feel as solid. Let me add that it doesn't feel as expensive as an F100 or F5 as well. Now, has this ever let you down or affected your pictures? No, otherwise that would have been your excuse. If doesn't feel as solid (not even an objective isn't as solid) is your best excuse (and yes I use that intentionally) then you really do want to find a better excuse before hunting for a better camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.