Give me some good reasons to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drudkh said:
focal length is 280mm not 420mm.
why is that not possible?
i have taken photos at that kind of shutter speed at 300mm.

Hi Drudkh,

Now I've a little bit confuse. because my photo have posted to other forums. they advised me that the shuttle speed = 1/focal length. they apply conventional focal length into this formula. let say I using 70-300 lens. at 300mm end, the focal length with crop factor is 450mm. so my shuttle speed at least 1/500. if AS can give me 2 stop, mean 1/500 > 1/125. so I should use 1/125 for my shuttle speed.

+evenstar said:
Canon IS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shot with a 70-200 f2.8L IS at 1/10s and still get tack sharp images (handheld)

That's good. I'm so happy for you........;)

kacang said:
Hi Drudkh,

Now I've a little bit confuse. because my photo have posted to other forums. they advised me that the shuttle speed = 1/focal length. they apply conventional focal length into this formula. let say I using 70-300 lens. at 300mm end, the focal length with crop factor is 450mm. so my shuttle speed at least 1/500. if AS can give me 2 stop, mean 1/500 > 1/125. so I should use 1/125 for my shuttle speed.
that formula is just a general guide. no one has the same holding techique. some people with IS/AS/VR also have to use 1/250. if you have good holding technique, slow shutter speed is still possible.

you can also find stationary things to help you stabilise your lens, such as lean against lamppost or trafficlight post, etc. indoor you can use chairs, railings, walls, doors anything to help.

how low shutter speed you can achieve i have no idea. you have to test it out yourself. for me, 1/125 is still managable at 300mm, 50% chances. its all up to how you hold the lens at take photos. best way is to apply the holding M16 technique.

Canon 5D is really impressive!
especially if u like wide angles.

Canon is the choice of so many pro,can't go wrong!

protrek said:
Canon 5D is really impressive!
especially if u like wide angles.

Canon is the choice of so many pro,can't go wrong!
wrong place, :bsmilie:

Drudkh said:

hehe:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i tot uncle vader like wide angle mah.

handled one minolta DSLR b4,but they dun seems to have wide angle zoom at fixed aperture right?

kacang said:
Hi Drudkh,

Hiee...

The 1/focal length handheld limit is just a guide. Its just a rule of thumb. Its just a cution rule not a MUST rule. As for the focal length multiplier..(crop factor) ....the rule still applies to the actual focal lenth of lens - shake problem mainly to do with focal length not field of view. Some ppl can shhot without IS even for lower shutter speeds.....with the right handling techniques..Hope this helps...

Whatever the system ....AS IS or whatever....sticking to traditional role of thumb couple with these vibration reduction technology is like a double protection ...

;)

rgds,
sulhan

Drudkh said:

:bsmilie:

protek, there is sigma 12-24, 15-30, and upcoming 11-18 DT also. Not sure anything else. Why must be fixed aperture leh?

C'mon.. Canon 5D can buy 2-3 7Ds liao. Better spend the money on lenses.

deslim27 said:
:bsmilie:

protek, there is sigma 12-24, 15-30, and upcoming 11-18 DT also. Not sure anything else. Why must be fixed aperture leh?

C'mon.. Canon 5D can buy 2-3 7Ds liao. Better spend the money on lenses.

Canon 5D costs 400,000 yen. Thats about RM13K+

fixed aperture is better if u shoot under controlled lighting,sometimes the pix might get under abit when u zoom out more.

never use sigma lenses b4,not sure how it performs.

hehe wrong camp again :p

sulhan said:
Hiee...

The 1/focal length handheld limit is just a guide. Its just a rule of thumb. Its just a cution rule not a MUST rule. As for the focal length multiplier..(crop factor) ....the rule still applies to the actual focal lenth of lens - shake problem mainly to do with focal length not field of view.

rgds,
sulhan

no lor. I think the rule applies to focal length * crop factor. Very simple test. Imagine you have a huge crop factor on a 20mm lens. You will have difficulty even holding image steady.

Of course, it is just a rule of thumb but the crop factor does make it harder to handhold. ie a oly E300 with a 200mm lens is harder to handhold than and full frame camera with 200mm lens.

vader said:
buy Minolta DSLR camera instead of Canon DSLR camera...Cameras in mind is 350D or the 5D...

ok here's my take:

1) AntiShake works with almost all range of lens (with 1 or 2 exception as KM mentioned)
2) most Vivid colors among DSLR (w/o much PS needed)
3) No need expensive lens ($$$$ -4 figures) to bring out good color.
4) Cheaper lens though limited (no problem with 3rd party either)
5) Comparable low noise ISO level with the competition.

So even if you are an amatuer/newbie, go for Minolta. Even you are not, you can also go Minolta. :bsmilie: :angel:

i don't have either dslr.. but i've a fren who uses 350D. His opinion over minolta dslr was the purple edges. He showed me by taking a photo taken with D7D from dpreview, at original resolution and zoom in. It may not be an issue at all. He says it's due to algorithm/sensor etc. Just a thought.

yoo vadar, ask me. I am the right person, don't believe me ask Drudkh and sulhan, i have think about this already. both you and I know minolta system well enough, including old lens. if 5D vs 350D, go for 5D, if 7D vs 20D or better, go for canon.

since you have a good array of lens, buy 7D rather than 350D or 5D lar.

how about this?
compatible with the legendary great rokkor manual lens, at a great price?

As for colour wise, i have this to share. I was shooting an event as a "backup". the main was using 350D with 24-70 sigma 2.8, bounce flash, AWB. but most of his shots turn out to be de-saturated and differ from the main colour by a large extent. I was using the 7D.
;)

forbytes said:
As for colour wise, i have this to share. I was shooting an event as a "backup". the main was using 350D with 24-70 sigma 2.8, bounce flash, AWB. but most of his shots turn out to be de-saturated and differ from the main colour by a large extent. I was using the 7D.
;)
so what was the result from the 7D? :dunno: your story has ending one. ;p

protrek said:
hehe:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i tot uncle vader like wide angle mah.

handled one minolta DSLR b4,but they dun seems to have wide angle zoom at fixed aperture right?

Yea, you are right, i do like wide angle and i like my lens to be able to go in close also. So I'm really considering the Tokina 12-24 ATX-PRO lens. built is good and I thought I could try one of those in canon mount 1st. Tried the 17-40 f4 L USM lens, nice focusing and min close distance. Hmm, I think I should take some pics outdoors and look at the angles.

Forbytes, I have since sold away all my minolta AF gear and now I'm only left with my old X-700 camera. Some may thought I'm crazy, well, I think I am crazy.

vader said:
Forbytes, I have since sold away all my minolta AF gear and now I'm only left with my old X-700 camera. Some may thought I'm crazy, well, I think I am crazy.

I will look for you next week hopefully before i start work to talk about it. if brand new/start afresh, go with Canon lar.:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.