Give Encouragement and Attention to Critique Corner Please

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
I think more encouragement and reminders to contribute to the Critique Corner can be given to everyone here. I don't believe we only know how to shoot but don't know how to critique. Some links below for guidance.

From DeviantArt
Pixiq
PhotoSig

Some people I understand prefer to be humble, tend to think their opinions matter little or not at all, or are afraid to be misunderstood.... well don't be. I am quite active in that forum, may be the only forum I'm active in. I'm not a know-it-all or trying to act like one but I continue to practise because it's healthy mental exercise and it's my way of giving back to the community.

One doesn't need to be an expert in a genre to give comments. I feel as long as your words are clear and carefully thought out, as what you write are your true opinions you should not worry too much. All adults here, and if anyone takes your words unkindly then just let it go, art is subjective and often are the feelings that go with it.

I hope it can be implemented that members who post their photograph for critique can be encouraged to do a C&C on someone else's image as well. Too many of them disappear after their first and only post... it'll be good if they can learn to contribute as a continuation of their photography learning.

Anyway, I feel we can be more daring and active in the Critique Corner. If anyone has reasons why they don't want/like to critique please feel free to talk about it here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with this. So often I see critique post with almost no response. And those responding sometimes are "Nice pictures", true or not, it doesn't help the person much.

The main issue is that after a while, there's only so much of the same thing you can see where you give the same advice... After the 50th "Helix bridge and MBS" shot all with the same problems, you lose the motivation...

Also, many users cannot stand critique - they only *want* the "nice picture!!" response and anything else they'll argue with.

Also, many users cannot stand critique - they only *want* the "nice picture!!" response and anything else they'll argue with.

how true....

Some cant take negative CC and if the CC was a little harsh.. they make a hoohaa of it..
and some even asked you to show ur photos for them to see and worst they criticised ur photos instead.. ROFL

Hey all, thanks for dropping in.

Some negative responses cannot be helped, the best is not to become emotional and remain subjective. For some reason people are easier to get angry over some words and then the tit for tat starts. I also have a few issues I'd like to unload but that's not my aim here. If we could, for this thread, I hope we can talk about personal reasons why you offer or not offer critique.

I want to understand why most people don't offer critique, and the reasons why some of us do. With this knowledge maybe we can turn it around.

Let me start off by talking about myself, why I do this and how I benefit. Now that I write it out, my reasons may sound very much selfish actually.

I practise critique because it helps keep my mind fresh. I can't be everywhere and anytime in the world taking every photograph imaginable and obviously there are some genres which I have no interest in and others which I have a passion for. So for the former I use to challenge myself and the latter to fine tune my instincts. How many people I've really helped or not helped I wouldn't know. I've gotten what I came to get, which was a challenge.

If they thank me it's a good feeling, if they engage me in discussion it's interesting and if they react adversely I don't reply. I may defend my opinion but I don't have to win it.

My argument why more people should critique is this: aren't I winning more than than the actual person asking for critique? It may not sound nice, we all want to say it's because you're going to be helping others in their photography. Look at in from the darker side or kiasu angle, you give, you also gain. You don't lose out in the transaction. (I'm simplifying this of course)

Really would like to hear the personal reasons of those who don't critique. Hope those who stumble into this thread can help to reach out to your friends in CS, but no spamming or otherwise illegal actions please. Thanks!

The main issue is that after a while, there's only so much of the same thing you can see where you give the same advice... After the 50th "Helix bridge and MBS" shot all with the same problems, you lose the motivation...

I feel your pain. But really, if we had more people critiquing, surely there will be some who haven't commented on a 'Helix Bridge & MBS' photograph before.

The way I handle it, for photos like CBD skyline or the 51st "Helix & MBS" I don't offer critique unless something special piques my interest. Because I know common issues are the easiest to comment on and there are other members who can do it. The other condition for I offer critique is when a thread has gone un-replied for days, then I take it as a challenge to offer something. So that may be a way some of us can use to keep from getting jaded.

Thanks to foxtwo for the timely reminder, i'll try to post up some photos for critique and also share my views for other's photos. agree that we also gain when sharing our views for a photo since we put thought into a picture, whether it is taken by ourselves or not.

To answer your question, used to not give critique as i always thought i'm not qualified to. Even though i'm learning quite a bit from the forum, i was pretty afraid that my views would be wrong advice/suggestions due to my lack of experience/skill/thought etc.

but on second thought, photography is for all, not just for the pros or those who are technically great or super dedicated to delve deep into the details of the various aspects of a great hobby that combines technology, art, skill, fun and so on... We all vary in our degree of grasping these various components, but it doesn't mean we have any less right to participate.

Hi all, just sharing some thoughts after TS stood up and pointed out this problem.

I do offer some comments on other sections such as travelling, close up etc. But not often in the critique corner.

Whenever i ventured into the critique forum, honestly the works are not as great as other sub-sections, but thats why they are in the critique corner as people wanting to try out and getting people's attention or advise. Yes, there are hostile TSers who wants nothing more than a "nice!!" and when often fellow CSers go in-depth, they regard it as a challenge with the help of other CSers nodding their heads away too. Btw, I disregard those who copied the works of others without implementing any creativity to the shot or utterly disgraced it.

But there exist other threads which had good motivation, they do up potential shots, treats fellow CSers with respect and with a keen sense for learning, those threads achieve their motivation by posting a thread.

Conclusion, the attitude of the CSer, the motivation and intention of the CSer, basically if everyone goes in there with a student mentality they would improve, learn and CSers would gladly be willing to contribute towards their success.

Cheers

Maybe can do a stickie instruction of how to take MBS and helix bridge?

how true....

Some cant take negative CC and if the CC was a little harsh.. they make a hoohaa of it..
and some even asked you to show ur photos for them to see and worst they criticised ur photos instead.. ROFL

There maybe a few individual who behave as such but I think, overall the threadstarters in Critique Corner are eager to learn. More so than other photo thread subforum as they put their photo and themselves on the firing line and the extra effort in write-up more or less show that he is looking for critique instead of simply posting a photo without writing much or any of the thoughts of the photo as seen in other photo subforum.

So because of these few individuals you have described, you will stop helping those who are sincere and really looking for some help? Anyway, those who just like their photos be praised and can't take any criticism, I will just ignore them and leave them alone. It isn't that hard, right?

Thanks tortise & saveDqueen for dropping by =)

Maybe can do a stickie instruction of how to take MBS and helix bridge? .... ....

Hah, well... I think we shouldn't try to stifle creativity by dictating how these locations should be photographed. The joy in taking photographs is sometimes an unintended mistake/action can lead to beautiful results, it has happened to me more times than I can count.

Btw, thanks also to you for being an active c&c participator ^^

Hah, well... I think we shouldn't try to stifle creativity by dictating how these locations should be photographed. The joy in taking photographs is sometimes an unintended mistake/action can lead to beautiful results, it has happened to me more times than I can count.

Btw, thanks also to you for being an active c&c participator ^^

You are right about not stifling creativity.

For me, I look at it this way. Shooting MBS is my proving ground. Picking up different technique and trying it out here. Since this is a shoot to death scene, there will be many photos to compare with and see how much I have improved. Discounting composition skills since this is a pretty straight forward shoot unless one would like to explore different angles.

So, for those who have just started picking up photography, this is the best place to get the basics right and can later move on to shoot other things. Though each photo may be unique but generally the conditions probably maybe similar. So, my view that having a stickie photo shooting instruction will be best use of time efficiently to help these people.

trying my best to contribute here. Just that I have been there, like other ts. The feeling of been totally ignore is kinda like
d1eef220.gif
. "Is my photo that bad that it is totally hopeless to critique?":p

If you find that my comment aren't quite right, it will be good to even get comment on comment here.

Last edited:
You are right about not stifling creativity.

For me, I look at it this way. Shooting MBS is my proving ground. Picking up different technique and trying it out here. Since this is a shoot to death scene, there will be many photos to compare with and see how much I have improved. Discounting composition skills since this is a pretty straight forward shoot unless one would like to explore different angles.

So, for those who have just started picking up photography, this is the best place to get the basics right and can later move on to shoot other things. Though each photo may be unique but generally the conditions probably maybe similar. So, my view that having a stickie photo shooting instruction will be best use of time efficiently to help these people.

trying my best to contribute here. Just that I have been there, like other ts. The feeling of been totally ignore is kinda like
d1eef220.gif
. "Is my photo that bad that it is totally hopeless to critique?":p

If you find that my comment aren't quite right, it will be good to even get comment on comment here.

aiyoh~, don't so worried la.. lol. I easy-going one, only serious when tackling issues. I can see the advantages a sticky brings, a wealth of information - common techniques to use when shooting architecture at night/day etc. However since I came from the school of hard knocks, I rather people actually take the initiative to search for information (using from 2 or more sources), asking directly from other photographers, do their own recce on timing, angles, trial & errors etc. Well, =) if you or if you find someone willing to undertake this sticky, it will definitely benefit the forum and being able to see our own members take ownership is also a great thing to see.

hey everyone, i just wanted to say something since i came across this thread in the critique corner.

personally, i feel that many people have lost sight of the true meaning of critiquing a photograph. critiquing is very different from just giving a general comment such as "nice photo!" as pointed out here by some of the guys above me. of course that's nice to hear once in awhile but people get sick of that soon enough. critiquing a photograph has to go much deeper than that, otherwise, there'd be no need at all for a write-up as requested by the mods over here. a person can just look at a photograph and say.. "hmm, nice job!" that's it, period.

there shouldn't be this mainstream thinking that only newbs are allowed to post pictures up for critique. i mean, what is this thinking? even pros have their photographs critiqued by others and the people critiquing them might not even be pros or even match the experience level. i feel that people have the thinking of only see-ing "so-so" pictures in the critique corner precisely because of this. so people, step up and post something right here to give this place a breath of fresh air!

another thing i would like to point out and i hope everybody out there will agree with me. i'm sure many of you all know that offering constructive criticisms is more than just identifying problems and outlining good points. the key to problem solving is to also offer an alternate solution to that identified problem. i see alot of.. "oh, your photograph is boring..", "oh, your photograph lacks a clear subject.." etc etc.. you guys know what i mean..

so yup, just sayin.. let's look forward to more interesting happenings in CC! oosh!