going to Rome Italy. is it safe to bring dSLR and lenses there?

Hi Guys.
I'll be going for 2 weeks holiday to France & Italy holiday with family. In middle of June to early July. Will be bring my 7R with the following lens, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f4. & 55 f1.8. Mostly doing Landscape & family photos shooting. Not sure about bring tripod alone. Hope that I can get advise fr all of you. So is it safe to bring the following gears alone my trip & any other advise to enhance the safety of family members & gears.
Thank you guys in advance for yr kind advise.
ML

I went in group tours 2 years ago. Generally it is safe. Just be careful of pick pocket. Tour leader will generally remind us of pick pocket activity in crowded areas. Unfortunately, in one of the tours to Monaco one group member belonging was stolen in hotel cafe during breakfast hours. Always has someone to look after your belonging if you have to be away and don't leave handphone on the table! Enjoy your vacation.

Hello! I've been there before. Yeah, just be aware at all times, don't leave it lying around or hanging out and like 'showing it off' then you'll be fine.. Just be more careful along the roads as well as in big crowds

Last year in Italy, a tour bus (charted by SA or Dynasty) loaded with luggage went missing while travellers were lunching. Found bus later but it was looted.

Last year in Italy, a tour bus (charted by SA or Dynasty) loaded with luggage went missing while travellers were lunching. Found bus later but it was looted.

Woah, that sounds bad. Maybe it's parked at a dodgy neighborhood? I guess that's why there's usually one person guarding the tour bus generally.

The bus was stolen within 15mins of the driver locking it, in the vicinity of the Vatican.

I was in Rome and Barcelona last December. These are 2 top places with most pickpockets. I brought along my D300 and 17-55mm lens and flash. I had one backup P&S. I had no issue. You just need to be very aware. They are pickpockets, not snatch thieves. They will not try their luck with you if they observed you are very alert. They would rather try on someone else.

Normal travelling advice - Don't put phones, cameras, etc on the table. Don't always take out phone and check for messages. Put phones and wallets in front pockets. Bags must be sling to the front. At open cafes, put the bag on your lap, never sling on the chair. Use money bag and hide excess cash under your clothes. Put only what u need for the day in your wallet. Bring photocopies of your passport. Hide the important documents in your money bag or leave it at the hotel safe deposit boxes / safes. Of course, you need your passport if you do shopping with VAT refund. But you would have planned when to do the shopping.

Last edited:
I was in Italy in March/April this year. On my last day in Rome, I was almost pick-pocketed in two consecutive attempts while on the metro to Termini station for train transfer to FCO airport for flight back to Singapore. Luckily, both attempts were thwarted by the locals. The first attempt was when I was at the platform, ready to board the Termini-bound metro when a middle aged lady suddenly pulled me away from another teenager girl who was standing behind me. That teenager girl was then very angry and scolding that middle aged lady for foiling her attempt while walking away without boarding the metro. I then quickly boarded the metro through the other door while that lady boarded the metro through the door that I originally wanted to board. The metro was jam packed. So, I tried looking through the crowd to look for that lady who saved me from being pick-pocketed. Coincidentally, she was also turning her head around to look for me to see if I was OK. When we looked at each other, I whispered with "Thank you" from afar. She smiled and nodded her head. At next stop, the metro door opened. A teenager boy was trying to squeeze in and standing next to me. An old guy with his sharp eyes and experience, knew that this boy could be a potential pick-pocket. So, he kept trying to chase that boy out of the train with his high toned voice to attract attention of all other passengers onboard. That boy eventually gave up and left the train as everyone was staring at him. After the metro was moving, that old guy started talking to me in Italian. I didn't understand Italian but I could decipher what he was trying to talk to me - something like I should not put my wallet inside my back pocket as I could be pick-pocketed, etc. I thanked him with Italian "Grazie" before I got off the train at Termini station.

After that, I tried to relate the first and second incident, and suspected that both teenager girl and boy could be a gang. Both of them could be students who did not need to go to school on that day as it's Good Friday and the following week was also a week long school holiday. So, that’s the best time for them to prey on victims.

Last edited:
I just came back from Rome. I spent one month in South Italy. I was almost robbed in South Italy, some people saved me
Rome is safe from mugging but you have to watch non violent crime.
A lady was having dinner with 7 of her friends, n her behind was a wall and half her friends were facing her. Yet her handbag was stolen.