Goa Dive Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerashy

Sep 27, 2004
Hi all,
Just came back from a short visit to Goa, India. Managed to get one dive in around Grande Island just off the coast. The diveshop was Barracuda Diving and they are very well run, professional and good bunch of guys. However the water conditions off Goa is terrible with strong surge and poor visibility. Visibility was 1-2M, sort of like diving at Pulau Hantu except with a strong surge. They said that the visibility was especially bad as there was a storm at the Gulf of Oman on the other side of the Indian Ocean. Under normal time they said the visibility is around 6-8M.

Anyway, my take is that if you happen to be there for whatever reason, go dive with these guys as they are very professional and experienced. This is important since the current and the surge is quite strong in certain parts. Plus, there is nothing much to do on land anyway.

However I would not recommend making a trip there just to dive. You get much better around South East Asia.

Here are some shots taken with Fuji F31fd using Fuji u/w case, no strobe. Cannot compare with the pros on this forum-lah, but just to show what it looked liked...

I call this "Fish silhouette", not edited except to resize
SuzyWreck1.jpg

Stone Fish, edited using PS to adjust levels
SuzyWreck2.jpg

Cheers.

Thanks for pictures. Always wondered what Goa was like underwater.

Goa got lots to do above water right? It quite a party place, ive heard.

Thanks for pictures. Always wondered what Goa was like underwater.

Goa got lots to do above water right? It quite a party place, ive heard.

Goa is supposed to have rave parties on the beach. I did not have the chance to go to one. Besides the beach and the parties, nothing else to see except old churches and buildings.

I have a friend from Goa, she told me that the current is very strong there so no good diving....is it true?? From your pictures the viz looks bad :sweat:

i heard from my friend that they managed to see a lot of mantas, about 20 or so...so Goa is not that bad...

i heard from my friend that they managed to see a lot of mantas, about 20 or so...so Goa is not that bad...

It depends if he went further south and dived outside the vicinity of Panajim. I hear its quite nice further south by 12 hours on road.

Status
Not open for further replies.